Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Warmer, yes. More beautiful? Not a chance.
We can debate if turquoise blue-green waters with swaying coconut palms is more beautiful than Tahoe. Not the point though.

He will be living on the coast, or some distance within the coast, and to go to Tahoe he might do once or twice a month if at all. In southern Florida, he will see those turquoise waters and greenery every single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 03:45 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
We can debate if turquoise blue-green waters with swaying coconut palms is more beautiful than Tahoe. Not the point though.

He will be living on the coast, or some distance within the coast, and to go to Tahoe he might do once or twice a month if at all. In southern Florida, he will see those turquoise waters and greenery every single day.
Your initial point was the winters in So Fla " are more beautiful that anyplace in CA". There's no way you can sell that to anybody who hasn't already purchased. Big Sur at midnight is more beautiful than anyplace in Florida at any time.

What time of the year do you see mountains and alpine lakes?

Tahoe a couple times a year Sure, for most. But the rest of see something similar to this many, if most, days in most winters in my part of CA:

Old 03-14-2015, 03:54 PM

A shot from Southern Florida

We can have a poll if you want

Old 03-14-2015, 04:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
A shot from Southern Florida

We can have a poll if you want
Beautiful.

Poll question: Are the "winters in southern Florida more beautiful than any winter in any area of California"?

Good luck with that.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Every Florida versus California thread always appears to devolve into a debate on beaches, tourism, and/or weather.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 PM

22 posts, read 26,410 times
when u go one accuweather,on US daily extremes,the highest temps that show up,winter nor summer,its aways california.
today was ****ing 98 degrees and im shirtless

Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Beautiful.

Poll question: Are the "winters in southern Florida more beautiful than any winter in any area of California"?

Good luck with that.
I sort of did, Miami Beach vs Santa Monica, which is nicer in January. And Miami Beach won.

I didn't know it meant so much to you. Btw, I'm from Los Angeles, born there, while you're probably some transplant from some godforsaken midwestern city or town. And that picture you posted is not really making Los Angeles look beautiful, but rather like a grander Albuquerque.

Try this picture, I always hated that picture you posted. For some annoying reason it always comes up number 1 on a google image search and people like you select it

But this picture is not what Los Angeles is about. It's like a fat girl posing her skinny angle. Los Angeles is about the ocean or Hollywood. Not mountains, though they're there.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,498 times
Quote:
I sort of did, Miami Beach vs Santa Monica, which is nicer in January. And Miami Beach won.

I didn't know it meant so much to you. Btw, I'm from Los Angeles, born there, while you're probably some transplant from some godforsaken midwestern city or town. And that picture you posted is not really making Los Angeles look beautiful, but rather like a grander Albuquerque.
I am certainly not going to lie to you. I spent 10 years in south florida and now in southern california for the first time. There are so many areas between the two that remind of each other- in terms of landscape. The ventura oxnard area, some gated communities remind of the Miramar, coconut grove, pembroke pines areas. Santa Monica promenade reminds me of south beach and lincoln rd.

I look at it from a different perspective. Being imbedded with the locals, you get a sense that californias designate certain times of the year depending on the temperature to spend time outside. Some of the guys I was with were surprised that santa monica blvd near the pier was so packed. They said normally around this time of the year it isn't so. In miami, lincoln rd, ft lauderdale, and the keys is packed 7 days a week to the rim so it is funny to hear this perspective from locals- they are surfers as well so they got more in depth in terms of the wind directions- something you don't often talk about with folk on the east coast. Sure, there are hi and low seasons in florida but not enough to make people stay home.

But to me, Southern California vs Miami beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But Southern California has more of a subconscious effect on the mind because it is so spread out. I can be in so many areas during the weekend in a matter of a short 1hr drive. In florida, you have to drive a few hours between daytona, tampa, key west, orlando, and miami to get what you can in 1hr in southern california making a stop in each city. But that is my perspective- I never drove up north past west palm beach when living in Miami- never felt compelled as I do in California to visit San Francisco, san diego, etc. It pulls you in unlike florida because florida isn't influenced by other bordering states.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
But to me, Southern California vs Miami beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But Southern California has more of a subconscious effect on the mind because it is so spread out. I can be in so many areas during the weekend in a matter of a short 1hr drive. In florida, you have to drive a few hours between daytona, tampa, key west, orlando, and miami to get what you can in 1hr in southern california making a stop in each city. But that is my perspective- I never drove up north past west palm beach when living in Miami- never felt compelled as I do in California to visit San Francisco, san diego, etc. It pulls you in unlike florida because florida isn't influenced by other bordering states.
That's probably because you're from Florida and California is all new for you. For example I hardly bothered making the drive to Big Bear for California, let alone San Francisco (which I did just once my whole time). On the other hand I frequently drove into Mexico because that was new and edgy.

When I first got to Florida I was excited about the drive to the Everglades, the keys, and taking a day trip to the Bahamas on one of those fast ferries. Now that Cuba is opening up, that may become a new thing. However, as you stated, I hardly ever go to Ft Lauderdale let alone West Palm, in fact I don't even know what's out there. I pretty much stay in my Miami Beach bubble, and occasionally go to Brickell, Wynwood, Little Havana.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,472 times
Quote:

the thing is we have both (except the coconut palm part)... Florida only has one.

by southern florida you mean the florida keys. ive been to Miami multiple times and its not that great of turquoise waters you boast, yes they are nice, but when compared to real tropical beaches its blown away.

also for turquoise waters Laguna Beach has beautiful bays with small beach surrounded by cliffs that make a turquoise light blue water, IMO more beautiful than Miami's flat beaches, for a long stretch of light blue watered beach I could always drive to Malibu or San Clemente in the summer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City