Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

How Many Presidents did Philly pump out?
I think Chicago has 1. (lincoln didnt live Chitown i think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It just pumped out a Constitution. No biggie.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM

63 posts, read 73,973 times
Among big cities, only NYC has a president it can call its own.

Lists of Presidents of the United States by place of birth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philly gave the USA it's first ordained saint and can claim 2 saints. i know, not the same thing as a president, but kind of cool anyhow.

Quote:

Old 11-30-2011, 04:24 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Bruce View Post
Among big cities, only NYC has a president it can call its own.

Lists of Presidents of the United States by place of birth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philly gave the USA it's first ordained saint and can claim 2 saints. i know, not the same thing as a president, but kind of cool anyhow.
Really hear of John Adams or JQ Adams?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yep. You missed something. Harvard and Yale have something in common: multiple Supreme Court justices.

Chicago has none. Zero. Zilch. If Chicago were clearly "super elite," then wouldn't it have at least ONE Supreme Court Justice?
Damn you are good! How did I miss that? So wait, the rule is that if you want to be a "super elite" law school you must have multiple (or at least one) SCOTUS justices. Okay, got it. Does that mean that Albany, Cincinnati and Washington & Lee are all most definitely "super elite" law schools? They each have TWO!

Or is it necessary but not sufficient? So you must have at least one if you want to be a "super elite" law school, but even if you do have one - or more - it does not mean that you are super elite? And does this apply only to "super elite" designations or to your other ones as well.

Who made up these rules, genius?

Anyway, I wasn't even talking about Harvard and Yale... I was replying to your claim that UofC and Penn are on the same level because they both have zero SC justices. Classic!

Just stop embarrasing yourself, you are way out of your league.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Or is it necessary but not sufficient? So you must have multiple if you want to be a "super elite" law school, but even if you do it does not mean that you are one?
Yep. That's it. It's good to see that you learned something after blowing all of that money on Kaplan. It's a necessary but insufficient condition of being a "super elite" (as you said) law school.

Quote:
Who made up these rules, genius?
Who made up the rule that says Harvard is better than Boise State? Or the rule that says NYC is a world-class city but Detroit isn't?

Quote:
Anyway, I wasn't even talking about Harvard and Yale... I was replying to your claim that UofC and Penn are on the same level because they both have zero SC justices. Classic!
That's not what I said. You said that Chicago is basically viewed the same as Harvard and Yale. I replied and said that your comment was ridiculous (which it is). Harvard and Yale have a few characteristics that set them apart from other law schools, the number of SCOTUS Justices being one of them. When neither Penn nor Chicago has had a SC Justice, how do you justify putting Chicago up in that "elite stratosphere" alongside Harvard and Yale but not Penn?

You're just mad because I exposed your claim for the tomfoolery that it is.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
When neither Penn nor Chicago has had a SC Justice, how do you justify putting Chicago up in that "elite stratosphere" alongside Harvard and Yale but not Penn?
Because it is better -- and more on the level of Harvard and Yale -- on every single criteria that actually matters. Always has been. Not by a huge margin, mind you, as all margins at this level are pretty small, but enough to make a difference between super elite and elite. And everybody in the legal world knows it.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Because it is better -- and more on the level of Harvard and Yale -- on every single criteria that actually matters. Always has been. Not by a huge margin, mind you, as all margins at this level are pretty small, but enough to make a difference between super elite and elite. And everybody in the legal world knows it.
It's one thing to say that it's better, which is a proposition I'm not necessarily inclined to disagree with. It's another thing to say that Chicago occupies the same rarefied air as Harvard and Yale. I know people can get really emotional about their cities and all on here, but sometimes fierce advocacy crosses right over the line into pure delusion. See San Francisco Bay Area vs. New York City threads.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
And based on the job he's done, one president from Chicago is too many. You don't see Pennsylvania bragging about James Buchanan or Georgia bragging about Jimmy Carter.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
And based on the job he's done, one president from Chicago is too many. You don't see Pennsylvania bragging about James Buchanan or Georgia bragging about Jimmy Carter.

I think Buchanon has the dubious distinction of the only unwed Prez, though many have acted like they were...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City