Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times

Advertisements

What do Harvard and Yale have to do with Philly and Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What do Harvard and Yale have to do with Philly and Chicago?
I was replying to a specific claim that U of Chi Law is on the same level as Harvard and Yale Law. That's ridiculous.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
By whom?
By the world. Do some research.

As I was very clear in explaining, the current pecking order among the top 6 is 3 + 3 (H/Y/S followed by UofC/Col/NYU). So you are right that at the moment Harvard and Yale are marginally ahead of Chicago.

But that's a fairly recent phenomenon (last 10-15 years). For most of the post-war period Chicago was seen, by people who know the subject, as equal with H/Y/S. Columbia was also right there or close behind.

Even now, although Chicago has consistently trailed Harvard and Yale in the rankings in recent years (and you are right that most people would probably opt for H/Y over UofC), their reputational scores are essentially the same.

Quote:
I take it you're a student at UofC Law School.
I am not. But something tells me I know about law schools a little more than you do.

Quote:
If given the chance, 99 percent of UofC students would bail for Harvard and Yale. Judges think they're better. Law firms think they're better. Law professors think they're better. This really shouldn't even be a discussion.
Nonsense. Yes, Yale is heavily prized by recruiters because the class size is so small and it's the most selective law school in the nation. But otherwise the top 6 schools are pretty interchangeable when it comes to recruiting... No law firm, not one, will pick a candidate from Harvard or Stanford over Chicago (or Columbia or NYU for that matter) purely on the basis of school. Once you get into that stratosphere, decisions are made based on the candidate's other attributes.

Quote:
Chicago hasn't even had a Supreme Court Justice. Six of our current Justices attended HLS (including Ginsburg, even though she finished Columbia). The other three finished Yale. Again, Chicago has had NONE. So how could you possibly conclude that Chicago is on the same level as Harvard and Yale?
This is just one stat. On most others, Chicago consistently scores in the top 3 or 4 in the country. They are all basically in the same group of super elite schools (although law students will of course spend hours nitpicking over this and that to prove that one is better than the other).

One thing is for sure for purposes of this discussion: UPenn, while a terrific law school (and a solid top 10-14), can not be included in that group.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:54 PM

63 posts, read 73,973 times
Philadelphia is much more down-to-earth than Chicago and that's the main reason people see it as a more important city. Philly has been around long enough that it no longer has to use ego as a crutch.

Chicago does not have a school with the same reputation as Penn, either.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
By the world. Do some research.

Even now, although Chicago has consistently trailed Harvard and Yale in the rankings in recent years (and you are right that most people would probably opt for H/Y over UofC), their reputational scores are essentially the same.
"Reputational scores?" Harvard has a much better reputation than Chicago, period. It's not even close. It doesn't even matter what any surveys say.

Quote:
I am not. But something tells me I know about law schools a little more than you do.
What makes you think that? Do you think you're the only person who has ever gone to law school?

Quote:
Nonsense. Yes, Yale is heavily prized by recruiters because the class size is so small and it's the most selective law school in the nation. But otherwise the top 6 schools are pretty interchangeable when it comes to recruiting... No law firm, not one, will pick a candidate from Harvard or Stanford over Chicago (or Columbia or NYU for that matter) purely on the basis of school. Once you get into that stratosphere, decisions are made based on the candidate's other attributes.
That's not true. Recruiters will recruit deeper into classes at Harvard and Yale than they will at Chicago. There's also a monumental difference for those looking to teach law.

Quote:
This is just one stat. On most others, Chicago consistently scores in the top 3 or 4 in the country. They are all basically in the same group of super elite schools (although law students will of course spend hours nitpicking over this and that to prove that one is better than the other).
Students nitpick between Harvard and Yale. A student will be more inclined to choose Harvard if he or she wants to go the law firm route; Yale if the student is more inclined to go the academic route. But most students are not going to nitpick between Harvard and Stanford. And they're definitely not going to nitpick between Harvard and Chicago. Again, most Chicago students probably wish they were at Harvard or Yale. That's not true the other way around.

Quote:
One thing is for sure for purposes of this discussion: UPenn, while a terrific law school (and a solid top 10-14), can not be included in that group.
They both have the same number of SCOTUS justices: 0. What makes you think Chicago is "super-elite?" Please stop kidding yourself.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-30-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Bruce View Post
Philadelphia is much more down-to-earth than Chicago and that's the main reason people see it as a more important city. Philly has been around long enough that it no longer has to use ego as a crutch.

Chicago does not have a school with the same reputation as Penn, either.
Nice snark!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:

What makes you think that?
Well it just doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about.

Quote:
They both have the same number of SCOTUS justices: 0. What makes you think Chicago is "super-elite" but not Penn? Please stop kidding yourself.

By that logic, Chicago is also on the same level as Pepperdine or Touro. Stop to think about it, I guess Howard then has a better law school than Chicago as they had one SC Justice!

Listen, I don't need to spend anymore time on this with you. I've said all there is to say. I suggest that you pick up and read the last USN&WR... then the previous five or ten. Do some research. Then come back to me.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Well it just doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about.
Seem? Saying that Chicago is on Yale's level is like saying Arnold & Porter is on Cravath's level. Good firm, but not even in the same ball park. You're talking about a whole different level of prestige, buddy.

Quote:
By that logic, Chicago is also on the same level as Pepperdine or Touro. Stop to think about it, I guess Howard then has a better law school than Chicago as they had one SC Justice!
No. It's just not on the same level as Harvard and Yale. Clearly, the logic games were not your strong suit on the LSAT.

Quote:
Listen, I don't need to spend anymore time on this with you. I've said all there is to say. I suggest that you pick up and read the last USN&WR... then the previous five or ten. Do some research. Then come back to me.
For what? To see that Harvard, Yale and Stanford consistently outrank Chicago? In the real world, the rankings are really like this:

Super Elites: Yale/Harvard
Elites: Stanford/Columbia
Excellent: Chicago/Penn
Damned Good: UVA/NYU/Penn (hovers between two categories, but it's an Ivy, so its prestige factor is high)
Good: Michigan/Georgetown/Cornell

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-30-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
No. It's just not on the same level as Harvard and Yale. Clearly, the logic games were not your strong suit on the LSAT.
Pot calling the kettle black? According to you, the number of SCOTUS justices is a key criterion for the quality and reputation of a law school. Wouldn't that have to mean that Howard is better than both Chicago and Penn then? Or did I miss something?

Quote:
Super Elites: Yale/Harvard
Elites: Stanford/Columbia
Excellent: Chicago/Penn
Damned Good: UVA/NYU/Penn (hovers between two categories, but it's an Ivy, so its prestige factor is high)
Good: Michigan/Georgetown/Cornell
I was really hoping you wouldn't repeat this dumb list. But let it stay there for posterity as the Authoritative BajanYankee Law School Ranking. That's okay, I doubt anyone has discussed (or cares to discuss) law schools on this forum in so much detail, so you might be safe.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Pot calling the kettle black? According to you, the number of SCOTUS justices is a key criterion for the quality and reputation of a law school. Wouldn't that have to mean that Howard is better than both Chicago and Penn then? Or did I miss something?
Yep. You missed something. Harvard and Yale have something in common: multiple Supreme Court justices.

Chicago has none. Zero. Zilch. If Chicago were clearly "super elite," then wouldn't it have at least ONE Supreme Court Justice? It's like Californians on this Board claiming that L.A. and SF belong right up there with New York and London, but yet Sotheby's and Christie's don't have art showrooms in L.A. and SF (this is just one example). That fact, however, does not place L.A. and SF on the same level as Memphis. They're just not on the "super elite" level that NYC's on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City