Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
SF
Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
Washington
Miami (hit or miss, seems to be very dense, they have a density of 12,000 there)
Seattle
Chicago

Now for cities i think are pretty high up
Atlanta
Cleveland
Portland
San Diego
LA (has to be equivalent to these cities)
Dallas Texas( yes i said dallas)

Ok, I can see you have an anti NYC bias. There is no way that San fran is more congested than NYC. Everyone on here but you clearly knows that NYC is head and shoulders above the rest. Heck, I like San Fran, but dellusional is not a trait I strive for...And for your information I chose San Fran second ahead of Philly, Boston and Chicago. Good luck trying to sell that kool-aide. C-ders (at least the non-dellusional ones know more about cities than the average person by a long shot). It's our thing. Our hobby. Our niche, so don't mess with that! Kidding...I hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
From what I've seen of the Midwest...

Chicago
- no contest. The city has a real pulse.
Indianapolis - a shocker, but one of the best things about the city is the active downtown--even though it is very, very condensed. The lunch rush can be a madhouse!!
Minneapolis - as said earlier, I would be curious to see how busy the city would get without the skywalks. Still the city has a nice pace to it.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
where would LA rank?
It'd be pretty high despite it's reputation. Mainly because of the Fashion District, which is very large and very busy. The rest of downtown lags the usual suspects, but is certainly much improved over the last several years.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Not sure if you were responding to me, but Denver is far from the 4th largest city in the nation, which is why I think the foot traffic is impressive for its size.
But it's mainly just that one street and it's a pedestrian-only street like 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica, which I think might actually be busier btw.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Default Pics by PWright1

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I agree. The thing that strikes me with Seattle is that you see the same pictures of the same walk near where some of the designer stores are like Nordstrom and J-Crew. Every picture I see of Seattle where it is bustling is in that same area. This is why I don't think it compares to Philly or Boston or on the same level.

Does every street in every downtown across America have heavy foot traffic 24/7? No. Every city
in America has some dead zones or zones that have less foot traffic than others. Seattle has them. Philadelphia has them. Boston has them San Francisco has them. Every city has them.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

MRB Films and Mayor's Office in Philadelphia Play April Fool's Joke to Raise Awareness - YouTube

Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 AM

242 posts, read 510,608 times
NYC is #1 for this contest. I have never seen anything like it in my life. It's crazy there! Almost exhausting because everyday you are shoulder to shoulder with people (in mid-town Manhattan).

As for other cities with lots of downtown foot traffic? I'd have to say Toronto, Chicago, and Montreal are all up there. After those three I'd say Philly, SF, Boston, and Miami.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Walk Through Philadelphia - YouTube

walking through philadelphia - YouTube

Walking Thru Philly - YouTube

Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 AM

25 May 2012. Philadelphia, PA. Street Scene | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Street scene | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
The answer to this question is easy; NYC has the most foot traffic downtown. Manhattan has over 1 million people living there. Add in the massive employment base there and the large number of tourists, especially between April and October, and you have the most amount of downtown foot traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City