Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

New York slows down a lot during the summer, too. There are actually times where you can sit down on a Manhattan-bound rush hour train in the summer. But after Labor Day, it's back to standing up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Uh..... most of us have lived on the East Coast (at least Pwright and myself). I can agree that at least in Boston, the city had a different feel in the summer but that is because Boston is basically the country's largest college town. But did that affect foot traffic downtown? NO. Still super-crowded (probably more-so in the summer with tourists) and especially downtown.
So true. It really didn't.

If what these easterners are saying is true about places like Boston, Phily, DC, Baltimore, and NYC emptying out for the summer then in the worst month of this year August 2012, I witnessed and experienced the eastcoasts true second city, Boston. What made me instantly fall in love with Boston was how much more vibrant it felt at all times of the day compared to DC, Phily, and Baltimore and when I was leaving the tour guide told me this isn't even hell week yet. Apparently the 2 weeks after I was there would get even busier as college kids from around the country would make Boston the U-Haul capital of the US. If that was my experience with Boston as "completely emptied out" I must say, that city goes much to underrated and unappreciated on this board. It's ok, I'm going to change that.

I grew up in the northeast but this is the first time in many years that I've had the chance to pay full attention and observe the BosWash cities.

#loveBoston

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Okay, that's fine. But this thread is about which downtown has the most foot traffic, not which downtown is better.
Oh, looks like you misunderstood BajanMet, I was referring to the foot traffic of each downtown. Which in this case would be LA, DC, and Seattle. LA wins.

Speaking of better, I still hold the same opinion as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
So true. It really didn't.

If what these easterners are saying is true about places like Boston, Phily, DC, Baltimore, and NYC emptying out for the summer then in the worst month of this year August 2012, I witnessed and experienced the eastcoasts true second city, Boston. What made me instantly fall in love with Boston was how much more vibrant it felt at all times of the day compared to DC, Phily, and Baltimore and when I was leaving the tour guide told me this isn't even hell week yet. Apparently the 2 weeks after I was there would get even busier as college kids from around the country would make Boston the U-Haul capital of the US. If that was my experience with Boston as "completely emptied out" I must say, that city goes much to underrated and unappreciated on this board. It's ok, I'm going to change that.

I grew up in the northeast but this is the first time in many years that I've had the chance to pay full attention and observe the BosWash cities.

#loveBoston
August 31st in Boston (particularly Allston and Cambridge/Somerville) is absolutely ridiculous with the amount of people basically all swapping apartments. Boston has some wonky rental customs/practices (I would imagine comes from the ample amount of students realtor companies are able to swindle) and it makes "move-in" day off-the-wall. U-haul capital is no joke.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Hmm... I went to both this summer. August in DC was pretty dead downtown, easy traffic, most museums were enjoyable. I mean, certainly still things going on and people milling around, just not "busy"
August in NYC was comparatively slam packed and the museums were slammed. SoHo was kind of a nightmare walking through, worse than 5th avenue. Chinatown was slam packed also.
I'd say August in NYC was more packed than usual actually...
I knew DC would be slow in August though, it was cool b/c I got to hit up the free museums better.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hmm... I went to both this summer. August in DC was pretty dead downtown, easy traffic, most museums were enjoyable. I mean, certainly still things going on and people milling around, just not "busy"
Downtown DC is just not that thrilling. It's very busy during work hours, but dies off quite a bit afterwards.

The city is doing its best to create a lighter and more playful side to downtown, but that's hard to do in a city that's very, very serious. Everything about Downtown DC is serious. The architecture is very imposing and serious. 21-year old girls donning pearl necklaces are serious. The secret service agents riding around town in bulletproof SUVs with machine guns are serious. It's not exactly a place you want to frolic in.

When I think of Downtown Washington, I get images of Robert Ritter, the C.I.A. Deputy Director in Clear and Present Danger. I even hear the movie's score replete with the snare drum in the background.

Clear and Present Danger (7/9) Movie CLIP - If I Go Down You're Going With Me! (1994) HD - YouTube

Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. San Fran/ Philly
4. DC
5. Boston

after that it gets too close... Seattle would probably come next though

Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
A decent video of typical foot traffic in Philly gets busier the seconf half as he enters Rittenhouse

Helicopter & Walk down busy Walnut Street Philly 24/2/10. - YouTube

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

303 posts, read 578,935 times
This is a average day on State street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0MlG...yer_detailpage

Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Show me something in L.A. then.

This is downtown L.A. If you can show me multiple area's that look something like this that are connected to downtown but not included in downtown L.A., then I will stand corrected.
los angeles - Google Maps
No matter what you say dt DC is nothing unique with its districts within dt. Golden Triangle, West End and 11th & F st are all dt just like South Park, the Financial District, Bunker Hill and Little Tokyo are all part of dt Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City