Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I don't think any major MSA will become a "ghost town," but one place that seems to be losing its profile is Memphis. It has the crime and poverty that St. Louis and New Orleans have, but it lacks the gravity and economic importance of St. Louis, and the ambiance and unique culture of New Orleans. Basically, it has the same problems as those two cities, but without the assets.

Culturally, Memphis seems to fit in more with Mississippi than it does with the rest of Tennessee, and Nashville and Knoxville seem to define "Tennessee culture" more than Memphis does. It doesn't help that the lower Mississippi River Valley is arguably the poorest region of the country, and is considered by many to be one of the most socially backward areas of the country as well.

When I visited Memphis, it struck me as pretty sleepy for a city its size, and didn't have much tourist appeal outside of Graceland and Beale Street. (Tunica doesn't count either; it's actually quite depressing.) Overall, I can think of more compelling reasons to visit St. Louis, New Orleans and Nashville instead. St. Louis is larger; New Orleans is more interesting, and Nashville is newer and trendier.
Agree on Memphis. It really is the Detroit of the south. When I lived in Little Rock, I would go to Memphis on the weekends sometimes and would many times hear gunshots even in supposedly "okay" parts of town. Memphis also doesn't feel have a Tennessee culture. It fits more with Mississippi and the Arkansas delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,911 times
Memphis, Detroit

Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
...way over your head...
Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and Houston are some of the country's largest and most steadily growing MSAs.

I HIGHLY doubt they'll be the next ghost town.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Even metro Detroit has 96.5% of its peak population....it's hardly vanishing.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agree on Memphis. It really is the Detroit of the south. When I lived in Little Rock, I would go to Memphis on the weekends sometimes and would many times hear gunshots even in supposedly "okay" parts of town. Memphis also doesn't feel have a Tennessee culture. It fits more with Mississippi and the Arkansas delta.
Maybe it can capitalize somehow on its Mississippi river valley culture? I mean, it's the biggest such city in the region, right?

Given its huge musical contributions, it'd be kind of ridiculous to not recognize its cultural value. Also, I wonder how sprawling the city is, especially in its downtown area. Did a lot of stuff get bulldozed for freeways and parking lots? Or is there a lot of old buildings still there, but just woefully underutilized?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and Houston are some of the country's largest and most steadily growing MSAs.

I HIGHLY doubt they'll be the next ghost town.
Dude it justs keeps going WAYYY over your head. (which means it was a joke I know that)

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Dude it justs keeps going WAYYY over your head. (which means it was a joke I know that)
You couldn't tell that by me, I certainly wasn't laughing.

I hope that poster keeps their day job.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You couldn't tell that by me, I certainly wasn't laughing.

I hope that poster keeps their day job.
I can tell you weren't. Don't worry, I'll keep my job.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Cincinnati metro is growing and been growing so i dont think the metro will be a ghostown anytime soon.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Don't worry, I'll keep my job.
Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City