Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city overall meets our criteria?
Denver is better: 131 65.17%
Sacramento is better: 70 34.83%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,844,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hey guys, i read about half of this thread with great interest. so, sac and denver homers...sell this jersey girl on your city. i have a week to spend in either - *in the city and immediate vicinity* - which one do I pick? I don't want to hear "drive to tahoe for a day!" "drive to vail for a day!"....if I wanted to go there, I'd simply stay there for a few days.

Ready, set, GO!!
If you like nightlife, here are the places in Sac to check out:
10th and K
15th and R
18th and K
28th and J

If you are here in the summer, make sure to show up on the second Saturday night of the month. The downtown/midtown areas are packed with nightlife.

Tons of other places spread all around, but those are the main nodes.

For history, Old Sac is a cool place to hang out. There are a couple cool speakeasy bars there too.

Other places to hit up:
Crocker Art Museum
Railroad Museum
Sacramento Zoo and Folsom Zoo Sanctuary

Shopping:
The best shopping is in Roseville - Galleria and Fountains
Sacramento - Arden Mall, Downtown Plaza (which is pretty dead)
For hipster thrift shops - throughout Midtown

Restaurants:
Not sure what you are into, but message me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Some great Mexican restaurants by Franklin, Folsom Blvd
Some huge dim sim restaurants in South Sac
Some awesome Ramen places

The list goes on. Let me know what you are into.

Those are the main things that come to mind for now. Anybody else, feel free to jump in.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM

6,867 posts, read 8,158,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
No, it's a testament to the BAY AREA'S strong sports culture. The running joke of the NBA Kings de-value it as a whole. Norcal will barely register a change in sports culture when the Kings go to Anaheim.

After the failure of the Kings I doubt investors will give more than a cursory glance at Sac for another pro sports team.
Yes, that would be sad if the Kings left Sacramento. They have been here for over 25 years.

You really should get over this Bay Area/Sacramento thing. Is there a big fan base in Austin for the Spurs? (Don't need to tell me about the Longhorns; I get it.)

If there is, then maybe you might understand the connection. If there isn't, then I don't know how else I can explain it do you other than that Sacramento is a region of 2.3 million that as always called Bay Area teams their own, and these franchises have always respected what Sacramentans have brought in loyalty and support......not to mention dollars.

It doesn't matter to a true sports fan that "HIS" stadium, ballpark, or arena is 15mins away or 2hrs away. As long as he has season tickets or the means to get to the game. Personally, I would not want to drive MORE than 2hrs to a game. Regarding the games I've been to in the BAY this season I've never felt the drive was too far or out of the way.

Sacramento is a large enough market to handle at least one franchaise, so if we lost one hopefully we would get another.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,429,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yep, I've heard this before. But, I think about 3/4 of the South Bay are Giants fans, so it would be weird that all the A's fans from SAC and the EAST BAY would need to go down there.

Downtown San Jose is quite charming. They have the Sharks. The Captial Corridor train I've spoken about that starts in downtown Sacramento terminates in downtown San Jose.
Looks like it's moving forward though.

Selig: A's bid to pursue ballpark in San Jose is `on the front burner' for MLB

I think it'll be stranger if the 49ers end up in Santa Clara--which is getting close to being a real possiblity in the next few years as well. San Jose and Silicon Valley just have the money(and the space) to build brand new modern stadiums though. San Francisco will hate to lose the 49ers but they couldn't agree on a new stadium plan near the current site of Candlestick years ago.

Quote:
Number #1 on some lists for baseball is Portland. I'm sure its destiny that you get either baseball or football soon. What's stopping them?
Portland had a local campaign to get the Expos before they went to Washington, but there isn't a lot of support for any public spending that would have to go to funding a new ballpark right now. Though Portland is closer to Sacramento in size, so it's not as big a media market and less lucrative for a new franchise, though it could probably support a team with some success. If the NFL is relocating or expanding, Los Angeles is the city that's going to get a team.

As for the Kings, I'm hoping they can stay in Sacramento. I was a Kings fan even back when they had Mitch Richmond and I was really excited when they were at the top of the West back 10 years ago. Had fun going to games at Arco then too... It'd be shame if they move to Orange County, which seems unnecessary considering the Lakers and Clippers are both so close by.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Looks like it's moving forward though.

Selig: A's bid to pursue ballpark in San Jose is `on the front burner' for MLB

I think it'll be stranger if the 49ers end up in Santa Clara--which is getting close to being a real possiblity in the next few years as well. San Jose and Silicon Valley just have the money(and the space) to build brand new modern stadiums though. San Francisco will hate to lose the 49ers but they couldn't agree on a new stadium plan near the current site of Candlestick years ago.

I have mixed emotions about a 49er move to Santa Clara. Of course, I want a brand new stadium, Candlestick is too old and outdated, fans from the visiting city complain. But honestly, it's fine with me, the views of the field are good. I've never been to one of the newer stadiums, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. The extra miles to Santa Clara would make me think twice about going to games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
As for the Kings, I'm hoping they can stay in Sacramento. I was a Kings fan even back when they had Mitch Richmond and I was really excited when they were at the top of the West back 10 years ago. Had fun going to games at Arco then too... It'd be shame if they move to Orange County, which seems unnecessary considering the Lakers and Clippers are both so close by.
Good to here you are or were a Kings fan. There is hope. AEG, the mega entertainment company from LA is talking seriously about investing $50 million for a new Sacramento Arena. Similar to the Kansas City deal they inked a few years back. (Total cost $400 million)

Regarding Denver, I did go to a Nuggets game. The arena was ok, and its great Denver has all 4 sports, but I still don't like Denver, the city or region,

Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,061,533 times
"Regarding Denver, I did go to a Nuggets game. The arena was ok, and its great Denver has all 4 sports, but I still don't like Denver, the city or region, "

That is because you are a little baby and cannot stand that Denver stomped your butt in everything you brought up! Still waiting for you to refute ANYTHING I posted! You cannot do it!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM

896 posts, read 1,161,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"Regarding Denver, I did go to a Nuggets game. The arena was ok, and its great Denver has all 4 sports, but I still don't like Denver, the city or region, "

That is because you are a little baby and cannot stand that Denver stomped your butt in everything you brought up! Still waiting for you to refute ANYTHING I posted! You cannot do it!
What about diversity?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
What about diversity?
That's probably the only thing imo.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I have mixed emotions about a 49er move to Santa Clara. Of course, I want a brand new stadium, Candlestick is too old and outdated, fans from the visiting city complain. But honestly, it's fine with me, the views of the field are good. I've never been to one of the newer stadiums, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. The extra miles to Santa Clara would make me think twice about going to games.

Good to here you are or were a Kings fan. There is hope. AEG, the mega entertainment company from LA is talking seriously about investing $50 million for a new Sacramento Arena. Similar to the Kansas City deal they inked a few years back. (Total cost $400 million)

Regarding Denver, I did go to a Nuggets game. The arena was ok, and its great Denver has all 4 sports, but I still don't like Denver, the city or region,
No, you don't like denver soley based on a thread discussion. I could do the same and say that I don't like sac soley based one a thread, but I know that's not a good way to judge.

I highly doubt that you've ever been to denver though.

Last edited by Mezter; 01-18-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
No, you don't like denver soley based on a thread discussion. I could do the same and say that I don't like sac soley based one a thread, but I know that's not a good way to judge.

I highly doubt that you've ever been to denver though.
I've been several times, different times of the year. I had to stay a whole week once.

I know the attributes of Denver, I still don't like it.

If's its any consolation, I Love NYC.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,061,533 times
Again, Denver has any ethnic group that sactown has. Numbers of them may be different, but we have them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City