Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Center City 162 68.94%
Downtown Los Angeles 73 31.06%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Im sure he has, but there are a ton of philly trolls that have popped up lately.

I dont think it would be bad to be behind Philly, I just dont see how you can say SF is slightly ahead sometimes and then behind on others. You have replied to me before that you thought SF was slightly more vibrant than Philly. To me downtowns are about amenities, vibrancy, density, then you throw in the natural setting. I dont think I have to labeled a homer to think that SF is clearly #2. Ive experienced the competition, and I really thought Chicago would be it when I went the first time. And it is great in many ways, but based on my own criteria above, SF wins it. And again, this doesnt take away from Chicago or Boston or Philly, let alone the holy cow of NYC.....

If you would go back it is based the specific question at hand, and honestly I think we both have similar criteria.

On those criteria though do you place Seattle ahead of Boston and Philly as you just posted? That to me does not make sense. I would agree that one could give an edge to SF over those (or those oevr SF) but I dont see Seattle in the same light, while a nice DT, vibrant and active it still lacks something that to me the others have not to mention the better cohesion into the next set of neighborhoods which are also more vibrant than the Seattle counterparts. That one to me personally is more shocking. I quite like SF and think it to be one of the best in the country on nearly any aspect. And with that said regardless of a specific order find SF much more in the same realm as a Boston or Philly than Seattle (and that isnt a slight against Seattle which punches above its weight and may very well be the 6th, 7th, or 8th best DT in the country)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Wasnt talking about the one poll where Philly is 3 votes ahead of SF on some fictional urban barometer. I was talking about the 3 best downtowns, and it says nothing bad about Philly to say they are not in the top 3.
I'm aware of what you were speaking of and Philly ranks 3rd to me for best downtown.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If you would go back it is based the specific question at hand, and honestly I think we both have similar criteria.

On those criteria though do you place Seattle ahead of Boston and Philly as you just posted? That to me does not make sense. I would agree that one could give an edge to SF over those (or those oevr SF) but I dont see Seattle in the same light, while a nice DT, vibrant and active it still lacks something that to me the others have not to mention the better cohesion into the next set of neighborhoods which are also more vibrant than the Seattle counterparts. That one to me personally is more shocking. I quite like SF and think it to be one of the best in the country on nearly any aspect. And with that said regardless of a specific order find SF much more in the same realm as a Boston or Philly than Seattle (and that isnt a slight against Seattle which punches above its weight and may very well be the 6th, 7th, or 8th best DT in the country)

I would agree in general. I think Seattle only lacks the high density neighborhoods adjacent to downtown. It is amazingly vibrant though and when you add in the setting and the water its certainly does punch above its weight class.....

Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Honestly, does LA have a downtown? What would be downtown? LA looks like one continious medium density sprawled mess to me.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Honestly, does LA have a downtown? What would be downtown? LA looks like one continious medium density sprawled mess to me.

These may help you out.....

Airline Tickets and Airline Reservations from American Airlines | AA.com

Travelocity Travel: Cheap Airline Tickets, Hotels, Flights, Vacations, Cruises & Car Rentals

Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

How on earth can you not find Seattle's next neighborhoods cohesive to its downtown? Thousands including myself walked them everyday with no problem.

Now that I live in Los Angeles between dt LA and CC Philadelphia I find CC the better of the two for now. But in all fairness I find dt LA the most improved of any of the big city downtowns over the last couple of years. What I love is that its growing and improving in all parts, from Bunker Hill to Southpark, the Old Banking District, the Financial District and even Broadway.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
How on earth can you not find Seattle's next neighborhoods cohesive to its downtown? Thousands including myself walked them everyday with no problem.

Now that I live in Los Angeles between dt LA and CC Philadelphia I find CC the better of the two for now. But in all fairness I find dt LA the most improved of any of the big city downtowns over the last couple of years. What I love is that its growing and improving in all parts, from Bunker Hill to Southpark, the Old Banking District, the Financial District and even Broadway.

Not on the level or scale of those in a Boston or Philly (nor remotely close to the populations, density nor numbers who walk to work let alone transit numbers), no not to me.

I do agree on LA (really making some positive strides DC is actually another making big waves in its DT), LA's DT reminds me of many things happening in CC 15-20 years ago and has a similar structure of sorts and great bones to build off of. Though I would say over the last decade in total no DT has improved as much as CC Philly has. After moving away for a while it has been a tremendous change especially if you go back to the 90s and completely different from what CC was in the 80s

Old 10-25-2011, 05:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Plan Philly has a story about the Hollywood section of Abington Township(northern suburb abutting Philly). Ive been through there a few times, its only about 200 homes( BUILT 1928) but its definitely unique to this area.

Look Up! Abington Township's flirtation with Hollywood | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future

Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 PM

I have been to LA, try searching for some on Philly for yourself so you can see a real downtown.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I think it does.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City