Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 57 53.27%
Atlanta 50 46.73%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
shopping overall is similar, Yes KOP and Lenox are similar, neither in the core. In terms of DT shopping Philly has more and better integrated though not as good as some other DTs. Lenox is slightly closer than KOP. KOP is the larger of the two actually
Yes the walking from plaza to plaza wears me out..

Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Yes the walking from plaza to plaza wears me out..

Well they are connecting them, will take the retail sq footage to over 2.7 million sq feet

Simon to Expand, Connect the Venues at King of Prussia Mall

Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Culture - Philadelphia
Shopping - Tie
Restaurants - slightly Philadelphia
Things To Do - Tie. Atlanta closer to mountains. Philly closer to beaches and not far from mountains itself.
Economy - Atlanta
Quality of Life - subjective..Tie
Housing costs - Atlanta but Philly isn't that expensive itself just because it's between DC and NYC
Public Transportation -Philadelphia easily
Nightlife - Tie because it depends on what nightlife you're use to.
Art galleries - Philadelphia
Weather - Philadelphia..I like snow
Parks - Tie
Music scene - Tie
Education - Philadelphia because Upenn.
Lifestyle - Philadelphia..Like the urban lifestyle more than Atlanta's.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well they are connecting them, will take the retail sq footage to over 2.7 million sq feet

Simon to Expand, Connect the Venues at King of Prussia Mall
Looks like Simon is about to embark on a building boom. They have plans to demo the valet porte-cochère and connect Lenox (which Simon also owns) with Peachtree. This will get rid of those godawful open parking lots and tie in with pedestrian improvements that have been going in along that stretch of road for the last few years. The details are slim at the moment but I've heard of a park being added as well along the Lenox road corner.

Lenox Square Mall spending $633K to demolish its main entrance | Atlanta Restaurant and Retail Openings & Closings | What Now Atlanta

Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Atlanta for sure

Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM

148 posts, read 234,143 times
You'll rarely catch me defending the North against the South, but Philadelphia wins this by a MILE in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
You'll rarely catch me defending the North against the South, but Philadelphia wins this by a MILE in my opinion.
In what way?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Culture - Philadelphia
Shopping - Slight edge to Philadelphia because I'm a sucker for the older style layout.
Restaurants - to be honest, no clue. I loved the cheese steaks when I was there, but I've heard Atlanta is a pretty good restaurant city itself.
Things To Do - I'd say Philadelphia. It has better neighborhoods, better history (therefore has an upper hand in things like museums, etc), it's a considerably larger, more diverse city too. It also has a much better urban fabric, so getting from one place to another is usually closer and easier.
Economy - Earlier this millenium it was obviously Atlanta...but not anymore. Atlanta has been hit pretty hard by the recession. While Philadelphia isn't booming, it's doing better than Atlanta.

Unemployment:
Philadelphia: 8.1%
Atlanta: 9.9%

GDP & Growth (2010 GDP, 2009-2010 growth %):
Philadelphia: $346.9B 3.37% growth
Atlanta: $272.3B 2.21% growth

So Philadelphia has lower unemployment, a larger GDP, and a faster growing GDP. Clean sweep in my opinion.

Quality of Life - Subjective...to me, I would prefer Philadelphia.
Housing costs - Philadelphia is cheap for the Northeast, but Atlanta is plain cheap. Atlanta wins this one.
Public Transportation - MARTA is good, SEPTA is real good. Philadelphia
Nightlife - Are you going to a bar or to a club? You don't need me to tell you which is better at what.
Art galleries - No clue
Weather - Totally subjective. I don't mind the snow, and I think I'd prefer Philadelphia's winters over Boston's. Philadelphia for me.
Parks - Tie...both are really good in this area. Though Rittenhouse Square is the best out of either city.
Music scene - No clue. Atlanta for pop-rap, that's for sure.
Education - Philadelphia by quite a margin.
Lifestyle - As I've said earlier, I don't mind things like snow, and I prefer the urban lifestyle. Philadelphia for me.

Atlanta is a very nice city, but Philadelphia offers more of what I want...except for college football haha.

Last edited by JMT; 12-19-2011 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Removed what was off topic.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,500 times
Culture-Atlanta, depends what you like though
Shopping-Never been to KOP, but Walnut St is overrated IMO, so I would say a tie
Restaurants-Toss up between the two. Philly probably won this in a landslide 10 years ago, but Atlanta is quickly catching up in the foodie dept.
Things To Do- Atlanta, once again subjective
Economy-Atlanta over the long run, Philly right now today and that's off the dome really. Atlanta still is a much better place to hustle and own your own business.
Quality of Life-Atlanta, no question
Housing costs-Atlanta, no question
Public Transportation-Probably Philly, although I'm not sure. Never rode SEPTA
Nightlife-Subjective, I personally didn't like South Street and I'm not a fan of neighborhood bars and pubs unless Im watching a game, Atlanta all the way
Art galleries- not sure
Weather-It was in the 70's here over the weekend, and its in the 60's today.......5 days before Xmas....nuff said
Parks-Atlanta
Music scene-Atlanta, hands down
Education-Atlanta
Lifestyle-Atlanta, its pretty much subjective though once again. Depends what you like.

And there are other intangibles too, like Philly has a much better pro sports culture, but can't even come close to amateur sports in Atlanta like College and HS. And IMO Atlanta has much, much, much better looking women. Wasn't impressed at all with the females in Philly. The car culture in Philly was basically non-existent, the only thing that comes close to Atlanta in that dept. is the Bike and ATV culture in Philly, and even then it's just off sheer numbers. As I don't really see how you can geek something up with the streets being so tight, and you can't keep anything clean with the snow in the winter.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Culture-Atlanta, depends what you like though
Shopping-Never been to KOP, but Walnut St is overrated IMO, so I would say a tie
Restaurants-Toss up between the two. Philly probably won this in a landslide 10 years ago, but Atlanta is quickly catching up in the foodie dept.
Things To Do- Atlanta, once again subjective
Economy-Atlanta over the long run, Philly right now today and that's off the dome really. Atlanta still is a much better place to hustle and own your own business.
Quality of Life-Atlanta, no question
Housing costs-Atlanta, no question
Public Transportation-Probably Philly, although I'm not sure. Never rode SEPTA
Nightlife-Subjective, I personally didn't like South Street and I'm not a fan of neighborhood bars and pubs unless Im watching a game, Atlanta all the way
Art galleries- not sure
Weather-It was in the 70's here over the weekend, and its in the 60's today.......5 days before Xmas....nuff said
Parks-Atlanta
Music scene-Atlanta, hands down
Education-Atlanta
Lifestyle-Atlanta, its pretty much subjective though once again. Depends what you like.

And there are other intangibles too, like Philly has a much better pro sports culture, but can't even come close to amateur sports in Atlanta like College and HS. And IMO Atlanta has much, much, much better looking women. Wasn't impressed at all with the females in Philly. The car culture in Philly was basically non-existent, the only thing that comes close to Atlanta in that dept. is the Bike and ATV culture in Philly, and even then it's just off sheer numbers. As I don't really see how you can geek something up with the streets being so tight, and you can't keep anything clean with the snow in the winter.
What an unbiased post haha. My personal favorite:

Quote:
Sounds like you've got a great long-term plan for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City