Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:15 PM

406 posts, read 487,943 times

Advertisements

Serious question, I'm studying landfills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,556,671 times
Let's see if the New York vs. Bay Area folks get fired up about arguing who wins this one!

My hometown of Santa Cruz, California had one of the most scenic dumps in the country. It was located just north of town on what would be expensive coastal real estate (if they could ever develop it) on a hilly bluff above the Pacific Ocean. I used to like borrowing my dad's truck to drive yard debris up there when I was a teenager because it was a fun drive.

To be honest the only big city dump I can really specifically think of by name though is the Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island--and that one they closed and are turning into a park.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-18-2011 at 05:06 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM

469 posts, read 972,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Let's see if the New York vs. Bay Area folks get fired up about arguing who wins this one!

My hometown of Santa Cruz, California had one of the most scenic dumps in the country. It was located just north of town on what would be expensive coastal real estate (if they could ever develop it) on a hilly bluff above the Pacific Ocean. I used to like borrowing my dad's truck to drive yard debris up there when I was a teenager because it was a fun drive.

To be honest the only big city dump I can really specifically think of by name though is the Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island--and that one they closed and are turning into a park.
The most notable I remember was Mount Trashmore in Virginia Beach, where they created a large elevated city park out of the former landfill.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,896,696 times
When I was a kid, my parents used to drop me off at the dump in Seattle and tell me to go have fun and find neat stuff. Oh, those were the days...

Seriously, though... Seattle's dumps were well-contained in covered buildings that minimized their impact on the areas they were placed in.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:59 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,556,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
The most notable I remember was Mount Trashmore in Virginia Beach, where they created a large elevated city park out of the former landfill.
They actually called it Mt. Trashmore when they turned it into a park? That's awesome.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

124 posts, read 153,917 times
Lots of cities have turned old landfills into parks, but Toronto did one better. It turned an old landfill into a park/ski hill:

Old 11-18-2011, 06:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,251,770 times
Chicago has a couple elevated city parks built on dumps. Good sledding hills.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,911,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
Lots of cities have turned old landfills into parks, but Toronto did one better. It turned an old landfill into a park/ski hill:
They did that in the SW corner of Michigan decades ago as well.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,035,346 times
Cincinnati can easily stake a claim-to-fame here with its massive "Mt. Rumpke Landfill," which towers over the northwestern suburbs of the metro area--one of the largest dumps in the country. Don't believe it? Just "wiki" it and see for yourself! (Bring the entire family and climb atop it for a whole new vacation experience!)

Old 11-19-2011, 10:27 AM

14,192 posts, read 22,802,313 times
So it was a slag dump instead of a garbage dump, but Summerset at Frick Park is a new residential area built on top of a leveled and stabilized mountain of slag in the city of Pittsburgh. They covered the top with several feet of soil and then got to work building the master plan of high-end houses and condos. The house designs can be found here.

It's already right next to Frick Park, so there was no need to build any huge green spaces, but there are several small green spaces there. Next up is the construction of a small commercial district on site. Here's an aerial view of the site:

So are there any other places in the U.S. where dumps have been turned into new neighborhoods, or was everybody creeped out by the Love Canal disaster? (By the way, slag is a chemically inert material, so there's no environmental hazard here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City