U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM

13,700 posts, read 20,375,338 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think that Philadelphia and Chicago are great litmus tests for each other. Each city has a roughly equal proportion of ghettos to gentrified neighborhoods, so if you like one city but dislike the other, then the reason for disliking the other should never have anything to do with its ghettos, lest you be a blatant hypocrite.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 04:51 PM

908 posts, read 1,695,038 times
1) Which city has the better weather? Philadelphia
2) Which city has the more friendly people? Philadelphia
3) Which city has better food and restaurants? Philadelphia
4) Which city is a better sports town? Philadelphia
5) Which city has the arts scene? Philadelphia
6) Which city is more Liberal? Philadelphia
7) How would you compare the racial diversity of these two cities? Philadelphia more diverse.
8) Which city is cleaner? Philadelphia
9) Which city has the better air quality? Minneapolis
10) Which city has more crime? Philadelphia
11) Which city has the better Downtown? Philadelphia
removed - see room sticky please
13) Which city has the better nightlife? Philadelphia
14) Which city has the prettier natural setting? Minneapolis
15) Which city has the better economy? Philadelphia
16) Which city has more potential for growth? Philadelphia
17) Which city is more educated? Philadelphia
18) Which city has the better and more affordable cost of living? Minneapolis

Old 10-07-2011, 05:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,565,829 times
For some reason the fact that Philadelphians have pride in their city gets Massvt panties in a bunch. :shrugs:

Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 PM

8,279 posts, read 10,815,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
For some reason the fact that Philadelphians have pride in their city gets Massvt panties in a bunch. :shrugs:
Not really, but I guess that SOMEONE has to take pride in it..

Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,984,705 times
Maybe we need a St Louis vs Philadelphia thread??
Well, we already know how that one ends......1-0! Bam!!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,710,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Maybe we need a St Louis vs Philadelphia thread??
Well, we already know how that one ends......1-0! Bam!!
yea, yea, really on topic. whatever, good for them. give those sad people something to smile about in their cornfields.

Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis.... god the tv execs must be crying. If the tigers knock out Texas I think Ropert Murdoch might commit suicide. This might end up being the lowest rated mlb playoffs ever.

The worst part is my handle will now forever pay tribute to team that collapsed like a house of cards when the games mattered most.

Last edited by phillies2011; 10-08-2011 at 12:44 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 12:10 AM

4,822 posts, read 4,316,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I don't understand this. One of the things open enrollment does is it reduces the effects of segregation. Whether or not a metro area is segregated has no impact on how open enrollment works, unless you are suggesting that people in the suburbs would never want city kids to go to their schools.
I would state that people in the suburbs would never want city kids to go to their schools...

Old 10-08-2011, 12:27 AM

4,822 posts, read 4,316,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
There were some Philly posters who seemed to be treating MSP as some "pseudo-city", virtually patting it on its head, as though it were some kind of harmless puppy, not to be taken seriously; well, there are some who don't see MSP, or Philly, quite the way you do...

Philly has some good points; it offers a more reasonable cost of living, a sense of history, a walkable downtown, proximity to NYC and DC, good medical facilities; I enjoyed the Tv series "Hack", set in Philly a few years ago, and the Philadelphia Trading Card Company came out with some terrific NFL cards in the late 60s ( when Topps temporally lost the contract). But what other city is forced to put a jail in its football stadium?

Philly contributes in many ways, but many of its neighborhoods are downright awful, as many have plainly seen. And I'm not talking about skylines, or restaurants, or art museums. I'm talking about something basic to everyday life, and in this category, Philly is near the bottom.
I guess I don't understand why there is a comparison thread between the 48th largest city and the 5th largest city...how can there be a fair comparison? Philly by default...

Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,925,704 times
Too many questions that are obviously bias towards Minneapolis.

Minneapolis actually gets pretty hot in summer. It does cool down much nicer than Philly at night, though. The winters, I'm about to experience for the first time. Apparently it's miserable.. But I was always more immune to the cold than most people, and I've enjoyed the more earlier start of Fall.Philadelphia has the better downtown. It has the better Food (by a long shot), the better sports scene, and it's among the most historic major cities. It offers all this, and it actually has a similar COL to Minneapolis- So that's something to consider. It's also not too far from NYC, DC, and the Jersey Shore.. the twin cities are rather isolated.
Crime is much lower in Minneapolis, and it has a much more pristine image. It's a very polished up, friendly place overall- But There is ghetto areas that do get rowdy, Minneapolis just does a better job at hiding it.
the people are very different. Philadelphians are often stereotyped to be the crudest of American people, but this goes for anywhere in the bos-wash corridor. There's also the most sincere, humorous people you can find too imo. Minneapolis is by far the most welcoming place I've been, and the people for the most part more down to earth, but they seemed to be more reserved.

Overall I'm going to give this one to Philly.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 AM

8,707 posts, read 9,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
yea, yea, really on topic. whatever, good for them. give those sad people something to smile about in their cornfields.

Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis.... god the tv execs must be crying. If the tigers knock out Texas I think Ropert Murdoch might commit suicide. This might end up being the lowest rated mlb playoffs ever.

The worst part is my handle will now forever pay tribute to team that collapsed like a house of cards when the games mattered most.

Yeah, I know it was a low blow.....
I dont buy the low ratings nationally thing. Its not like the Phillies have a big national following. The Yankees yes, maybe Boston, but last years series between Texas and SF had very good ratings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City