Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBMaYNE View Post
Hip hop is decent now? How so?
-The best artist out right now are Cudi and Kanye, and that's not saying much. I love both of them, but not enough to define this generation as being decent.
Sad that you've lost contact with HIP HOP to think that........

Hip Hop hasn't gone anywhere... "We" (as in people like you and the public) just stopped listening. BUT, It's still there, alive and well......

Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 AM

83 posts, read 176,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You're only looking at Hip Hop from the surface. Just to name some of the names who have made music I like a lot in the last 2 years, those include:

A-1
AG Cubano
ASAP Rocky
B-Jada
Balance
Big KRIT
Curren$y
Danny Brown
DaVinci
Erk Tha Jerk
Freddie Gibbs
G-Side
J-Dawg
J. Stalin
The Jacka
Jay Rock
Joe Blow
Kendrick Lamar
Killa Kyleon
Killer Mike
Locksmith
Los
Los Rakas
Meek Mill
Moe Green
Nio Tha Gift
Nipsey Hussle
Pill
Roach Gigz
Rockie Fresh
Sean Sentry
Shady Nate
Smigg Dirtee
Tha Joker
Thurz
Tuf Luv
Young Gully

It's all there, you're just not listening.
I'm referring to the mainstream hip hop yall have been discussing. Don't start name dropping underground artist because you know exactly what I was talking about. I personally don't listen to the mainstream unless my girlfriend is listening to the radio. I have plenty of great current hip hop I listen too. I'm talking about the artist that define our generation, it's a saddening state compared to what it used to be.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
It seems like almost every new rapper that pops up on mtv or blogs has some wierd gimmick. Like every rapper needs to have a gimmick just to stay relevant or to exposure. You have Solja Boy with his numerous antics ($55 million jet ROFL), You got some people talking about being anti-christ on record, you have lil b calling himsel "pretty *****" and "i'm gay", you got v-nasty using the n word and a bunch of other wierdos claiming to be "different" but in reality they suck.

Anyone hear about buddy from Dallas who wore lipstick and pantyhose? He said he was trying to "blur the gender gap" and have people "open their mids" GTFOH! its obvious that he just wants to get his name out there

I don't want to seem like I'm complaining but honestly I don't know if hip-hop will be relevant any longer. I think it might just fade away.

mas23
I agree with the 1st 2 paragraphs.

The 3rd as well, but I hope hip hop doesn't fade away all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
There's plenty of good, "real", non-gimmicky hip-hop out there, it's just that it's mostly independent stuff that doesn't get commercial play like the gimmicky stuff everyone sees on MTV, hears on the radio, etc, which is basically pop music in many cases: very shiny, flashy, attention grabbing, a lot of big record company money and influence behind it, plenty of nice beats, well-done videos, but often lacking in depth and originality. The radio/MTV/BET, etc, has always had lots of lower quality gimmicky/pop-rap on it, it's not exactly a new thing.

Hip Hop is definitely relevant and it's not even close to dying. You have to work for the good stuff though, because MTV and BET aren't gonna give you much of it (unless they decide it will bring them enough money...but it's the gimmicky/pop stuff that makes the most bank, so they mostly stay with that)
Agree with this too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
soulja boy is not the only swagger jacker but he's definitely one of the biggest.
Don't forget about Bow Wow.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
I agree with the 1st 2 paragraphs.

The 3rd as well, but I hope hip hop doesn't fade away all together.

Agree with this too.

Don't forget about Bow Wow.
It sure does look like it will fade away based on the path it's taking now. There's so much more singing involved in hip hop music now then there ever was, and now there's a fascination with electronic hip hop that's dominating the air waves and slowing pushing standard hip hop away completely.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Nah... Hip Hop by nature is birthed from the streets... It will NEVER fade away.

What we hear in mainstream has nothing to do with where HIP HOP is, actually. As long as a kid could have an idea and express it with his mouth, through dancing, with art, making beats or etc, Hip Hop will live on.
It's up to us listeners to direct the path that it takes instead of throwing our hands up and saying "it's dead." If we just stop listening because every time we turn on the radio, it's more garbage, we're not doing Hip Hop any justice or service. It's alive and well, and in fact, it's heart is beating stronger than it was abou 6 years ago in 2005. It's on the right path, BUT now it's up to us to PREFER TO LISTEN TO THOSE ARTISTS AND MAKE THEM KNOWN!!! If we don't, the radios and videos are going to continue to pump the garbage, because SOMEBODY is listening to that garbage and it gets played in clubs. They only play what they hear that we like.

There are more artists out there right now than ever, but we ignore them... We ignore at least 90% of them! I hear you all, but don't try to give me the "I'm talking about mainstream, I'm aware of what's underground but it's not as good or new" point because I hear it and witness that same view everyday and find out that those people that say that 95% of the time are not completely aware of ALL that's going on... The talent out there WANTS to blow, but people like that (that would be their audiences) ignore them because they don't like what they hear in the mainstream neglecting that it's THEMSELVES that ultimately have the control...

If you're one of the people with the opinions that it's dead or just not any good anymore, YET not taking part in any A3C, J.U.I.C.E., the Estria Battles and other Hip Hop related activities, you're not supporting it and really, just aren't aware of the TRUE DEPTH of Hip Hop in 2011... You've chosen to IGNORE Hip Hop because it's being emulated by the attack of the swagger jackers...

At least the people that don't participate in Hip Hop's activities but still believe in it will at least search out the new artists and tell others about them. We're in an information age. That means the power behind ANYTHING lies in what is being shared amongst others. Those Hip Hop listeners love to share the info they have on artists, which sparks an interest in other people's ears... Then, eventually that once unheard of/underground artist gets a shot at the mainstream market... HENCE - the success of Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Dee-1, Guilty Simpson, Black Milk, Danny Brown and so on... Those dudes were dropping music well before being mainstream and really owe their success to the spread of their name by people sharing "the good in Hip Hop" (by the way, I'm no Drake fan)
Word of mouth is SO IMPORTANT to Hip Hop, and the closed mouth/ "it's dead and fading away" opinion is a poison...
Hip Hop NEEDS YOU to take back the mainstream, but it doesn't need YOU to live because it IS the streets... It will live on with or without you...
Mainstream is about money, and the money goes where the people go...

So, if you're sitting at home complaining about Hip Hop not being like yester years, then congratulations on being a part of the problem...

Step ONE) STOP ASSUMING YOU'RE THE ONLY PERSON WITH YOUR OPINION THAT THE MAINSTREAM HIP HOP IS GARBAGE AND HIP HOP IS NOT THE SAME... I say that because, everyone that feels that way is just ONE in a crowd of a 10 million... Your opinion isn't unique... As a matter of fact, it's COMMON. With that being said, you can't believe that with ALL THOSE PEOPLE THAT THINK the new mainstream Hip Hop music is garbage, that NONE of those people have talent... Millions of them have talent!!! AND WANT TO BE HEARD!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM

408 posts, read 580,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You're only looking at Hip Hop from the surface. Just to name some of the names who have made music I like a lot in the last 2 years, those include:

A-1
AG Cubano
ASAP Rocky
B-Jada
Balance
Big KRIT
Curren$y
Danny Brown
DaVinci
Erk Tha Jerk
Freddie Gibbs
G-Side
J-Dawg
J. Stalin
The Jacka
Jay Rock
Joe Blow
Kendrick Lamar
Killa Kyleon
Killer Mike
Locksmith
Los
Los Rakas
Meek Mill
Moe Green
Nio Tha Gift
Nipsey Hussle
Pill
Roach Gigz
Rockie Fresh
Sean Sentry
Shady Nate
Smigg Dirtee
Tha Joker
Thurz
Tuf Luv
Young Gully

It's all there, you're just not listening.

Kendrick is the truth.. he's just now getting popular, I kinda like that he is not as noticed though..

Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM

No one is saying that hip hop isn't going to live on, of course it will LIVE ON, everything does.. Classical, Jazz, Opera, Hair Bands, Disco, etc.... There's all still there, there's still artist making these types of music and probably at a very high level of musicianship higher than when it was actually popular. But are they in the forefront anymore? No, they're not. Just like hip hop, it's going to be a generational genre that once was....

Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Hippidy hip hop hop boom bop ba doom bop bop do the doo wop wop and you'd bettter not stop!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBMaYNE View Post
Hip hop is decent now? How so?
-The best artist out right now are Cudi and Kanye, and that's not saying much. I love both of them, but not enough to define this generation as being decent.
-Easily the two biggest names are Drake and Lil Wayne, which are both absolutely terrible and have mass appeal, not talent. Lil Wayne is nothing compared to what he used to be, and Drake is replaying 50 Cent's career all over again.
-Eminem has lost everything he used to stand for, now every song features a singer with a catchy chorus, something he NEVER did in the past. He defining the musical content he used to bash when he was younger.
-Jay Z's lyrical content now consist of talking about how much money he has, that's it.
-Nicki Minaj does voices when she raps.
-Wiz Khalifa has some decent beats on his album, but I think he just copied and pasted the lyrics from one song to the next.
-Busta Rhymes thinks I'm going to mistake his stuttering for being a really fast rapper.
-Pitbull is popular.
-Tyler The Creator is exploiting how bad hip hop today is by convincing everyone that he's something new and fresh.
-There's a new dance move out every month.

It's just sick. And it's sick to think you think that hip hop is decent now. You either really young or really stupid. I'm not even comparing hip hop nowadays to the 90's because that wouldn't be fair. But still, just comparing it to early 2000's isn't even close. We've lost most of our talent due to an ignorant fan base, age, and loss of content. In early 2000's we still had Nas, a better Eminem, a better Jay Z, Kanye, Common, Outkast, Clipse, T.I., The Game, Mike Jones, Missy Elliot, Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, The Roots, Ludacris, Nelly, Chamillionaire, Jadakiss, Cam'Ron, Jurassic 5, Fabolous, Jadakiss, Trick Daddy, Big Tymers, Juvenile, Weebie, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, DMX, Xzhibit, Petey Pablo, Fat Joe, Ja Rule....There's so many I can't even think of all them off the top of my head, but look how many I did get..
I admit that all of those rappers I listed are not the best rappers, but they were still relevant and we all remember there names, trying naming that many dominant artist these days? It's impossible. Oh, and yes a lot of those I named are still around, but look at them nowadays? They're not even respectable compared to when they first started, it's because the industry has turned them into complete sh**.

Decent to me means "it's alright". Kanye, Jay, therer still okay. We have J Cole who is also good (not great Imo), Lupe is still relevant even though his last CD was his weakest, BOB is good. We have Big Krit, Freddie Gibbs, Jay Electronica (A BEAST!!). I agree it's alot of trash out (look at my previous post). Yes agree early 2000's were a hell of alot better than now but in 2011 hip hop is better than it was like 3 or 4 years ago.

I still think it that either Hip Hop might fade to the back like what happened with jazz and blues or will turn into something that totally unrecognizeable and more "pop" like.

Edit: Now there's nothing wrong with party music or just chillin' music. We're all people and most people like to have a good time once in a while. I just prefer there to be more diversity in music. One of the best things about the internet is that you can listen to whatever you want without being force-fed music through BET and MTV.

Last edited by mas23; 11-11-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Going back...
Trying to stick with the "Hip Hop in your town" discussion, let's start to talk about:

WHAT "HIP HOP IS ALIVE" SIGHTINGS OR ACTIVITIES DO YOU SEE IN YOUR TOWN? If you don't know of any, look some up, ask around, etc... Let's TRY to bring Hip Hop back to the forefront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City