Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gary, IN vs East St. Louis, IL vs Camden, NJ
Gary, IN 38 31.67%
East St. Louis, IL 23 19.17%
Camden, NJ 59 49.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Is it possible that Gary's airport can become very useful and help redevelop Gary by giving people jobs, putting money into the local economy, ect?

I'm sure it will never be O'Hare or even Midway but it could be something.

that's the plan. Its ideally located, located, on the South Shore Line and is poised to become a viable airport once the runway expansion project is completed. proof of its viability is the fact that Boeing maintains its corporate fleet at Gary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:31 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
that's the plan. Its ideally located, located, on the South Shore Line and is poised to become a viable airport once the runway expansion project is completed. proof of its viability is the fact that Boeing maintains its corporate fleet at Gary.
Nice, is there public transportation to get to/from that airport to Chicago yet?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
That's great news for Camden. Obviously it's proximity to Philadelphia is its trump card. Gary however has tons of potential in the long run.
I agree - to me, I think Gary overall has the better future potential, which is why I voted for it. It's basically a toss-up, though, with Camden. ESL is done and will never come back in any of our lifetimes.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I agree - to me, I think Gary overall has the better future potential, which is why I voted for it. It's basically a toss-up, though, with Camden. ESL is done and will never come back in any of our lifetimes.
I really think Camden has the best potential future.

Gary is a 37 minute drive minimum to Downtown Chicago, with no direct transit routes.

Camden is 10-15 minutes max driving or on train, with direct transit access to Center City, Philadelphia. It is literally right across the river.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I really think Camden has the best potential future.
Of course you do - you're drunk on Philly. Anyone on the board could have called this one. I personally don't care about Indiana or New Jersey, but I have spent time in Gary and it has nice bones and is turning slowly as we speak. So is Camden. ESL is a lost cause.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Of course you do - you're drunk on Philly. Anyone on the board could have called this one. I personally don't care about Indiana or New Jersey, but I have spent time in Gary and it has nice bones and is turning slowly as we speak. So is Camden. ESL is a lost cause.
And you're drunk on Chicago/Milwaukee. Anyone could have called that.

I see you don't work in anything related to real estate development.

Let me help you understand. Location, location, location.

Camden is across the river from a major Downtown, with direct transit access to it.

Gary is 40 minutes from Downtown Chicago, with no direct transit access. That's like someone saying Newark would improve faster than Jersey City.

Let's be realistic.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 AM

I am quite far from a Chicago booster - why would you think that? And I'm not from Milwaukee, nor will I be living here within the year. I just know the beautiful Upper Midwestern terrain and refuse to let some fool who's never been in the region dictate what it looks like or what it offers.

Gary is in a more beautiful setting right on the Lake Michigan dunes with better bones.

I see you are not a genius when it comes to geography. Let me help you understand - www.google.com, hit maps and enter "Gary" and "Chicago." You will see it's 31 miles away from the Loop/downtown on the north side/back around the Lake. However, it's only 12 miles to the city of Chicago and is clearly part of the (much larger than Philly) unbroken Chicago metro. The metro size makes a difference when talking distance from downtown, as does the geography (Chicagoland runs tightly N/S around the Lake - it's a long/skinny city whereas Philly can afford to be more central because there isn't a 23,000 square mile sea blocking all expansion).

Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I am quite far from a Chicago booster - why would you think that? And I'm not from Milwaukee, nor will I be living here within the year. I just know the beautiful Upper Midwestern terrain and refuse to let some fool who's never been in the region dictate what it looks like or what it offers.

Gary is in a more beautiful setting right on the Lake Michigan dunes with better bones.

I see you are not a genius when it comes to geography. Let me help you understand - www.google.com, hit maps and enter "Gary" and "Chicago." You will see it's 31 miles away from the Loop/downtown on the north side/back around the Lake. However, it's only 12 miles to the city of Chicago and is clearly part of the (much larger than Philly) unbroken Chicago metro. The metro size makes a difference when talking distance from downtown, as does the geography (Chicagoland runs tightly N/S around the Lake - it's a long/skinny city whereas Philly can afford to be more central because there isn't a 23,000 square mile sea blocking all expansion).
Chicago is a much better city than Philadelphia. It's heads and shoulders above it honestly.

But being from the closest city boundary and the Downtown area are two completely different things.

It we were talking about Trenton say, which is close to Northest Philly and is probably more comparable to Gary, then I would understand. Or even Chester, which is close to Southwest Philly.

But Gary, whether 12 miles to the closest Chicago border, or 31 miles to Downtown Chicago, It doesn't matter. Camden is literally less than a mile across a River from Center City, Philadelphia - with direct subway access to it.

Being close to the city limits of a city means absolutely nothing. Being close to the Central core, the central business district is a whole lot different.

Again, I'll go back to my NYC example: It's like Jersey City, versus Newark. Jersey City is literally right across the river from Manhattan and it's booming. Newark is closest to Staten Island and it's not doing so hot.

I'm sure Gary has a brighter future than East St. Louis for sure. But Camden definitely has the brightest future of them all.

Make sense yet? Apparently not.

And PS, I have been to Chicago twice.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
And you're drunk on Chicago/Milwaukee. Anyone could have called that.

I see you don't work in anything related to real estate development.

Let me help you understand. Location, location, location.

Camden is across the river from a major Downtown, with direct transit access to it.

Gary is 40 minutes from Downtown Chicago, with no direct transit access. That's like someone saying Newark would improve faster than Jersey City.

Let's be realistic.
Not that I really care about any of these cities too much, but Gary does have direct transit access to downtown Chicago on the South Shore line.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Not that I really care about any of these cities too much, but Gary does have direct transit access to downtown Chicago on the South Shore line.
From the core of Camden to the Core of Center City Philadelphia on the PATCO Line = 10 minutes, with trains arriving every 10 minutes.
PATCO

From Gary to Downtown Chicago on the South Shore Line = 1 hour, with trains arriving every hour
South Shore Westbound Train Service, Monday-Friday | Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City