Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
Newark and Gary are close to 2 of the most famous cities of the US, but not really draws of themselves. Detroit and Cleveland are destination cities themselves, with quite nice suburbs.

Though my Northeastern bias will say Newark to be near NYC, I could easily live in all. Today's shrinking and decrepit cities are tomorrow's promised land, I wholeheartedly believe!
good points. unless newark and gary are underrated. i'm still not sure why gary comes into this conversation though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Newark with Cleveland and then Detroit not far behind. Gary lags by quite a bit.

I think Newark is a showcase for both the limitations and benefits of good leadership. Cory Booker's been in office since 2006 and the change in Newark seems phenomenal and it appears that Newark's hit an inflection point with its population actually going up between the 2000 and 2010 census counts. It currently leads the nation in crime reduction. Its leadership have taken on a lot more than symbolic hardships on themselves. Of course, even with the publicity and rapid improvements, Newark still has a lot of issues and the perceptions people have of Newark will lag behind the changes.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
and the perceptions people have of Newark will lag behind the changes.
Exactly....................... NWK is not a hub city like Detroit or Cleveland; but it's not Gary either. Problems no doubt, but still; Gary? Nah.
NWK has Pro Sports, symphony halls, museums, restaurants, a major airport, seaport, ect.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:08 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
1. Cleveland
2. Detroit
-
3. Newark
-
-
-
4. Gary

I'm tempted to place Newark higher. It's an extremely overlooked city in my opinion and convenient to New York.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
1. Detroit
2. Cleveland
(gap)
3. Newark

(BIG GAP!!!)

4. Gary

In that order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
1. Detroit
|
|
2. Cleveland
|
|
|
3. Newark/Gary
same here

Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times
Cleveland and it's not even close as I would never live in any of the other cities listed. Cleveland isn't bad at all and one can find many entertaining things to do. No its not NYC or LA but it is a gem for its size.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM

123 posts, read 219,317 times
Cleveland is the nicest, but newark is really close to nyc so it follows closely.
Detroit and gary are crapholes imo, but I would take detroit before gary. Gary has no redeeming qualities. The best thing gary has going for it is its only an hour or so away from chicagos most segregated and violent neighborhoods. That's literally the best thing it has going for it.

I could never live in any of those cities honestly. Even the cream of that crop [cleveland] sucks imo.
But if I didn't have a choice I would take cleveland.

1. Anywhere but these 4 cities
2. Cleveland
3. Newark
4. Any ghetto in almost any other major city
5. Detroit
6. Hell
7. Gary

Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,388 times
Cleveland doesn't suck because Ichiro said so. The city has a lot more than a lot of other cities going on right now. Cleveland is reinventing itself day and night. If Cleveland can continue and resurge every year for awhile and stay progressive Ohio will not be a fly over state anymore. But there's still a lot of work to do. There are so many negative opinions of Cleveland its going to take considerable growth not sensationalism to bring in a new era to a dominant city.

Last edited by the_pines; 10-24-2011 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Cleveland is the nicest, but newark is really close to nyc so it follows closely.
Detroit and gary are crapholes imo, but I would take detroit before gary. Gary has no redeeming qualities. The best thing gary has going for it is its only an hour or so away from chicagos most segregated and violent neighborhoods. That's literally the best thing it has going for it.

I could never live in any of those cities honestly. Even the cream of that crop [cleveland] sucks imo.
But if I didn't have a choice I would take cleveland.

1. Anywhere but these 4 cities
2. Cleveland
3. Newark
4. Any ghetto in almost any other major city
5. Detroit
6. Hell
7. Gary

wow you are so ignorant. If you would live in "any ghetto in almost any other major city" over plenty of neighborhoods in Detroit you are a damn fool. Tell me how many times have you been to Detroit to know its crap?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM

123 posts, read 219,317 times
Even the few nice areas in detroit are surrunded by slums. The shopping there sucks. Detroit sucks. Its a lot better than gary though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City