Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or New Orleans...which is hipper/edgier?
Atlanta 31 37.80%
New Orleans 51 62.20%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
hmmm............................

Guess we all will never see each other's point.

I love NOLA. I do... Culture rocks...
I love ATL, but I also hate ATL...

I'd pick New Orleans CULTURE over Atlanta's (and most of the country) anyday.
But I think it's that "trying too hard" that causes ATL to go to the edge. My ATL life was CRAZY!!! Crazier than anything I experienced in NOLA. NOLA was definitely cool! If I had to choose where to spend some time, NOLA over ATL all day. But even with all that Bourbon Street, able to walk outside with a 3 foot drink legally and see naked girls lifestyle, it didn't compare to being taken to strip clubs (even in the suburbs) at the age 14 and nobody bat an eye...
Seemed to me like, even as crazy as parties get in NOLA, not even NOLA or Miami matched ATL's club life... Not at all... And before you ask, THAT's NOT what I attribute to "edginess." Just saying I've experience both NOLA and ATL in my youth & NOLA was cooler, but ATL was wilder.

ATL culture is the dumps of culture... If it even is a culture yet... And yes, it's still trying too hard. BUT, because of that, I have witnessed an ATL life that pushed the freak'n edge of social acceptance. Seems like there's ALWAYS controversy in Atlanta, there's always a relavent topic being discussed, people are always at odds, tension is always high no matter what the arena (race, class, sex, gay rights, politics, music, sports, traffic, money, education, municipalities, guns, drugs, gambling laws, construction, international affairs, etc...) Nothing is EVER culturally accepted (probably because everyone's from somewhere else, so many different cultures and values are represented and all want a say). To me, that is edgy...

If you were to imagine "edgy" as being an actual EDGE... What would be the result of falling off the edge???

For Atlanta, going 1 step further would mean SOMETHING negative. Atlanta often feels on the verge of a riot to me... People there are "always fed up" with each other or something and ready to "go!!!"
For New Orleans, all the craziness that happens there is already socially accepted. NO matter how crazy. 1 step furhter for New Orleans seems like it would result in just more social acceptance. Another reason to party. That to me implies no actual "EDGE" to be considered "edgy" enough.

So, maybe we just have different outlooks on the subject. And don't bother posting another "definition" of what edgy is, trying to convince me because it's just makes me see a little more arrogance in New Orleans and turns me off... I'm already tired of seeing all the "how dare you not include the great Atlanta" posters. Don't let it become the "how dare you not see the greatness of New Orleans" as well...

I vote ATL on THIS subject. And I would do so from one of my favorite places on Earth (Deanies in French Quarter) as I eat "dat Barbacoo Skrimps, SHAWTY!!!" Sorry... That was my ATL accent. As I eat "dem Barbecue Shurrmp, WHOADIEEEEEEE!"

Question: Which city is hipper/edgier? New Orleans or Los Angeles???
Good points. I would have to go with LA in this regard. California was crazy back in the 60s, doubt Atlanta has much on LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
I believe it... I've seen worse in Atlanta as well (just 1 example), and in Alabama... But it is definitely something that happens much more regularly in "country life" places/cities as opposed to urban cores. Places like Houston, Atlanta, Memphis... Not DC, Philly, NYC...

It's the country mentality that "it's okay..."
It's ok to be underage in a strip club-in the country? Makes no sense.
Me and my highschool friends were all underage in Hustler on Bourbon.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's ok to be underage in a strip club-in the country? Makes no sense.
Me and my highschool friends were all underage in Hustler on Bourbon.
COMPLETELY missed the point............

Don't worry Annie... I get it. "If it AINT[s] NOLA, it AINT[s] NO good..." huh?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
COMPLETELY missed the point............

Don't worry Annie... I get it. "If it AINT[s] NOLA, it AINT[s] NO good..." huh?
From what I read, it's ok or more common to be underage in a strip club if you are in the "country" yet unacceptable or rare in the city. I don't see how you could conjure up a relevent point with that.

No, it's not all about NOLA.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Good points. I would have to go with LA in this regard. California was crazy back in the 60s, doubt Atlanta has much on LA.

I agree... Los Angeles...

Now, I would 2nd that by saying life in Atlanta is a LOT more similar to life in Los Angeles (during LA's uprising/60s/70s/80s) than New Orleans is to Los Angeles... AND Atlanta is more similar to LA than it is to New Orleans.

Same issues that plagued LA then are plaguing Atlanta right now. The same "superficial" view of LA that arose then, is consuming Atlanta now. Atlanta IS like the next Los Angeles. Quickly moving in that direction...

That "EDGE" that LA had, is now found in Atlanta... It's that very "edge" that attracted the cameras to LA and is attracting the cameras to Atlanta. Everyone loves drama. Everyone loves controversy. Everyone wants to see what's happening there... That's why those places end up with stupid, superficial TV shows...

Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Now, I would 2nd that by saying life in Atlanta is a LOT more similar to life in Los Angeles (during LA's uprising/60s/70s/80s) than New Orleans is to Los Angeles... AND Atlanta is more similar to LA than it is to New Orleans.

Same issues that plagued LA then are plaguing Atlanta right now. The same "superficial" view of LA that arose then, is consuming Atlanta now. Atlanta IS like the next Los Angeles. Quickly moving in that direction...

That "EDGE" that LA had, is now found in Atlanta... It's that very "edge" that attracted the cameras to LA and is attracting the cameras to Atlanta. Everyone loves drama. Everyone loves controversy. Everyone wants to see what's happening there... That's why those places end up with stupid, superficial TV shows...
So that's why people hate Atlanta boosters.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
From what I read, it's ok or more common to be underage in a strip club if you are in the "country" yet unacceptable or rare in the city. I don't see how you could conjure up a relevent point with that.

No, it's not all about NOLA.
Where are these strip clubs in "the country?"

Sounds kind of scary.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
So that's why people hate Atlanta boosters.
And there it is....

This was never REALLY about "which city is Edgier..."

It is about New Orleans being appauled & offended that someone would pick such a superficial city like Atlanta over them, and Atlanta being offended that they are so easily pushed aside when the topics of "culture" and such come up...

It's been all about snooty attitudes from one city looking down on another, thinking their so much better. Neither one holds a match to real cities like New York. But they bicker over trivial things and won't allow each other to hold an opinion of one another because they get so easily offended.

New Orleans is great. But it's a city-like TOWN with class trying to fit in with the big boys but doesn't have the population or infistructure...
Atlanta is nice, but it's a busy super-suburb with skyscrapers dying for the world to notice it, and get the right to be called a real city, but doesn't have it's own culture to brand...

This topic boils down to an arrogance fueled hatred of each other...

Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,852 times
That's hilarious. Thanks, I was feeling kind of down. Atlanta = New L.A.? That honor is reserved for Miami, without question. Gosh, you let a city hold an Olympics and they think they're so special. CNN is dying, Coca Cola rots teeth and Atlanta is nothing more than a glorified suburb. Miami has the world's rich, powerful and beautiful people flocking to it for the glamour and the shopping and the megayachts and a whole bunch of other things that are not going on in Atlanta.

Quote:

Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
And there it is....

This was never REALLY about "which city is Edgier..."

It is about New Orleans being appauled & offended that someone would pick such a superficial city like Atlanta over them, and Atlanta being offended that they are so easily pushed aside when the topics of "culture" and such come up...

It's been all about snooty attitudes from one city looking down on another, thinking their so much better. Neither one holds a match to real cities like New York. But they bicker over trivial things and won't allow each other to hold an opinion of one another because they get so easily offended.

New Orleans is great. But it's a city-like TOWN with class trying to fit in with the big boys but doesn't have the population or infistructure...
Atlanta is nice, but it's a busy super-suburb with skyscrapers dying for the world to notice it, and get the right to be called a real city, but doesn't have it's own culture to brand...

This topic boils down to an arrogance fueled hatred of each other...
I have absolutely zero animosity towards Atlanta. I've came to its defense numerous times. I respect and think highly of Atlanta. Now as far as edgy and funky, New Orleans just beats it out in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City