Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 01:16 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times

Advertisements

NYC and Chicago are more relative to each other when it comes to skyscraper development history. Philly lacks in the skyscraper department. Only NYC can give Chicago a run for it's money when it comes to making taller and bigger. Chicago is the birth place of the skyscraper while Philly was stuck on not building anything higher than the William Penn statue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Chicago is like NYC.

I'm not sure if Philly is really like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobettername View Post
Chicago is nothing like New York and Phily shares with New York the same East Cost dynamics: the two cities are just hundred miles apart
I agree and disagree with both of you.

Alot of people here on City-Data say that Chicago and New York City are completely different, which I disagree with. They then say something silly like "Chicago has alleyways" or the East Coast is all elitist. Like alleyways make a city or that the majority of New Yorkers are rich Manhattan snobs and not middle class workers living in the outer boroughs.

Having said that, I do agree that Philadelphia is probably culturally closer to NYC than Chicago. But lets not pretend that anyone of these cities is so different that it belongs on another planet.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies Eagles Fan View Post
Ay Slimean why ain't ya responding to me? Embarrassed you live in an inferior swampy city? It cute how you Dc cats think you in the northeast. We ain't want no welfare town here, we invented America in the northeast and all Dc done for the country is given us a recession by robbin our tax money!
Oh my God, dude. This isn't the streets. It's an online discussion forum. Please work on the grammar. You're embarrassing us Philly folks.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Chicago is like NYC.

Chicago is not like NYC.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobettername View Post
Nope. Atlanta is the king now. Also, NYC's three international airports have always been moving more than two Chicago airports.

For connections yes (though total volume for Midway and O'hare may exceed the ATL). For end destination passengers (those that actually leave the terminal) the ATL is surpassed by many airports. It is a huge a hub and a large destination, not even close to the largest end destination airport though

Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Chicago is like NYC.

Neither city is like NYC. Chicago is far closer in size to Philly. Honestly outside of skyline many good arguments can be made that Philly and NYC have more in common than do Chicago and NYC. But no city in America is like NYC. Both Chicago and Philly are tow of my personal favorites whther they are like NYC or not. All three are among the best US cities though IMHO

Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
I wouldn't want Chicago to be like NYC or Philly..that's what make it's style unique from them everything from deep dish pizza, architecture, Wrigley Field and music. However, when it comes to skyscraper development history you will hear more references to NYC and Chicago not Philly. Philly didn't have the kind of boom that the bigger two cities did. Chicago has had over a century of skyscraper development well ahead of Philly to make up it's mountainous skyline. Philly will never catch up to it's dominant skyline in our life time. I will even go on to say it has more skyscrapers than both Philly and Boston combined. Outside of NYC Chicago over shadows Philly with it's more bigger dominant skyline. Chicago is a mountain while Philly is just a foothill. Philly's skyline is closer to Houston's size. Chicago is in it's own league.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I wouldn't want Chicago to be like NYC or Philly..that's what make it's style unique from them everything from deep dish pizza, architecture, Wrigley Field and music. However, when it comes to skyscraper development history you will hear more references to NYC and Chicago not Philly. Philly didn't have the kind of boom that the bigger two cities did. Chicago has had over a century of skyscraper development well ahead of Philly to make up it's mountainous skyline. Philly will never catch up to it's dominant skyline in our life time. I will even go on to say it has more skyscrapers than both Philly and Boston combined. Outside of NYC Chicago over shadows Philly with it's more bigger dominant skyline. Chicago is a mountain while Philly is just a foothill. Philly's skyline is closer to Houston's size. Chicago is in it's own league.

Absolutely on skyline. Chicago is actually my favorite in the country though NYC is far more massive (so own league for Chicago is false but a different skyline league than Philly absolutely). Outside of skyline there are many things where Chicago and Philly are comparable on skyline there is no comparison

Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Quote:
Chicago is like NYC.

So, a city 500+ miles a way is more similar to NYC than a major city 85 miles away?
Im a life long New Yorker currently living in Chicago, and you are completely wrong on that comment. Chicago is not really that similar to New York, IMO. Philly and NYC have many for commonalities.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:35 PM

364 posts, read 715,495 times
I can somewhat see why someone would compare the two cities. Not particularly because they are similar to each other, but because both are two large American cities that tend to be overlooked. Philly tends to be overshadowed by its big brother NYC, while Chicago tend to be overlooked because of its location.

To this day, Chicago is still not exempt from being referred to as being located in flyover country, the heartland, or Middle America and then you have people from NYC that like to belittle Philly.

Philadelphia tends to be the butt of more jokes than Chicago, but surprisingly, it seems like Chicago is the one with the inferiority complex. Philadelphians seem to share a trait with New Yorkers, in that they have so much civic pride that they don't give a crap what others think about their city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City