Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #2 in the Midwest: Minneapolis-St. Paul or Detroit?
Minneapolis-St. Paul 158 56.83%
Detroit 89 32.01%
Other, be Specific 31 11.15%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
^^ When all else fails, resort to sarcasm, right?
So posting some local glorification video wins the argument?

But honestly that is all I heard, the whole video. "We have money and lots of it, so we're the best" All while playing some over inspirational cheese ball music.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,862,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
So posting some local glorification video wins the argument?

But honestly that is all I heard, the whole video. "We have money and lots of it, so we're the best" All while playing some over inspirational cheese ball music.
It's more evidence than you've provided. And that's a video from the UK, it wasn't a local video at all.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 PM

164 posts, read 256,786 times
IBTimes UK is naturally a UK publication. Sounds like you have nothing to add to this discussion.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
Quote:
Seems like they are trying too hard. "Most golfers per capita". . . Really? Oh yeah and we have a lot of businesses.
The one that gets me is the "more shoreline than Florida, California, Hawaii combined", which I've heard spouted as a point of pride by many a Minnesotan. Okay, first of all, that statistic is so misleading, because it includes every podunk little pond in the state. Secondly I don't really think you can compare the shoreline around a pond/small lake, that's mosquito infested half the year and frozen the other half, to the ocean shorelines of Hawaii or California. Sorry.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 12-16-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM

164 posts, read 256,786 times
Yes, the terrible mosquito-infested podunk lilttle ponds like Lake Minnetonka http://i.imgur.com/LjoeLTL.jpg

Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
Yes, the terrible mosquito-infested podunk lilttle ponds like Lake Minnetonka http://i.imgur.com/LjoeLTL.jpg
I'm not saying that they're all terrible. I'm just saying likening the shorelines of 1,000s of relatively tiny lakes to the ocean COASTlines of Hawaii and California is a joke. I think Lake Erie is fantastic, and probably exceed's Florida in some attribute or other, but I would never use a statistic that compared say, the number of beaches there to those in Florida, because I know that from a qualitative perspective, the two just don't compare.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 12-16-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 PM

271 posts, read 458,407 times
Detroit, obviously D has the culture, food, history, innovations, music, etc, that didn't just contribute nationally but internationally as well.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Have you ever been to the Twin Cities? It sounds like you are basing your opinion off of the same stereotypes Cleverfield was - Minneapolis and St. Paul aren't just white Scandinavian cities with no diversity in culture or food. That couldn't be any farther from the truth.
Yes, I have family that lives in the Twin Cities. I never said it had no diversity, but it would be a culture shock for somebody moving from a blacker city. Just like I'm sure a Latino individual would be in complete culture shock moving to a city like St. Louis or Cincinnati. Minneapolis just doesn't have that strong of an African American presence compared to most other Midwestern cities, there is a large East African population, but that is a totally different culture. As a whole I would say the Twin Cities are less black than the nation and Midwest as a whole.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
I really don't think what I said, qualifies as being "naive". You just took it the wrong way. Besides, make Target disappear from the last 100 years, I won't bat an eye. And I'm sure a lot of people won't. Make the industry that spawned from Detroit disappear from the timeline, and this entire country looks a whole lot different.
Making Target disappear is not akin to making the automobile industry disappear. It'd be more like discount retail disappearing or clothing apparel disappear. I see your point, however, but you're using one company. What if I used Cargill (world food supplier) instead, and used the foods industry? Then the tables would turn. But so what? Nobody is suggesting either city supports an entire industry (Detroit does not support the entire auto industry.....not anymore, not by a long shot).

Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
1. Chicago
2. Detroit
3. Minneapolis
4. St. Louis
5. Cleveland

I think this is about how it is as of 2014.

Minneapolis does offer a lot of amenities and is most definitely on an upward trajectory, but in all honesty I really don't think the area offers so much more "culturally" than say St. Louis or Cleveland. In fact, I could see how someone could prefer a host of Midwestern cities above Minneapolis. I would actually prefer Metro Detroit, Cleveland, or St. Louis just for the simple fact that these metros offer way more in terms of African American culture. I don't have to worry if I can find a good barber in Cleveland, or if I'm going to be able to find delicious Soul Food restaurants in St. Louis, or authentic Jazz/R&B music in Detroit, finding a diverse range of social groups and dating options with in my culture would not be hard in any of these metros, it would definitely be more of a struggle in the Twin Cities.
Yet remarkably the Twin Cities are leading the region in black/African American population growth, by percentage AND raw numbers. The people moving in are from Chicago, Gary, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and Milwaukee, primarily.

You are right about one thing: the atmosphere in the black community is different, and it's nothing like Cleveland or St. Louis (which I actually think isn't such a bad thing, but who am I to judge?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City