Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #2 in the Midwest: Minneapolis-St. Paul or Detroit?
Minneapolis-St. Paul 158 56.83%
Detroit 89 32.01%
Other, be Specific 31 11.15%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,648,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maps View Post
+ Edina, Wayzata, Excelsior

And St. Paul is not a suburb.
True, but North St. Paul is.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,131,813 times
By the way, I kind of got confused with this whole thread. I thought it was between Twin Cities and Detroit and the ability to select other. I can see a debate between MPS and Detroit. But this whole Cleveland business. I mean, no offense to Cleveland as I lived there and care for it, but is the overwhelming consensus is that Cleveland comes above Detroit? Interested in hearing from MPS people not from a platoon of Cleveland soldiers.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,650,340 times
No way does the Cleve come above Metro Detroit. It would be awesome if Detroit could start to contain its sprawl instead of the population disbursing further out throughout SE Michigan. Once sprawl reaches a certain extent, I don't really consider it part of, or in relation to the core city anymore. Even the Twin Cities, I don't consider anywhere outside the 7 County Metro, like Big Lake and St. Cloud etc. part of the Twin Cities. It's awesome to see downtown Detroit begin to revitalize! I hope it continues to draw in suburbanites.
BTW, St. Paul is better than Minneapolis, Detroit and Cleveland combined! It has historic charm, sophistication, a great natural setting, business savvy and now a light rail line! As strange as it may sound, it has its own subculture. It's often the overlooked gem of the Midwest.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,100,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
BTW, St. Paul is better than Minneapolis, Detroit and Cleveland combined! It has historic charm, sophistication, a great natural setting, business savvy and now a light rail line! As strange as it may sound, it has its own subculture. It's often the overlooked gem of the Midwest.
Wow. Homerism much?

I think I've basically come to the conclusion from this thread that people from the tc's don't know much about Cleveland. That's okay, carry on, I bid you all adieu, I'm sure many of you are relieved.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,856,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Wow. Homerism much?

I think I've basically come to the conclusion from this thread that people from the tc's don't know much about Cleveland. That's okay, carry on, I bid you all adieu, I'm sure many of you are relieved.
Some of the "twin cities" posters you've been arguing with currently live in Cleveland. Just because we don't think Cleveland is the crown jewel of North America doesn't mean that we are all ignorant. So far it's been you who has made excessive amounts of huge generalizations with no base to them and you who has been insulting the posters, calling us provincial, character lacking, and ignorant, instead of making an actual argument with real support. You claim you bring in objective statistics, but for the most part, you just state your opinion about something and then tag on the word "objective." You aren't creating an argument whatsoever. And now you are announcing your victorious departure, leaving most everyone here wondering what exactly just took place over the past 60 pages of this thread.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,585,706 times
Quote:
Wow. Homerism much?

You have been showing your ignorance in every post. You claim that Cleveland is better because of the Shaker Heights mansions.... we pointed out that we have the Summit Avenue mansion.... sounds like a wash. You claim Cleveland is better because of the Cleveland orchestra.... we pointed out that we have the Minnesota orchestra... sounds like a wash. You claim that Cleveland is better because if it's urbanity....

MPLS - 7019/sq mile
STP - 5484/sq mile
CLV - 5107/sq mile

You claim Cleveland has better parks... Please just look at these two links...

U.S. Cities With The Best Parks - Business Insider

Which of America's Cities Has the Most Plentiful Parks? | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network

You are probably going to respond to this post with more subjectivity. But in the end, the only aspect you can use to distinguish between Cleveland and the Twin Cities is the economy, which for some reason you stay as far away from as possible.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,131,813 times

Portrait of a City - Detroit (1961) - YouTube

Old 01-24-2014, 11:16 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,650,340 times
Quote:
Wow. Homerism much?

Hardly. I actually live closer to Minneapolis than I do to St. Paul, but I still prefer St. Paul. Notice how I said St. Paul beats Minneapolis. St. Paul retains its historic character but at the same time does not have rotting out neighborhoods like Cleveland does. I admit, St. Paul does have some sketchy areas, but they are not vacant. Cleveland area does have some very nice neighborhoods that are similar to Summit Ave, but as a whole, I prefer St. Paul.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,100,927 times
One last thing. For those of you saying there's no difference between single digit temps and 20s, you can do this in 20's, probably not in single digits or below 0.

Krewella NYE 2013/2014 Cleveland, OH (HD) - YouTube

Old 01-25-2014, 09:49 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,429,740 times
Ok well the average high in Minneapolis at New Year's is around 20-25 so... The high on 12/31/11 was 42...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City