Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Absolutely, but to compare these "canyons" to those in NYC or Chicago is just laughable to me. I do not get nearly the same feeling in DC as I do in the others.
There really are no "others." There's really just NYC and Chicago (and Chicago is far behind NYC in this regard). Again, the buildings are not very tall, but the height and consistency of the build undeniably gives off an urban canyon feeling. I've been known to check MDAllStar's delusions on many things relating to DC, but I can actually say that I agree with him here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would think there are some logistical reasons and security reasons for their locations actually
Not really. The FBI is (was) located directly across the street from the Ritz night club. I don't see what security or logistical reasons would allow the FBI to locate in DC but not the CIA or NSA.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There really are no "others." There's really just NYC and Chicago (and Chicago is far behind NYC in this regard). Again, the buildings are not very tall, but the height and consistency of the build undeniably gives off an urban canyon feeling. I've been known to check MDAllStar's delusions on many things relating to DC, but I can actually say that I agree with him here.
Agree NYC is in a different stratosphere compared to any other city in the US, but Chicago has what I consider to be true urban canyons (not to the extent of NYC). Obviously DC has huge stretches of 8-10 story buildings, but I just don't get the same urban canyon feeling I do in NYC (or Chicago).

Chicago, NYC, and DC are the only 3 cities I have lived in, and I just find MDAllStar's view of DC to be completely exaggerated.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM

This thread was about foot traffic at some point...

NYC clearly goes on top of the list.

If you're talking about rush hour intensity, I would say Chicago and DC are about even.

Maybe SF and Boston next (if you include Back Bay). Philly's probably a little below these two.

If you're talking about off peak hours, then Chicago and DC fall down a bit. I'd say below Boston, Philly and SF.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
I just find MDAllStar's view of DC to be completely exaggerated.
He's an out of control homer that should have never been left to be on the loose on this forum. Everything about his DC arguments just comes boiling down to AA culture and Metro.

I was in DC just a few weeks ago and I was in NYC and Boston and my sister accompanied me on all three and we all agreed that compared to NYC and even Boston that DC was a dead ghost town. I stayed in downtown and the only people walking around there at 8 in the evening were tourists. If that's what you call America's "6th best downtown" then I know for certain that people are now hating on LA because there's just much more life there. There's no comparison to NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, or even Boston because DC's foot traffic doesn't stack up IMO.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Chicago, NYC, and DC are the only 3 cities I have lived in, and I just find MDAllStar's view of DC to be completely exaggerated.
Haha. On most things, yes. But that's a lot of people on here. I didn't even want to burn the energy on battling some guy about Atlanta's vibrant street life this morning. "Vibrant" clearly means different things to different people (in this case, "vibrant" really must mean "non-existent").

Chicago is one of those cities that slowly works its way into your heart. I'm developing a bit of a man crush on the city, to be honest.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
He's an out of control homer that should have never been left to be on the loose on this forum. Everything about his DC arguments just comes boiling down to AA culture and Metro.

I was in DC just a few weeks ago and I was in NYC and Boston and my sister accompanied me on all three and we all agreed that compared to NYC and even Boston that DC was a dead ghost town. I stayed in downtown and the only people walking around there at 8 in the evening were tourists. If that's what you call America's "6th best downtown" then I know for certain that people are now hating on LA because there's just much more life there. There's no comparison to NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, or even Boston because DC's foot traffic doesn't stack up IMO.
The big difference with LA's foot traffic and a lot of these other cities is it is decidedly non-white, especially along Broadway and in the Fashion / Toy / Flower Districts. I can't really say LA should be above the usual suspects but it is certainly in the top 10, I'd put it around 7th or 8th (with a lot of positive momentum). I think someone put it right around Seattle and that sounds about right to me.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The big difference with LA's foot traffic and a lot of these other cities is it is decidedly non-white, especially along Broadway and in the Fashion / Toy / Flower Districts. I can't really say LA should be above the usual suspects but it is certainly in the top 10, I'd put it around 7th or 8th (with a lot of positive momentum). I think someone put it right around Seattle and that sounds about right to me.
I was last in Seattle in 2006. I was last in LA in 2009. I didn't think to pull out my counter to gauge the foot traffic each morning, but I definitely thought that Downtown Seattle was much more lively. Seattle is very hilly, which makes walking a real pain, but the downtown has a vibrancy that's significantly better than what's found in most American cities. It probably has the best downtown outside of the usual suspects.

On the flipside, Dallas had the least foot traffic of any city I've ever visited. I don't think I saw more than three pedestrians the entire time I was there.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Show me something in L.A. then.

This is downtown L.A. If you can show me multiple area's that look something like this that are connected to downtown but not included in downtown L.A., then I will stand corrected.
los angeles - Google Maps
So all these years I worked at Conn. Ave & K St I wasn't working in dt DC? Please stop the bs! Dt DC goes beyond 16th st. All of those streets you posted are in dt DC.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

Funny, I have never read anything you have said about AA culture. Wonder why.....

You see, when someone is so used to being the center of attention, it's pretty difficult for them to see anything else. Kind of like how someone could say DC has no culture. If you don't see how offensive the statement "DC has no culture, O...well except for the black people" is, then I don't know what to tell you. Funny, the majority population of a major city goes completely unoticed. But this is America, why should that surprise me. Business as usual.

O, the uproar we would hear if someone said Boston had no culture. O...except for the ethnic whites. Sad state the world is still in.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City