Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Miami, your allegiance belongs to?
Miami 110 39.01%
Seattle 172 60.99%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM

419 posts, read 995,392 times

Advertisements

MIA most definitely

Seattle is nice , but not really for my personality, the cloudy/rainy/snowy weather not really into altho MIA does get it's share of rain.

Also Seattle is a VERY white dominated place with limited diversity, whereas MIA is hispanic dominated, and good international selection of people.

MIA= More Energy, Better Food, Better Culture, Tropical, Better Women, Beautiful beaches. International Feel, Better Shopping, Better Sports teams

Also if I want to go to the bahamas or on a yacht I can, plenty of fishing, warm weather and sunshine year round.

Seattle does have nice scenary, and a nice skyline, but that is where it ends for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 PM

233 posts, read 528,931 times
One thing I've noticed is that people on this ignore Broward and Palm Beach counties when speaking of Miami suburbs,..... besides Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Miami Shores, Aventura, Miami Springs, Kendall in Dade County, you have Weston, Plantation, Coral Springs, Parkland, Boca, Delray, Wellington, and other unicorporated sections of western Broward and Palm Beach that are on par with suburbs anywhere in the country. It appears many people wouldn't feel comfortable living in Dade County but would probably be fine with most of Broward, and especially southern Palm Beach County.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,967,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
One thing I've noticed is that people on this ignore Broward and Palm Beach counties when speaking of Miami suburbs,..... besides Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Miami Shores, Aventura, Miami Springs, Kendall in Dade County, you have Weston, Plantation, Coral Springs, Parkland, Boca, Delray, Wellington, and other unicorporated sections of western Broward and Palm Beach that are on par with suburbs anywhere in the country. It appears many people wouldn't feel comfortable living in Dade County but would probably be fine with most of Broward, and especially southern Palm Beach County.
That's a pretty good point. I tend to keep anything in Palm Beach out of Miami talk but Broward is certainly ok especially given how much sprawl other mentors have. There are some nice suburbs in Broward which are often forgotten.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM

443 posts, read 874,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
MIA most definitely

Seattle is nice , but not really for my personality, the cloudy/rainy/snowy weather not really into altho MIA does get it's share of rain.

Also Seattle is a VERY white dominated place with limited diversity, whereas MIA is hispanic dominated, and good international selection of people.

MIA= More Energy, Better Food, Better Culture, Tropical, Better Women, Beautiful beaches. International Feel, Better Shopping, Better Sports teams

Also if I want to go to the bahamas or on a yacht I can, plenty of fishing, warm weather and sunshine year round.

Seattle does have nice scenary, and a nice skyline, but that is where it ends for me.
Seattle has the better food, in my opinion. Better produce, better seafood, better restaurants, better supermarkets, better wine and cocktail scene and, yes, better and wider variety of ethnic food. Also, I would argue Seattle has much better cultural offerings and is a more cultural city. Yes, Seattle on the whole is a relatively white city but it has some very diverse, integrated areas, including the most diverse zip code in the country.

One last point, Seattle has a more vibrant downtown, more interesting distinct neighborhoods on the whole, and is a more walk able city.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,781,521 times
I think as far as natural beauty, Seattle is far ahead of Miami. Same goes for quality of neighborhoods. Plus, Seattle is within a short drive of both Vancouver and Portland. Miami only has Tampa and Orlando, both of which are not as good of cities as Vancouver and Portland, imo.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,649,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think as far as natural beauty, Seattle is far ahead of Miami. Same goes for quality of neighborhoods. Plus, Seattle is within a short drive of both Vancouver and Portland. Miami only has Tampa and Orlando, both of which are not as good of cities as Vancouver and Portland, imo.
vancouver is like a 2 hour ferry ride away and portland is like 3-4 hours away. But portland is uninteresting if you live in seattle imo so basically you have vancouver

Orlando and even tampa has more to do than portland but yeah i otherwise agree, vancouver over both

As far as natural beauty, seattle has more impressive views. I fell in love with the skyline but picture postcard views are not everything. Miami has beautiful beaches which you will actually use, lush vegetation, and a nice and gorgeous drive down the keys.

And no neighborhood in seattle will compare to the energy and vibrancy of miami beach.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 PM

41 posts, read 116,825 times
Seattle for me. I would rather live in a city known for it's own sense of quirkiness and distinct character. Miami is a city that I would prefer to visit rather than live in. I've also always been under the impression that Seattle is more well read and educated which is desirable as well in my opinion.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,781,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
vancouver is like a 2 hour ferry ride away and portland is like 3-4 hours away. But portland is uninteresting if you live in seattle imo so basically you have vancouver

Orlando and even tampa has more to do than portland but yeah i otherwise agree, vancouver over both

As far as natural beauty, seattle has more impressive views. I fell in love with the skyline but picture postcard views are not everything. Miami has beautiful beaches which you will actually use, lush vegetation, and a nice and gorgeous drive down the keys.

And no neighborhood in seattle will compare to the energy and vibrancy of miami beach.
You can easily reach Portland in well under 3 hours. Also, how do people not use the mountains and forrests surrounding Seattle? Biking, hiking, climbing and boating are just some of the many activities one can do out in Seattle.

But in the end, everything that has been said it simply opinion.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,957,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Good point. While I wasn't all that impressed with Miami proper, I thought Ft. Lauderdale was really nice, I loved how Weston planned out their community, and I adored West Palm Beach. But honestly, out of those 3, Weston was the only one that to me felt like a suburb. The other two felt like their own distinct place separate from Miami and its suburbs.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,823,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Portland and Vancouver BC both can be reached under 3 hours. You can use car, bus and train to get to either.

As for the ferry... its also a 3 hour ride... to Vancouver Island -- not the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City