Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why in the world is Houston in this? Embarrassing. Yes, Houston is cheap, and you can get a nice house in the burbs for 200k, but you can say that about a lot of cities.
What I love about the path Houston is on right now .. is it really could not care less about what the oher cities are doing, are How people feel about it.. a far cry from the 80.s and 90,s

Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
What I love about the path Houston is on right now .. is it really could not care less about what the oher cities are doing, are How people feel about it.. a far cry from the 80.s and 90,s
Good for Houston that it is growing, but I don't think it's being very strategic in its growth or urban planning, which in the long run will hurt I think.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Good for Houston that it is growing, but I don't think it's being very strategic in its growth or urban planning, which in the long run will hurt I think.
I disagree I think has never paid more attention to its growth and urban planning than it has in the last ten years. which in why in the last ten years a number of urban projects have been launched to adress its growth. The Best part is many of those projects have been put in the hand of the districts themselves as opposed to a hand full of people trying to make a one fit all kind of connection. The plans allow Houston biggest centers to craft designs that work best for them yet still allow connections to Houston as a whole

Uptown:
Realizing that the uptown line would be snarled in the politics of Houston .. decided to take it mass transit system into its own hands and bring Houston other districts in as partners.
Uptown’s Not Waiting for Light Rail, Planning Bus System Along Post Oak Instead » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape.. The beauty of this is it becomes a work around against those who oppose light rail in the area.. by craving out a BRT system that can easy be converted into rail later..

Energy Corridor:

Livable Center - Energy Corridor District

Westchase:
Westchase District Long Range Plan

The medical center:
While not having a center plan, has begun already to address tfuture problems of growth such as housing and How best to connect the other sections of Houston to its core

Downtown:
Long negelected by the cities so called leaders it has finally become the center of their attentioned again, by focusing on Houston low residency problems .. By using tax incentives for construction of living spaces..

Which has already seen one Highrised bulit from it and now are Four being proposed...Plus a growing bar and club scene thanks to young bar owners decdiing to gamble on DT

Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
They are improving on it clearly. Such as the single family ranch style homes are becoming a thing of the past. More multifamily units going up from midrises apartments to high rise apartments, and more public transit. But they are still making some mistakes such as the sidewalk issues and lack of mixed use projects. Some developments, while dense and better use of the land, still build around the car.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 AM

405 posts, read 822,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What's sad though is that Houston is just as important as LA and Chicago and not lagging too far behind in terms of diversity.
If that's true, then why isn't Houston more popular and what does Houston have to do to raise its profile?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
If that's true, then why isn't Houston more popular and what does Houston have to do to raise its profile?

Houston as of now is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, if not the fastest. What holds Houston back is its lack of an identity, cultural significance and the cities lack of vision. However, no one can tell me that Houston doesn't have a world class economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City