Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is probably the only city besides New York to be involved in hip-hop from the very beginning. Modern graffiti is said to have started in Philly. The first "gangstar rapper", Schooly D was from Philly as well as the first female rapper, Lady B. DJ Jazzy Jeff also invented the style of turntable scratching called "transforming". The biggest artist right now is probably Meek Mill-the city's been in love with this kid for a few years now. The Roots are probably my favortie act out of Philly.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM

96 posts, read 363,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
True, I forgot about Tech N9ne.

I didn't say that those cities didn't have rappers though, I said that they didn't have well-known artists (though you're right that Tech N9ne is). KCMO obviously has a lot of rappers... Rich The Factor, Fat Tone (RIP), Rappin Twan, etc. The other cities also have rappers but by your OP I thought you meant people that the average Hip Hop listener could name... I doubt too many hip hop listeners could name DBL Rhyme Family or Bossman outside of locals or people like myself who listen to the underground rappers from other cities.

To answer your main question, the main cities with a mainstream presence in Hip Hop culture are:

NYC
Los Angeles
Bay Area
Memphis (You have to add Memphis, Crunk style was created in Memphis, and many Memphis artists have influenced Atlanta and many cities around that region)
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Detroit
Chicago
New Orleans
Houston
Pittsburg (recent)
Miami (recent)

That's about it. Cities that don't have much of a mainstream presence but have an underground presence are:

Sacramento
Kansas City
San Diego (San Diego has had a few mainstream Rappers like, Lil Rob, Jayo Felony, and Mitchy Slick, many other Chicano Rappers like, Mr. Shadow, Lil One, Nightowl, Aztec Tribe, Mr, Sancho, Dyablo, Silencer, and others Damu, Don Diego, Dannu of the Visionaries and many others around the Metro Area)
Boston
Minneapolis
Cleveland/Akron (Although they did have BT-n-H)

Other than that, there's a couple odd cities here and there that have produced a couple well-known rappers (Virginia Beach and DC for example) but don't really have a scene.

Also most big Cities in the U.S. have skilled Emcees, just not very known. But pretty much all Big cities have a Hip-Hop scene.

Last edited by VX-Nefarious; 10-23-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 06:37 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX-Nefarious View Post
Also most big Cities in the U.S. have skilled Emcees, just not very known. But pretty much all Big cities have a Hip-Hop scene.

You named the two cities I thought of after I couldn't edit the list lol.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I could do Houston. Disregard moat in swishahouse and suc. They are good for beats, not mich else after that. I'll name when I get to a computer later. Rangers have my attention right now.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:32 PM

96 posts, read 363,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I think some cities are exotic to Hiphop culture because we get into this rotation of NY, LA, ATL, Hou, NOLA, Memphis, Philly, Miami, Oakland, Chi, Cleveland. All those cities had a few mainstream artists before the mid 90s. So with saying that.

Nelly with ST Louis
more recently
Drake from Toronto
even tho kardinal been out.
Wiz from Pittsburgh
Wale from DC

And guess you can say Willy Northpole from Pheonix, even though he isn't as mainstream as the others.

I wish more international rap artists breakout into mainstream American Hiphop as well. I don't think most American hiphop heads and listeners even know how big and international the culture is.

Tokyo, Japan
SEEDA - DEAR JAPAN - YouTube

Warri, Nigeria. this chick is actually apart of BET music matter
nneka-showin love - YouTube

Marseille, France
Keny Arkana - De l'opéra à la plaine 2 - YouTube

Hip-Hop has big scenes in Many Latin American Countries.

East Side Boxing Forum

All this counties are included on this thread. Some quality artist from that country.

Mexico
Puerto Rico
Colombia
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Peru
Venezuela
Spain
Brazil
El Salvador
Chile

The UK
Germany
Russia
Italy

all have big scenes as well

Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I could do Houston. Disregard moat in swishahouse and suc. They are good for beats, not mich else after that. I'll name when I get to a computer later. Rangers have my attention right now.

You forgot Rap-A-Lot. And how are Swishahouse and SUC not good for rappers?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
I want to know the same thing.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Because most of the artists under those groups suck.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
LOL!!!!
That's actually pretty funny, but I can't agree...

I feel like I grew up with Lil Keke
and Mike Jones, Chamillionaire and Slim Thug were cool.
But Paul Wall was my dude. I like his flow. I think he's VERY underrated.

(Nobody get offended by his opinion please. No starting beef here, everyone is entitled to their own opinions)

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

If you think Z-Ro, J-Dawg, Big Moe (RIP), Slim Thug, Lil Keke, etc. suck that's your loss. But like Psykomonkee said, you're entitled to believe that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City