Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for the best cities for light rail transit
Portland 19 42.22%
San Diego 5 11.11%
Dallas 3 6.67%
Denver 10 22.22%
St. Louis 11 24.44%
Salt Lake City 6 13.33%
Sacramento 2 4.44%
Phoenix 4 8.89%
Minneapolis 5 11.11%
Seattle 7 15.56%
Pittsburgh 2 4.44%
Charlotte 5 11.11%
Houston 6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Rank each of these cities for rapid transit. This battle is for cities that have light rail systems only without any heavy rail subway integration. Any city with heavy rail subway lines is not included in this comparison. Rank these cities based on efficiency, ridership, coverage, transit integration, expansions, and TOD development.

Portland
San Diego
Dallas
Denver
St. Louis
Salt Lake City
Sacramento
Phoenix
Minneapolis
Seattle
Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I voted for Portland, Seattle, and Denver. Rail transit works well in these cities as they actual have nice and active downtown areas and pockets of density within the cities themselves.

Portland for its ambitious light rail expansions, for a metro of only 2 million it has such an extensive wide network of light rail lines. It's also one of those cities where you can fly into and easily hop on a train right from the airport terminal and roll right into donwtown with little hassle. The streetcars in downtown are also great.

Seattle - I like Seattle's system because it feels like an actual metro system as most of the track is either elevated or subway. The expansion seems to be slow going but it will get there (someday).

Denver for FasTracks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FasTracks
http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/systemmap.php
This is a very ambitious expansion plan with commuter and light rail expanding to the airport, Boulder, Golden, and through Aurora. Pretty much hitting every angle of the metro area. The only thing that could be improved upon is more rail within the city of Denver itself, perhaps a streetcar down Colfax Ave for starters.

Honorable mention: Salt Lake City - though it didn't get my vote who'd have thought that a medium sized city/metro like Salt Lake would get so many light rail lines (and awesome freeways to boot).

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-28-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
I think you can judge here fairly objectively. You just need to find ridership #, coverage %, track length, etc.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Just a question for the transit buffs, is LRT considered "rapid" transit? I always thought that term was reserved for the grade-separated (subways/metros/els) systems.

Also, Norfolk is a city that (while probably not the best) now qualifies to be on the list.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Denver and Portland, followed by St Louis.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
I don't understand why people make a big deal about the difference between light rail and a subway. I mean yes, subways go underground, but a lot of subways sometimes go above ground in places (Chicagos L is sometimes above ground, sometimes below). Yes the trains themselves maybe a bit heavier, bigger capacity, but I for all intensive purposes they are the same thing.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think you can judge here fairly objectively. You just need to find ridership #, coverage %, track length, etc.
Here you go...

Source: http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Rank by central city population

Houston - 2,099,451
Phoenix - 1,445,632
San Diego - 1,301,617
Dallas - 1,197,816
Charlotte - 731,424
Seattle - 608,660
Denver - 600,158
Portland - 583,776
Sacramento - 486,488
Minneapolis - 382,578
St. Louis - 319,294
Pittsburgh - 305,704
Salt Lake City - 186,440

Rank by daily ridership

Portland - 133,000 daily trips
San Diego - 96,800 daily trips
Dallas - 76,800 daily trips
Denver - 67,900 daily trips
St. Louis - 52,000 daily trips
Salt Lake City - 43,500 daily trips
Sacramento - 41,700 daily trips
Phoenix - 38,700 daily trips
Minneapolis - 30,500 daily trips
Seattle - 27,100 daily trips
Pittsburgh - 23,800 daily trips
Charlotte - 15,400 daily trips
Houston - 35,700 daily trips

Rank by track length

Dallas - 72 miles
San Diego - 53.5 miles
Portland - 53 miles
St. Louis - 46 miles
Sacramento - 36.9 miles
Denver - 35 miles
Pittsburgh - 25 miles
Phoenix - 20 miles
Salt Lake City - 19 miles
Seattle - 15.6 miles
Minneapolis - 12 miles
Charlotte - 9.6 miles
Houston - 7.5 miles

Rank by percentage of central city population served by daily trips

Salt Lake City - 23.33%
Portland - 22.78%
St. Louis - 16.28%
Denver - 11.61%
Sacramento - 8.57%
Minneapolis - 7.97%
Pittsburgh - 7.78%
San Diego - 7.43%
Dallas - 6.41%
Seattle - 4.45%
Phoenix - 2.67%
Charlotte - 2.10%
Houston - 1.70%

Note: While it is likely that it is not just city residents using transit in these cities (it is always a mix of both residents and tourists/commuters), I thought this metric was interesting.

Conclusions

Not surprisingly Portland, when weighted against all of the metrics, does the best out of all of these cities. Suprisingly Salt Lake City is right on it's tail at having the second most effective system. While it would be easy to say that Houston and Charlotte are the worst, they can at least be given a pass for now for having relatively new systems without much track. Dallas on the other hand...

Also, those looking for a comparison of passengers per mile, forget about that metric. It tells you nothing useful when comparing transit systems in different cities, especially when there is a such a large disparity between population size and the size of the transit system.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 AM

611 posts, read 1,600,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I don't understand why people make a big deal about the difference between light rail and a subway. I mean yes, subways go underground, but a lot of subways sometimes go above ground in places (Chicagos L is sometimes above ground, sometimes below). Yes the trains themselves maybe a bit heavier, bigger capacity, but I for all intensive purposes they are the same thing.
I'm not an expert at this but isn't it due to the speed factor? Heavy rail/subways may go above ground but they don't share surface streets with automobiles & pedestrians while lightrail systems do. (slowing down commute times vs subways)

Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
It depends on how it's built. Most LRT systems are not 100% in dedicated right of way and totally separate from traffic and pedestrians which drastically slows them down. The reason is cost. It's MUCH cheaper to build tracks on or along side a street than to create a dedicated right of way above or below ground.

St Louis has probably the closest thing to heavy rail using light rail technology. They were able to use existing downtown tunnels and bridges and there are only a few at grade crossings with streets and their newer extensions have new subway tunnels, so most of the sytem funtions esentially as a heavy rail system, even downtown.

Some have a nice hybrid of subway and elevated portions with on street portions in downtown areas (Denver for example) where they have portions where they run fast (like along I-25) but when they get downtown, they are probably slower than buses.

Some run mostly at grade like Baltimore and Salt Lake City with few (if any) portions of high speed dedicated right of way.

All heavy rails like what DC or Chicago has (regardless of if they are subway or elevated or in a secured right of way) are 100% in dedicated right of way.

It really does make a big difference. The reason most LRT lines are not like this is due to cost.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:40 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Just a question for the transit buffs, is LRT considered "rapid" transit?
It could be, but usually not. Rapid transit is high frequency, high volume, and grade separated. It's usually either underground or elevated above street level. If it runs at ground level it's separated from all other roads, usually resulting in all of the roads running perpendicular to the rapid transit line as being dead-ends (thats why rapid transit lines at ground level are pretty rare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City