Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times

Advertisements

I was just curious but to think that South Bend , IN and Chicago share the same
Metropolitan area is crazy!

this is why I was more or less leaning with the MSA because IMHO the area seems to be a tighter reflection of an Metro area.

Even Rockford in the Chicago CSA?

May as well add Milwaukee to the CSA that makes more sense than South Bend, IN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I was just curious but to think that South Bend , IN and Chicago share the same
Metropolitan area is crazy!

this is why I was more or less leaning with the MSA because IMHO the area seems to be a tighter reflection of an Metro area.

Even Rockford in the Chicago CSA?

May as well add Milwaukee to the CSA that makes more sense than South Bend, IN
I don't know, I don't look at cities by population but base on qualities I find attractive vs qualities that are not attractive to me. However I prefer metros above 3.5 million/4 million. Maybe Chicago's suburbs in Indiana are bridging into South Bend?

Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I don't know, I don't look at cities by metros/population but base on qualities I find attractive vs qualities that are not attractive to me. However I prefer metros above 3.5 million/4 million. Maybe Chicago's suburbs in Indiana are bridging into South Bend?
Right, I would agree with that statement.

With the exception of Chicago burbs blending into the South Bend area.
It is not even on the same time zone.
A case would be hard to make under one metro if they do not even share a time zone , at least I would think.

Thread drift (sorry)

Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Chicago is bigger than Philly though as a media market they are actually much closer. DMA places Philly at about 800K less than Chicago, this if you include the populations within 40 miles of Center citiy, Including Mercer/Trenton/Reading/Allentown, AC etc. for a population of about 8.5 million or so.

To Slyman on the post about suburbs among the top 100, that census data has yet to include municipalities un 40K I believe of which nearly ALL pa suburbs fall below this due to very small borders in this area, when these are oncluded quite a few burbs in Philly will make the list, including both Villanova and Gladwyn both consistently among the 10 (not 100) wealthiest zips in America.

On the comparison in some ways a single functioning core city Philly is likely most comparable among US cities on a number of criteria. There is a post with many statistics to show such though Chicago is the larger of the two, no doubt.

DMA Houshold ranks
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...-dma-ranks.pdf

Old 10-23-2011, 06:05 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
The MSA is an inferior metric for what is a metro IMO. For example for those who have been to Boston/San Francisco/Seattle/Minneapolis know Boston/San Francisco metros are closer in size to that of Dallas/Philly/Houston than are to Seattle/Phoenix/Minneapolis. CSA is more telling of Greater Boston or the SF Bay Area
Again, that's certainly your opinion. As someone who used to live in the Boston, I find it a bit of stretch to include Providence, RI or New Bedford, MA in the same lump as "greater" Boston.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm not sure why someone would compare Philadelphia to Chicago. Chicago really doesn't compare to any other cities besides New York and Los Angeles. As a metro area it's three times the size of Philadelphia in population.
Philly is a pigeonholed area, given the same MSA boundaries as Chicago it would be almost as populated without even infringing on New York MSA. The Philadelphia area is right behind Chicagoland in terms of raw population numbers. So don't act like Chicagoland's population gap is so big compared to the Delaware Valley.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-23-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Philadelphia and Chicago seem very similar to me in many ways, both negative aspects and positive. I agree with the poster that said it may be the best comparison of any cities. They are unique in that there has always been a large blue collar presence which seems rare for cities so big and cultural.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
That list of MSAs includes Washington and Baltimore in the same MSA. That's two major cities. Philly has much punch than those numbers would suggest. I think not too long ago Philly was on equal pegging with Chicago, but due largely to the growth of the DC area (New York has been ahead of Philly for centuries) it's being overshadowed. The growth of DC, however, has benefited the entire Northeastern corridor and Philly is bound to get some kind of payoff for it.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 AM

OKay why dont we just end all the csa msa stuff and say the whole eastern seaboard is a a megapolis.

Clearly that is the case

Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That list of MSAs includes Washington and Baltimore in the same MSA. That's two major cities. Philly has much punch than those numbers would suggest. I think not too long ago Philly was on equal pegging with Chicago, but due largely to the growth of the DC area (New York has been ahead of Philly for centuries) it's being overshadowed. The growth of DC, however, has benefited the entire Northeastern corridor and Philly is bound to get some kind of payoff for it.
Hmm, hard to compare MSAs over the years since they evolve quite a lot, but the last time the cities of Chicago and Philadelphia proper were on "equal pegging" was 1890.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City