Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,759,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
very true, the charter schools but so much more to do. One of the biggest issues along with wage tax that face the city

Well City Council is number 1
The wage tax is a killer, especially considering that even suburbanites who work in the city have to pay a 4% wage tax to Philly, on top of 1% to their own town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,711,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
The wage tax is a killer, especially considering that even suburbanites who work in the city have to pay a 4% wage tax to Philly, on top of 1% to their own town.

well the 1% is shared so not on top but agree on wage tax - always hoped for a regional income tax, probably could be closer to 1.5% overall and in line with nearly all area municipalities and this would better cohesion and job center with better transit and use of infrastructure. Philly offers most cultural amentities yet is funded by only a portion of those who use it. Ok off my soapbox

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,759,229 times
I could see suburban residents who work in the city paying some sort of "commuter tax," but 4% or so seems excessive. 0.5% to 1% seems fair. A commuter tax was tried in Scranton, but the outrage pretty much had it squashed. Even in a smaller area like Scranton, the city disproportionately hosts a lot of nonprofits that also get utilized by people outside the city...hospitals, colleges, libraries, private schools, etc. Cities have a lot of land taken up by nonprofits, and the tax burden gets shifted to the city residents.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,789,467 times
There is a lot of east coast hubris on this thread, but most folks in Minneapolis probably don't care enough to argue with you guys.

I grew up out east but choose to live in Minneapolis because it is a cool city. It is the freak magnet of the prairie, there are a lot of interesting weirdos here. Philly on the other hand is more of an establishment type city, which in my mind is a knock against it.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,652,469 times
Care to elaborate, 'out east' is a bit vague and I'm thinking you might not know anything about Philly, seeing how you just called it an 'establishment type city' which is the first time I've heard that wording used to describe the Philadelphia of today. Perhaps back in the 1950's, but not today. Granted there are a number of large corporations, educational institutions and federal govt. offices here, but I never, ever think of Philly as being 'establishment', whatever you mean by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
There is a lot of east coast hubris on this thread. I grew up out east but choose to live in Minneapolis because it is a cool city. It is the freak magnet of the prairie, there are a lot of interesting weirdos here. Philly on the other hand is more of an establishment type city, which in my mind is a knock against it.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,904,854 times
i Just moved to minnesota from the philadelphia area. so i feel i am def qualified to answer this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
1) Which city has the better weather? philadelphia. sorry but the cold weather is crazy in minny
2) Which city has the more friendly people? minnesota
3) Which city has better food and restaurants? philly. sorry but the lack of soul food and jamaican restaurants did it for me. also i havent found a decent chinese place yet.
4) Which city is a better sports town? gotta say philly. yes both cities have the major sports. but philly fans seem more knowledgeable. minnesota fans do have plenty of pride. i mean you see a lot of vikings jerseys. the vibe i get is vikings fans just enjoy going to the games with their families. minnesota fans have pride in their state. but philly is more PASSIONATE when it comes to sports.
5) Which city has the arts scene? tie. minnesota def surprised me with all their museums
6) Which city is more Liberal? tie
7) How would you compare the racial diversity of these two cities? im african american. and i would have to say philly
8) Which city is cleaner? minnesota
9) Which city has the better air quality? minnesota
10) Which city has more crime? philly
11) Which city has the better Downtown? philly. sorry ive been to nicolett mall. very boring.
13) Which city has the better nightlife? philly
14) Which city has the prettier natural setting? minnesota
15) Which city has the better economy? minnesota(target, best buy, great job market) need i say more
16) Which city has more potential for growth? minnesota
17) Which city is more educated?
18) Which city has the better and more affordable cost of living? minnesota

Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoeDavola View Post
Which of these two cities would you say has the better overall quality of life? Which one would be the better place to raise a family? There is no right or wrong answer to this question but I am just interested and curious about different people's opinions on this. So I'm just having fun with it as far as seeing all the different answers that you get and what different people think.
oh minnesota without a doubt. philadelphia to me is not a good place to raise a family.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
Philadelphia EASILY. Wow, this forum has become crazy. Comparing Philadelphia to Minneapolis? Really? What can Minneapolis offer that Phily can't?
better cost of living
better suburbs(sorry but the philly suburbs are just as bad as the city itself)
better education
more for your money.
no car inspections. trust me. sorry to say but i remember having to shell out plenty of money to get my car fixed for the smallest thing.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 PM

let me sum this up for yall. negatives of both cities.

minnesota negs
1. too isolated. cant take any weekend trips to major cities. nobody wants to drive to south or north dakota. you have to fly everywhere
2. cold weather
3. Limited african american population. personally i think thats because they dont wanna live here. they give the excuse. oh its too cold. oh its not chicago. its a shame too because i do like minnesota.
4. public transportation sucks in the suburbs. i shouldnt have to catch 3 buses to get from bloomingoton to edina. thats all i will say.

philly negs
1. city wage tax
2. high crime.
3 housing sucks. there's a reason people choose to buy houses in new jersey and delaware over philadelphia. philly is a city you go to party, have fun. but you dont lay your head here. POINT BLANK.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:56 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
let me sum this up for yall. negatives of both cities.

minnesota negs
1. too isolated. cant take any weekend trips to major cities. nobody wants to drive to south or north dakota. you have to fly everywhere
2. cold weather
3. Limited african american population. personally i think thats because they dont wanna live here. they give the excuse. oh its too cold. oh its not chicago. its a shame too because i do like minnesota.
4. public transportation sucks in the suburbs. i shouldnt have to catch 3 buses to get from bloomingoton to edina. thats all i will say.
well, I dunno...it ain't really that cold

(we're required to say that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City