Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Problem is Poverty=/= crime, for example Providence, Ri has a very high Poverty rate, but not a high Crime rate.
Chicago's crime and poverty levels are overlooked by many. Downtown Chicago and near north side that visitors see; it's nice and sanitized. No one sees the ghettos and devastated west and south sides. A city like Philly is old and wasn't rebuilt after a fire. However, Philly's layout is the design cities, especially in the midwest, want to replicate. The Burnham Plan and the city beautiful movement of 100 years ago are not as great as each are given credit for. Actually, I believe they are a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM

100 posts, read 145,264 times
Philadelphia EASILY. Wow, this forum has become crazy. Comparing Philadelphia to Minneapolis? Really? What can Minneapolis offer that Phily can't?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
Philadelphia EASILY. Wow, this forum has become crazy. Comparing Philadelphia to Minneapolis? Really? What can Minneapolis offer that Phily can't?
urban lakes
good public schools
most outdoor winter sports (hockey, skating, sledding, skiing, etc.)

...to name a few. It's not as outrageous as you make it out to be, but Philly is the more obvious and popular choice, yes.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
1) Which city has the better weather? Philadelphia
2) Which city has the more friendly people? Philadelphia
3) Which city has better food and restaurants? Philadelphia
4) Which city is a better sports town? Philadelphia
5) Which city has the arts scene? Philadelphia
6) Which city is more Liberal? Philadelphia
7) How would you compare the racial diversity of these two cities? Philadelphia more diverse.
8) Which city is cleaner? Philadelphia
9) Which city has the better air quality? Minneapolis
10) Which city has more crime? Philadelphia
11) Which city has the better Downtown? Philadelphia
removed - see room sticky please
13) Which city has the better nightlife? Philadelphia
14) Which city has the prettier natural setting? Minneapolis
15) Which city has the better economy? Philadelphia
16) Which city has more potential for growth? Philadelphia
17) Which city is more educated? Philadelphia
18) Which city has the better and more affordable cost of living? Minneapolis
Please try to separate objective answers from subjective/bias ones. FOr instance, you can feel that Philly has better nightlife or potential for growth (odd choice, btw), but with things like economy there are figures to substantiate the facts. In this case, MSP's unemployment rate and its presence of actual....jobs....would likely give it the edge over Philly, today. Same with many of the items, like education, crime, or COL. Or maybe I should just put on the same Philly shades you are wearing so I can see what it's like to look through the eyes of a biased homer?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Minneapolis has a great job market but Philly is no slouch in that category either. On any given day there are more job openings in Philly than in MSP, because Philly is a much larger job market.

There is no need for rose-colored glasses in Philly. The ghetto is there, Philly residents are over that fact, but many out-of-towners somehow can't grasp this simple concept - the ghetto is self-contained, so even though it affects statistics for the city as a whole it doesn't change the fact that Philly is a world class city with a huge economy and a relatively low unemployment rate. Subtract the ghetto from Philly and it's doing better than most of those 'white' cities out there... and that's what comments like yours are really getting at "look at how awesome and homogeneous we are!".

COL is another issue. I'd rather earn more and pay more to live in a great city than move out to the middle of nowhere so I can have a boring job in a boring city and freeze my arse off each winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Please try to separate objective answers from subjective/bias ones. FOr instance, you can feel that Philly has better nightlife or potential for growth (odd choice, btw), but with things like economy there are figures to substantiate the facts. In this case, MSP's unemployment rate and its presence of actual....jobs....would likely give it the edge over Philly, today. Same with many of the items, like education, crime, or COL. Or maybe I should just put on the same Philly shades you are wearing so I can see what it's like to look through the eyes of a biased homer?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Philadelphia Travel Guide: Philadelphia Stores, Restaurants and Bars: Travel Features: GQ

Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Philly in EVERY category....

Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
I second that! Great link, great article.

"You'll find all the buzzy trappings of Brooklyn—pitch-perfect menswear shops in Old City, straight-shooting restaurants and microbrew-soaked nightlife in Northern Liberties—without all the Brooklyn smugness." - GQ

Read More Philadelphia Travel Guide: Philadelphia Stores, Restaurants and Bars: Travel Features: GQ

Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia suburbs have some of the best schools, public or private in the nation.
Although Philadelphia city public schools are among the worst in the nation...

Although I am a Philly sports fan due to being only 2 hours away, if I had to choose which city to live in, it would be Minneapolis hands down. If we're talking suburbs, I'd probably take Philly.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Although Philadelphia city public schools are among the worst in the nation...

very true, the charter schools have helped but so much more to do with schools in the city. One of the biggest issues along with wage tax that face the city

Well City Council is number 1

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-13-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City