U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM
 
221 posts, read 452,826 times
Reputation: 189

Advertisements

Oh what the hec, I guess I'll do a comparison since I'm familiar with both cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
1) Which city has the better weather? I haven't been through a Minneapolis winter yet, but I'm guessing Philadelphia wins this one. I been through half of a Philadelphia winter, and it wasn't all that bad.
2) Which city has the more friendly people? This is a hard one. I'll probably call it a tie. Minneapolitans have a very friendly demeanor, but Philadelphians are also very nice people. I guess it comes down to the difference in style. Philadelphians are generally more bold and direct, which are not bad qualities to have.
3) Which city has better food and restaurants? I'll go with Philadelphia. I will give Minneapolis some credit for all the ethnic restaurants, particularly in the downtown area, but Philadelphia simply has more of these options. And, you really can't beat the Philly Cheese steak.
4) Which city is a better sports town? Philadelphia. Both teams have loyal fans, though I think Philly fans are a bit more loyal to ALL of their teams. Truth be told, Philadelphia teams have been more successful, so I'll have to go with Philly.
5) Which city has the arts scene? I'm probably going to call this a tie. It seems that the art scene in Minneapolis is a bit more diverse and a bit more underground/independent while Philadelphia seems to have more mainstream stuff going on (and alot of undergound/independent art as well). This is also a tough one.
6) Which city is more Liberal? Minneapolis. Philly isn't bad, Minneapolis has a more liberal/progressive and more tolerant populace all over.
7) How would you compare the racial diversity of these two cities? Philadelphia is more balanced racially, so I'll have to give this one to Philadelphia. Philadelphia has about an even mix of black people and white people, with a very visible Puerto Rican population, and a few Asians here and there.
8) Which city is cleaner? Minneapolis.
9) Which city has the better air quality? Minneapolis.
10) Which city has more crime? Philadelphia (and it's a darn shame, one of the things I did not like about Philly when I was there, but that had more to do with the neighborhood I was living in, which wasn't the worst neighborhood but certainly not the best).
11) Which city has the better Downtown? Philadelphia. Minneapolis has a nice downtown as well, it's just not on the level of Center City, Philly.
removed - see room sticky please: I think I know what this category was, and I'll give Philly the edge in this area, though, Minneapolis does well in this area as well.
13) Which city has the better nightlife? This is a tie.
14) Which city has the prettier natural setting? This is also a tie. Minneapolis has the lakes and is alittle hilly in places, but Philadelphia is very close to some very nice hills, and Pennsylvania has some of the most breathtaking mountanous landscape you'll find anywhere.
15) Which city has the better economy? I don't know. I'd say they're about even in this category.
16) Which city has more potential for growth? Again, a tie. Minneapolis has had more growth over the last 10 years (atleast), but Philadelphia does have alot of potential for growth as far as I can see.
17) Which city is more educated? Minneapolis. Minneapolis has one of the highest rates of educational attainment when looking at people over the age of 25 with atleast a Bachelor's degree, and the area just seems very educated and sophisticated.
18) Which city has the better and more affordable cost of living? I'd say Philadelphia, but not by a large margin, based on some of the cost of living comparators I looked at

Last edited by JmanAA; 10-16-2011 at 01:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2011, 03:22 PM
 
4,822 posts, read 4,399,786 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
1) Which city has the better weather? Philadelphia
2) Which city has the more friendly people? Minneapolis
3) Which city has better food and restaurants? Minneapolis (I love Ethiopian food)
4) Which city is a better sports town? Minneapolis
5) Which city has the arts scene? Minneapolis
6) Which city is more Liberal? Minneapolis
7) How would you compare the racial diversity of these two cities? Philadelphia has much more "traditional" racial diversity
8) Which city is cleaner? Minneapolis
9) Which city has the better air quality? Minneapolis
10) Which city has more crime? Philadelphia
11) Which city has the better Downtown? Philadelphia
removed - see room sticky please
13) Which city has the better nightlife? Minneapolis
14) Which city has the prettier natural setting? Minneapolis
15) Which city has the better economy? Minneapolis
16) Which city has more potential for growth? Minneapolis
17) Which city is more educated? Minneapolis
18) Which city has the better and more affordable cost of living? Minneapolis

(Full disclosure: I've never been to Philadelphia)
If you've never been to Philly why would take the comparison test?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,927 posts, read 13,478,445 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
No, NUMBERS are for 4th graders, percentages are for the more advanced mathematicians (i.e. not you). Philly doesn't always represent well in forums, and now I know why! Philly is a great city, nonetheless, and there is no reason to deny it -- same with Mpls.
Do really want to get into a battle with Philadelphia concerning economies?

Population percentage is so trivial when dealing with an established metro area like Philadephia. It had its main growth spurt 150 years ago. The city is maxed out on available land/ growth, the suburbs quite frankly dont want growth.

I have dealings with developers who wanted to build a community along the R-3 in Wawa Pa. Beautiful pastural setting 10 miles west of the city .

Smart Development called for 1200 beautiful townhomes , 1 M sq feet of office space, 350,000 sq ft of commercial space on 40 acres on the old site of Franklin Mint. Never had a chance. Nimbys killed it immediately. NO City they cried and howled.The plan has been reduced by 80 %.

Back to the economies. 2010

Minneapolis- $199 B

Philadelphia-$347 B
Allentown- $30 B
Trenton- $27 B
lancaster-$19.5 B
Reading-$15 B
Atlantic City- $14 B
Dover- $6 B
Ocean City - $4 B

Delaware Valley- $460 B

Minneapolis is nice city/region but come on gang lets not get carried away with some 10 year population growth.


Not going to happen. Demand is there. Developers are there. But the Philadelphia suburbs are not big on growth.


http://www.delawarevalleysmartgrowth...MainStreet.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,501,608 times
Reputation: 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Minneapolis is nice city/region but come on gang lets not get carried away with some 10 year population growth.
The Twin Cities have been adding 30,000 to 60,000 people a year consistently since the end of WWII. It is not a 10 year growth spurt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM
 
Location: New York City
8,088 posts, read 7,337,129 times
Reputation: 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Do really want to get into a battle with Philadelphia concerning economies?

Population percentage is so trivial when dealing with an established metro area like Philadephia. It had its main growth spurt 150 years ago. The city is maxed out on available land/ growth, the suburbs quite frankly dont want growth.

I have dealings with developers who wanted to build a community along the R-3 in Wawa Pa. Beautiful pastural setting 10 miles west of the city .

Smart Development called for 1200 beautiful townhomes , 1 M sq feet of office space, 350,000 sq ft of commercial space on 40 acres on the old site of Franklin Mint. Never had a chance. Nimbys killed it immediately. NO City they cried and howled.The plan has been reduced by 80 %.

Back to the economies. 2010

Minneapolis- $199 B



Philadelphia-$347 B
Allentown- $30 B
Trenton- $27 B
lancaster-$19.5 B
Reading-$15 B
Atlantic City- $14 B
Dover- $6 B
Ocean City - $4 B

Delaware Valley- $460 B

Minneapolis is nice city/region but come on gang lets not get carried away with some 10 year population growth.


Not going to happen. Demand is there. Developers are there. But the Philadelphia suburbs are not big on growth.


http://www.delawarevalleysmartgrowth...MainStreet.jpg
I think that development of the franklin mint site is a great idea. What annoys me is that the project has been reduced so much, that the projected plans now call for some townhomes/condos, and then a shopping center anchored by 2 large retail stores. So its going to be another home depot/acme shopping center. The original plan would be a good change and it would another walkable town area rather than another shopping center.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 11,136,806 times
Reputation: 2449
If you compare apples to apples, Minneapolis swings above its weight and COMPARES to Philly (i.e. scaled for size). In terms of finding a job and whatnot, MPLS has a lower unemployment rate and a higher PERCENTAGE of available jobs. Does this mean Philly's economy sucks? No. Does it mean Minneapolis is much better? No. Are they comparable for discussion? Yes. It's not such a landslide, Philadelphians.

You'll never hear me say that I think people consider Minny to be a greater city than Philly. Minny is better for me, but I think the average person (and especially city enthusiast) would choose Philly over Minny if they only had those two choices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 2,717,501 times
Reputation: 591
we need to see what type of people are voting too. to me ,both cities compare to 2 diff type demographics. under 30 and single- i would expect them to choose philly. over 30 with family and kids- a lot of us would choose minny. am i correct???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 11,136,806 times
Reputation: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
we need to see what type of people are voting too. to me ,both cities compare to 2 diff type demographics. under 30 and single- i would expect them to choose philly. over 30 with family and kids- a lot of us would choose minny. am i correct???
I think that's generalizing, but fair, yes. You can be single and have fun in the Twin Cities though. I'm not sure if you've checked out Uptown, Downtown or Northeast yet but you should before you judge the nightlife. Downtown during the summer weekends is usually pretty banging and if you don't find that interesting I have little faith anything would (most people from out of town that I know have been taken back by its fervor). I don't know how it compares to Philly (sounds like more pubs than clubs -- which I prefer, actually) but I know it holds its own in the Midwest nightlife scene. MSP is also a good place to MEET that boy/girl if you are single.

But I think you are right, that most people who are single and mingling would find Philly more preferable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,748,115 times
Reputation: 2205
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think that's generalizing, but fair, yes. You can be single and have fun in the Twin Cities though. I'm not sure if you've checked out Uptown, Downtown or Northeast yet but you should before you judge the nightlife. Downtown during the summer weekends is usually pretty banging and if you don't find that interesting I have little faith anything would (most people from out of town that I know have been taken back by its fervor). I don't know how it compares to Philly (sounds like more pubs than clubs -- which I prefer, actually) but I know it holds its own in the Midwest nightlife scene. MSP is also a good place to MEET that boy/girl if you are single.

But I think you are right, that most people who are single and mingling would find Philly more preferable.
As a city in the center of 6 million person metro Philadelphia has night life options of every possible kind. Agree though that Minny nightlife scene is underrated and plenty of people in the under 30 crowd might prefer the twin cities.

At the same time though there are plenty of people who are past their 30s who would prefer Philadelphia, there are more young parents with college degrees living in Philadelphia now than ever before. It's not a universally awful place to raise a child like so many people make it seem. And i'm not even talking about private schools, of which philly has many excellent options. There are many of reasonably priced neighborhoods that have excellent primary schools. For High School a motivated student can get into one of the prestigious magnet schools or one of the better charter schools. An excellent public school education in the twin cities is undeniably easier to obtain, but it's not like this is something that is unavailable in Philly.

Honestly I don't think it's so much by age, more by what type of person you are. If you prefer philly to minn at age 25, chances are you'll continue to prefer it at age 35. If you like Minn more than philly at age 40 chances are you preferred it at 22 too.

I imagine there are people who would prefer philly as a young adult and minn once they become a parent... and I imagine there aren't many people who would prefer minn as 22 yr old and then prefer philly later in life. But I think most people would be consistent in preferring one to the other throughout their life.

Two great cities, but fairly different from one another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 11,136,806 times
Reputation: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
As a city in the center of 6 million person metro Philadelphia has night life options of every possible kind. Agree though that Minny nightlife scene is underrated and plenty of people in the under 30 crowd might prefer the twin cities.

At the same time though there are plenty of people who are past their 30s who would prefer Philadelphia, there are more young parents with college degrees living in Philadelphia now than ever before. It's not a universally awful place to raise a child like so many people make it seem. And i'm not even talking about private schools, of which philly has many excellent options. There are many of reasonably priced neighborhoods that have excellent primary schools. For High School a motivated student can get into one of the prestigious magnet schools or one of the better charter schools. An excellent public school education in the twin cities is undeniably easier to obtain, but it's not like this is something that is unavailable in Philly.

Honestly I don't think it's so much by age, more by what type of person you are. If you prefer philly to minn at age 25, chances are you'll continue to prefer it at age 35. If you like Minn more than philly at age 40 chances are you preferred it at 22 too.

I imagine there are people who would prefer philly as a young adult and minn once they become a parent... and I imagine there aren't many people who would prefer minn as 22 yr old and then prefer philly later in life. But I think most people would be consistent in preferring one to the other throughout their life.

Two great cities, but fairly different from one another.
Good post!

As far as city amenities:city population, at what point is a city large enough to have everything? If not 3 million, is it 6 million? What about 9 million, like Chicago? Or 15-20 million, like LA/NYC? At some point, haven't cities reached critical mass? (I don't know the answer myself, but I presume a city has 95% or more of everything by the time its population reaches 5-6 million, depending on the region and its history, too).

I do agree, though, that Philly and cities like it would be better places for people like me who just want to find a nice, relaxing, quiet place for a drink with a couple of friends (or even alone). St. Paul is much more that way than Minneapolis, and if you are looking for a more "pubish" type of atmosphere people in the Twin Cities just head to St. Paul, and Minneapolis for clubs, bars, and higher-end joints.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top