Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Long Island vs Orange County
Long Island, NY 27 41.54%
Orange County, CA 38 58.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:58 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
LA is bigger than NYC in AREA

and LA Suburbs are way larger than newyorks
Is this a fact because NYC suburbs covers Northern NJ, Long Island, Westchester County, Rockland County, and Western Connecticut. I know the LA metro area is big but I didn't think it was as big as NYC's I could be wrong though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Which area is the best in terms of shopping, amenities, food, lifestyle, people, economy, location, schools etc.

Both are alot alike. There both suburb counties to the top 2 biggest cities in the US.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
I do know. I've been everywhere between Fullerton and San Clemente.
You're not very good at this. Lying, that is.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
orange county = new jersey

sorry for the bad news

Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Shopping: Orange County. South Coast Plaza is like Rodeo Drive under one roof.

Amenities: Tied.

Food: Tied.

Lifestyle: Tied.

People: Long Island. I like OC but the vapid, superficial image of the people there is not totally unrealistic in my opinion based on what I have personally observed in the OC. That said I have nothing against a person living how they want and most people in the OC are 'normal' I suppose. People in Long Island just seem more similar to myself in my experience, Rude, obnoxious and impatient.JK.

Economy: Right now, I'll say Long Island, however I could be wrong, but I do think that Orange County is a bigger job center.

Location: Physical setting goes to Orange County by far, although Long Island also has its beauty.

Schools: Long Island

Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Shopping: Orange County. South Coast Plaza is like Rodeo Drive under one roof.
This is very debatable imo. Long Island is home to Americana Manhasset, which is one of the top upscale malls in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana_Manhasset

Check out the store list for Americana, no Macys or Sears like you'd find in South Coast Plaza. They do have Banana Republic though for some reason lol:

http://www.americanamanhasset.com/#/visit/stores/

Last edited by Gantz; 10-28-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This is very debatable imo. Long Island is home to Americana Manhasset, which is one of the top upscale malls in the country.

Americana Manhasset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out the store list for Americana, no Macys or Sears like you'd find in South Coast Plaza. They do have Banana Republic though for some reason lol:

Americana Manhasset - Long Island's Destination Luxury Shopping Center
No real debate. Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza are within 5 miles of each other and offer some of the country's best shopping.

Having a sears and a macys is a nice convenience.

Manhasset is nice, but does not hold a candle to either South Coast or Fashion Island.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

Americana Manhasset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Americana Manhasset - Long Island's Destination Luxury Shopping Center
I worked in the Banana Republic at the Americana. A few years after I quit, I went to Rodeo Drive for the first time and I couldnt stop thinking "This place is just like the miracle mile, even down to the nasty customers pushing around the poor sales person".

Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I worked in the Banana Republic at the Americana. A few years after I quit, I went to Rodeo Drive for the first time and I couldnt stop thinking "This place is just like the miracle mile, even down to the nasty customers pushing around the poor sales person".
You just gotta love the "entitled" mindset. Its pretty bad in Beverly Hills / Brentwood, but surprisingly minimal in the Newport Beach / Coastal Orange County Area. But The worse case of the entitled elite I have ever seen was in Clayton, MO.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
No real debate. Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza are within 5 miles of each other and offer some of the country's best shopping.

Having a sears and a macys is a nice convenience.

Manhasset is nice, but does not hold a candle to either South Coast or Fashion Island.
Americana Manhasset is located on the Miracle Mile, so it's not like its isolated from other shopping.

Fashion Island, while might be considered "upscale", would not be considered "upscale" on LI. Anchor tenants there are Macys and Bloomingdale's, which are considered local "home" stores on Long Island/NYC area, e.g. so obvious they aren't even worth mentioning. If you look at the store list on Fashion Island, there's maybe like 5, maybe 10, stores at most which are upscale enough for Americana. The rest is just regular department stores, national food chains, etc.

Last edited by Gantz; 10-28-2011 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City