Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ????
DC 16 32.65%
Boston 33 67.35%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Huh?

DC has a lot to do with social sciences. Where do you think most think tanks are?
"A lot to do with social science" <---What does that even mean.

Think tanks are everywhere by the way, there are plenty in Boston, NYC, SF for instance, some of your better ones actually.

But again, that isn't much to do with it, you should do a bit of research on the subject and come back to it before making your incessant misinformed threads, then gasp for air when it isn't what you expected.

I'm not sure how I begin to explain something like this to you when you make a thread which clear lacks understanding of what the term even means; including both a historical sense, modern sense, and colloquial sense. It boils down to DC has practical applications of the social sciences, and mostly in political science, sociology and economics. The intellectual side of it is from it's academic subject and social criticism, not it's real world application.

DC is academically and intellectually weak compared to Boston, both in terms of the universities which exist in both regions and the general populous which resides there, end of story, it isn't even debatable really. Boston has a similar intellectual setting and history comparable or better than the confines of NYC, London, Paris, Zurich, Vienna and Berlin... DC is not in this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
I would say it's a tie!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
IMO Boston has a much more intellectual vibe than DC. DC is more structured around politics and power.

To vastly oversimplify, I'd say that in Boston the major currency is education/intellect. In DC it is political power. In NYC it is money. In the SF bay area it is innovation. In LA it is fame. Numerous exceptions exist to all of those, but those are the vibes/reputations I get from those cities.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
IMO Boston has a much more intellectual vibe than DC. DC is more structured around politics and power.

To vastly oversimplify, I'd say that in Boston the major currency is education/intellect. In DC it is political power. In NYC it is money. In the SF bay area it is innovation. In LA it is fame. Numerous exceptions exist to all of those, but those are the vibes/reputations I get from those cities.

Mostly agree but do think DC has really been ramping up the intelectual aspects, especially related to defense/intelligence related innovation. But on the whole would give the intellectual vibe to Boston. DC is more dominanted by a political/law influence.

Both are among the most educated areas in the US, so being behind Boston doesnt mean that DC is behind places on this aspect.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
it's hard to beat Harvard and MIT. I'd say that Washington DC puts out an 'idiot vibe'. Grown men and women openly questioning evolution? That's much more DC than Boston.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
it's hard to beat Harvard and MIT. I'd say that Washington DC puts out an 'idiot vibe'. Grown men and women openly questioning evolution? That's much more DC than Boston.
I think you are mixing up DC with some conservative bastion of Christianity? DC is by far very liberal in it's views. Can gays get married in Boston?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Can't you do a minimal bit of Googling? Massachussets was first in the USA to legalize gay marriage because it was the first U.S. state to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Same-sex marriage in Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are right, I must not confuse the political side of DC with the city itself... DC is never going to have a Republican mayor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I think you are mixing up DC with some conservative bastion of Christianity? DC is by far very liberal in it's views. Can gays get married in Boston?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Can't you do a minimal bit of Googling? Massachussets was first in the USA to legalize gay marriage because it was the first U.S. state to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Same-sex marriage in Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are right, I must not confuse the political side of DC with the city itself... DC is never going to have a Republican mayor.
My bad!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Well, DC has more lawyers. And we all know lawyers are the smartest people on earth. Why else would they get paid so much?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Both are among the most educated areas in the US, so being behind Boston doesnt mean that DC is behind places on this aspect.
Definitely. I did not mean to imply DC doesn't have a highly eductated population, just that they tend to use their educations in ways other than intellectual/academic pursuits. DC has a ton of very smart and well educated people...I'd say it is probably top five in the US for well educated population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City