Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or New Orleans...which is hipper/edgier?
Atlanta 31 37.80%
New Orleans 51 62.20%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:50 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

New Orleans isn't really "edgy."

New Orleans just has a super abundance of it's own unique culture... However, it's culture is just that (IT'S Culture). To be "edgy" you have to be forwardly progressive & acceptant of a mix of OTHERS' cultures...

Atlanta is THE Mixing Pot... The NEW Los Angeles...

Atlanta is WAY More of a mixing pot than New Orleans... Atlanta is full of people with ideas from EVERYWHERE (which is exactly why nobody can really put a pinpoint definition on what Atlanta's culture is)...

But along with that comes the plus of being a hip/edgy city... Hip Hop chooses Atlanta as the host city for the Hip Hop Awards. The stars, artists & athletes move to Atlanta, not New Orleans. New Orleans isn't full of musicians, actresses, artists, athletes, etc... from EVERYWHERE as much as Atlanta. New Orleans DOES have those people, but they are usually NEW ORLEANS' artists... Atlanta has Hollywood actresses, New York actresses & artists, New Orleans musicians, Florida & Texas Athletes, French artists, Japanese cooks, Italians, Mexicans, Chinese, Bostonian, Washingtonian, Canadian, Caribbean, Chicagoean, Brazilian, etc... At a lot higher rate of mix than New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Virginia-Highland is quirky? Not quite. Virginia-Highland is more yuppie than Buckhead. L5P is slowly becoming the Mall of Georgia South and I wouldn't be totally surprised to see a Spencers or Hot Topic open there(Oh wait, Junkman's Daughter is pretty much the same thing). Once Criminal Records goes there will be absolutely no reason for me to shop there. There will still be the Vortex, The Star Bar, and the Variety Playhouse so maybe not all is lost.

I agree with Nairobi. L5P is quite a bit overrated. I thought it was cool when I was 15 coming from Podunk, Ga but since then I've seen other places and my definition of "hip" has evolved. If perhaps, L5P was somehow combined with East Atlanta Village then maybe we can start talking hip. Taken by themselves though(and this goes for pretty much all of Atlanta's entertainment districts), they are a good bit underwhelming considering the city's size.
I was just about to say the exact same thing.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

New Orleans just has a super abundance of it's own unique culture... However, it's culture is just that (IT'S Culture). To be "edgy" you have to be forwardly progressive & acceptant of a mix of OTHERS' cultures...

Atlanta is WAY More of a mixing pot than New Orleans... Atlanta is full of people with ideas from EVERYWHERE (which is exactly why nobody can really put a pinpoint definition on what Atlanta's culture is)...

But along with that comes the plus of being a hip/edgy city... Hip Hop chooses Atlanta as the host city for the Hip Hop Awards. The stars, artists & athletes move to Atlanta, not New Orleans. New Orleans isn't full of musicians, actresses, artists, athletes, etc... from EVERYWHERE as much as Atlanta. New Orleans DOES have those people, but they are usually NEW ORLEANS' artists... Atlanta has Hollywood actresses, New York actresses & artists, New Orleans musicians, Florida & Texas Athletes, French artists, Japanese cooks, Italians, Mexicans, Chinese, Bostonian, Washingtonian, Canadian, Caribbean, Chicagoean, Brazilian, etc... At a lot higher rate of mix than New Orleans.
Just stop.

Edgy is very subjective or, according to Merriam Webster: : having a bold, provocative, or unconventional quality.

People from around the world and country have settled in New Orleans after the storm. Atlanta doesn't have a rich culture like older cities do, that is the reason, not because people come from everywhere. Look at New York City, Miami, San Fransisco and LA.

There are many artists, musicians, and actors/actresses living in New Orleans that are not originally from there. New Orleans has all of these things as well, and I'd say we probably do it better than Atlanta on a bad day.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

If that's your personal definition of hip and edgy, then go for it. But surely you won't mind me scoffing at it.

New Orleans is such a magical and haunting city. Atlanta? Not so much.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Freaknic was "edgy"? Lol, okay.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Just stop.

Edgy is very subjective or, according to Merriam Webster: : having a bold, provocative, or unconventional quality.

People from around the world and country have settled in New Orleans after the storm. Atlanta doesn't have a rich culture like older cities do, that is the reason, not because people come from everywhere. Look at New York City, Miami, San Fransisco and LA.

There are many artists, musicians, and actors/actresses living in New Orleans that are not originally from there. New Orleans has all of these things as well, and I'd say we probably do it better than Atlanta on a bad day.
I don't want this to turn into NO vs ATL bash fest anyways.

Miami, Miami, San Fransisco and LA aren't older than Atlanta, and Atlanta is starting to get attention. New Orleans is the birth place of Jazz so a lot of jazz musician move there. Artist aren't moving to NO trying to get a single on MTV or BET or something. Most Artist from NO in younger genres of music actually move from NO. And I give NO props on the film industry but actors/actresses aren't moving there like the level they moving to Atlanta. That poster was not dissing NO.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If that's your personal definition of hip and edgy, then go for it. But surely you won't mind me scoffing at it.

I Agree with Psykomonkee partly New Orleans has a unique culture, but it's not cosmopolitan at all. Let be real New Orleans is not current, People romance off of New Orleans history the french quarter, Jazz and etc. Yes New Orleans is magical "I would strongly argue uniqueness, I have" but to me that not edgy. It don't say edge it said History to me. but every one has there own taste.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Let be real New Orleans is not current, People romance off of New Orleans history the french quarter, Jazz and etc. Yes New Orleans is magical "I would strongly argue uniqueness, I have" but to me that not edgy. It don't say edge it said History to me. but every one has there own taste.

Exactly my point... New Orleans is much more beautiful than Atlanta. New Orleans culture kicks the crap out of Atlanta culture... HOWEVER, New Orleans culture is rooted in tradition and history. Yes it is magical, but traditional to what New Orleans HAS been... That is NOT "edgy"

The term "edgy" implys being AGAINST tradition & historical... Being forward and new.

Atlanta barely has a culture of it's own at all, BUT is it an "edgy" city... Yes... Atlanta is now edgy in the fashion on 1970-80s LA. That is not New Orleans...

Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

"Magical and haunting" has NOTHING (NOT ANYTHING WHAT SO EVER) to do with being edgy... The fact of it's "magical & haunting" nature implys that it is also historical and traditional, which is not edgy by nature.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Now, if the question was:

New Orleans culture vs Atlanta culture, the poll should read:

Atlanta - 0
New Orleans - 34.

But that's NOT the question, and what is being asked is NOT the same...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City