Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times

Advertisements

lets start out sayin', all the yankees I've meet are *******s, most of my family fought in the war defending the south. and i got alot of southern pride and ain't nobody goin' to take it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 PM

932 posts, read 1,948,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler nash View Post
lets start out sayin', all the yankees I've meet are *******s, most of my family fought in the war defending the south. and i got alot of southern pride and ain't nobody goin' to take it away.
So what?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,023,676 times
This question must be directed exclusively towards southerners because nobody north of the Potomac River refers to themselves as Yankees.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,900,544 times
How do people in the West fit in with the "Yankee/Southern" thing? Maybe they don't?

Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,384,162 times
Quote:
What states do you personally consider "yankee"?
Anybody north of the Brazos River and west of the Pecos is a yankee to me.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,203,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
How do people in the West fit in with the "Yankee/Southern" thing? Maybe they don't?
Coming from the West to the South years ago, and still living in the South, I can tell you...you're a Yankee. Period. End of story.

If you aren't from the South and are an American, you're a Yankee.

I tried to tell them when I first got here that no, I wasn't. I was a westerner...definitely different from what I thought of as a "Yankee"...you know, someone from Minnesota or Ohio or Vermont. We definitely look at the nation differently where I grew up...pretty much anyone from east of the Rockies was from "back east"...an easterner, whether they were a Yankee or a Southerner!

One other thing I've noticed is that many in the deep South don't consider some who think of themselves as Southern as being, well, really Southern. Like folks from Texas. A lot of folks were I live think of them as westerners...but not southerners.

On the other hand, I've known some who considered New Mexicans as southerners...that may be news to them.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
half my family is from ohio they are yankees the half is from Va. THE OHIO family chooses politics over family they too extreme with there b s they make me feel as if they would like too see the whole world paved with blacktop or something

Old 12-10-2014, 08:05 PM

305 posts, read 417,442 times
Any city on the East Coat, excluding New England COULD be. Anything else cant be, because anything else, north is Midwestern, not East Coast, and the Yankees/New York is on/in the East, not the Midwest... And even for sports it doesnt make sense cause the Midwest icon for sports surely isnt the Yankees, Id say the RedWings/Bulls or something, and yeah Im from Cleveland, Ohio, no one ever even used that term up there, and I never met any New York team fans while there, some Chicago/Detroit ones, but not New York. Oh and of course the Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This question must be directed exclusively towards southerners because nobody north of the Potomac River refers to themselves as Yankees.
Id say Philly and New York.
But Ive only ever heard the term Yankee from exburb southerners, Im in Atlanta and no one in even ATL uses that term, despite being in Georgia, besides people that live in the rural parts of the exburbs, thats where I only heard it from. And when I was in Alabama from a guy who was from MS, lol. Only southern people consider anything north a Yankee, and I just laugh everytime, like are people that narrow minded to think our country can only be divded by two sections? Jeez, we have a long way to go... Im from the Midwest, not the East Coast, dont call me a Yankee, and im sure someone from Philly/DC, who takes pride in their city wouldnt like it either, especially Philly, they hate NY sports lol

Last edited by Black_Sheep3; 12-10-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 08:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,595,264 times
Any of the New England states, but northern New England more so.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,503,244 times
On the East Coast, any state north of Virginia. I think the true Yankee states are in the Northeast, states like Massachusetts or New York. This might be strange to some, but I don't really consider the Midwest to be Yankee in my book. I wouldn't call someone from Iowa a Yankee, that's solidly Midwestern. In some cases, you can draw more similarities between the Midwest and South than the Midwest and Northeast. Maybe it depends on the area of the South you're coming from. Being from North Carolina, a state that is both Southern and East Coast, any state north of Virginia is Yankee in my book. However, it might be different for someone living in Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City