Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,588,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
WHAT IS A YANKEE?

Well, let's get right down to it. A Yankee is:

1. Protestant (Congregationalist, Unitarian, Episcopalian)
2. American (Came prior to 1776. Probably between 1630-1645)
3. A New Englander (Lives in ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT. Or they immigrated from these states)
4. Rural (Boston=Brahmins; The rest of NE=Yankees)
Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont would probably be the main "Yankee" places then as I think they're still fairly rural and high in those faiths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,616,308 times
Living in the rural Midwest, I don't think of myself as a Yankee at all. I probably have as much in common with a rural Southerner as I do with an Urban Northerner. I've never understood why people in the South think that everyone Up North lives in an urban environment. There are country folk in every state.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 17 hours ago)

16,087 posts, read 21,206,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I've never understood why people in the South think that everyone Up North lives in an urban environment. There are country folk in every state.
Maybe for the same reason people in the north think that everyone in the south is a country hick? There are city folk in every state.

People in the south don't think that everyone up north lives in an urbabn environment. C'mon, give with the stereotypes already. Most rational people, north and south, realize that all states consist of both urban and rural environments.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,558,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe for the same reason people in the north think that everyone in the south is a country hick? There are city folk in every state.

People in the south don't think that everyone up north lives in an urbabn environment. C'mon, give with the stereotypes already. Most rational people, north and south, realize that all states consist of both urban and rural environments.
But I have met southerners who refuse to accept that northerners can be just as country.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,996,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
But I have met southerners who refuse to accept that northerners can be just as country.

They havent spent much time in much of PA then

Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 17 hours ago)

16,087 posts, read 21,206,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well, I did say rational people. This board should be proof enough there are plenty of irrational people running around too.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,558,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well, I did say rational people. This board should be proof enough there are plenty of irrational people running around too.
lol Tell me about it! XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
They haven't spent much time anywhere up north. Look at upstate NY, same state as that gigantic city, and yet so rural and, frankly, hickish through-out most of it.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM

14,042 posts, read 15,076,167 times
this is a stupid thread how would you like it if I made a tread like What state do you consider redneck?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,630,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
this is a stupid thread how would you like it if I made a tread like What state do you consider redneck?
Well, since I started it (almost 5 years ago) I will answer your question: Go for it!

Main thing here is, though, in a large part of the northeast (New England in particular) people PROUDLY proclaim their "yankee" status and self-identification as such. There are many businesses in the NE with "Yankee" in the names. (Yankee Candles, Yankee Harvest and, of course, New York Yankees). Nothing wrong with that in the least.

To a European or South American anyone in the United States is a "Yank"
To a Southerner (i.e. generally the Old Confederate and border states), a non-Southerner is a "yankee"
To a Midwesterner a Northeasterner is a "Yankee"
To a Northeasterner a New Englander is a "Yankee"
And usually New Englanders are proud to claim the title!

So point is, you are presuming that yankee is always intended/used in a derogatory fashion. It isn't. It CAN be, of course, but it depends upon context and circumstance and the person in question. And that can vary considerably.

Hell, I will be the first to admit that a "yankee attitude" irritates the hell out of me. That is, those northerners who move to the South and then do nothing but critizise and try and turn us back into the same land they ruined and fled..and never see the paradox.

On the other hand? My own kids are "half-yankee" (born in Texas but their mother -- my ex-wife --was a northerner). Further, in my visits up North, I have encountered nothing but good people and good times (even if they talked funny! Hee Hee). Do you see where I am going with this? "Yankee" is not necessarily -- and usually isn't -- a demeaning term. Any more than calling someone "Red" because they have red-hair can be translated into hating redheads.

On the other hand? "Redneck" is usually ALWAYS used in a negative and disdainful way to refer to a group of people/states. So you are really comparing apples and oranges...

Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,479,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Or Western Mass, Upstate New York, Vermont, Maine or New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
And usually New Englanders are proud to claim the title!
New Yorkers, maybe...however if you say that to someone from Boston (it happened to me plenty of times in college), you'll get a considerably different reaction simply because we associate it with the NY Yankees.

Quote:
So point is, you are presuming that yankee is always intended/used in a derogatory fashion. It isn't. It CAN be, of course, but it depends upon context and circumstance and the person in question. And that can vary considerably.
Yea it definitely can vary in meaning. I've had friends joke about me being a "yankee" while at college...but then I've also heard people call me a yankee and basically mean it as a racial slur.

Quote:
Hell, I will be the first to admit that a "yankee attitude" irritates the hell out of me. That is, those northerners who move to the South and then do nothing but critizise and try and turn us back into the same land they ruined and fled..and never see the paradox.
Well what do you mean by this? It's just a clash of cultures. I'll admit I was a bit reluctant to meld to the Southern way of life upon arrival in South Carolina...but in what way are Northerners trying to turn the Southeast into the land we "ruined and fled"?

Quote:
On the other hand? My own kids are "half-yankee" (born in Texas but their mother -- my ex-wife --was a northerner). Further, in my visits up North, I have encountered nothing but good people and good times (even if they talked funny! Hee Hee). Do you see where I am going with this? "Yankee" is not necessarily -- and usually isn't -- a demeaning term.
haha it's sort of funny that you're talking as if your children are going to have Northern "traits" like a NY/Boston/Philadelphia accent simply because of where their mother hails from.

Quote:
Any more than calling someone "Red" because they have red-hair can be translated into hating redheads.
I never made the term "red" to refer to hair. More that they prefer a hammer & sickle to baseball and a hamburger.

Quote:
On the other hand? "Redneck" is usually ALWAYS used in a negative and disdainful way to refer to a group of people/states.
Very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City