Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 10:59 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Hi.. I get that the thread's original question is subjective (our personal consideration of which states are "Yankee"). But it's hard for me to understand how Maryland would fit in your wide, generic description. It is below the Mason-Dixon. Was a slave-holding Border South state; has a large historical Catholic population.. Maryland doesn't have a history of exporting/imposing their culture on neighbors, etc..
In a lot of ways Maryland is an opposite of Puritanical New England Yankees..
Yankees vs Rebels literally split the nation in two. I get if you don’t adhere to that definition, but surely you can understand how Maryland fits into the Yankee camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Yankees vs Rebels literally split the nation in two. I get if you don’t adhere to that definition, but surely you can understand how Maryland fits into the Yankee camp.
The Civil War split Maryland in two just as it did Missouri.

And need I remind you what two states have the Mason-Dixon Line as their border?

The poem that provides the (unsung now) words to the state song was a plea to Marylanders to rally 'round the Confederate cause.

What I can't understand is how all this causes Maryland to fall into the "Yankee" camp.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:01 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Most likely, yankee started as a derogatory term used by New Englanders for New York Dutch settlers. John Cheese. Jan Kase. It somehow morphed into being a derogatory for colonials in New England. The civil war changed the usage to mean northerner. In the south, it parochially means “not from here” since a Californian is a Yankee. Outside the USA, it’s a derogatory for Americans.

So New York Yankees is probably true to the original slang word. The original Dutch settlers. In New England, it means descended from Pre-Revolutionary War English settlers. In that context, it can be a derogatory meaning cheap/frugal. It can also imply self-sufficiently in a rural agricultural context. A Norman Rockwell Yankee. The Mark Twain Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court yankee.

So everyone in this thread is correct depending on context.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:15 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Its an indefinite term. yeah it mostly applies to New England, but British often considered anybody from the US to be a Yankee, or at least they did in the past. It just applied more to New England since that's where their focus was in the war.

Within the US though, Mason-Dixon isn't really the dividing line. Maryland would be included being largely Catholic, and did not secede during civil war.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:38 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post

Within the US though, Mason-Dixon isn't really the dividing line. Maryland would be included being largely Catholic, and did not secede during civil war.
Neither did Missouri, though it did have two competing state governments, one pro-Union, the other pro-Confederate, for a couple of years. Both states had significant pro-Confederate blocs of citizens, and Maryland's super-cool state flag was adopted in 1905 as a means of recognizing both and their reconciliation. (Confederate sympathizers took to sporting the arms of the Crossland family - the red-and-white crosses on the state flag - while Unionists stuck with the black-and-gold arms of the Calverts.)

I would think that Maryland's status as the one Catholic colony of the original 13 would be a counterindicator for domestic Yankeehood, as most of the places intra-American Yankees come from have strong Protestant bents even if they filled with Catholics later.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I would think that Maryland's status as the one Catholic colony of the original 13 would be a counterindicator for domestic Yankeehood, as most of the places intra-American Yankees come from have strong Protestant bents even if they filled with Catholics later.

From the Brit point of view though, Catholic was anti British and they probably considered that a US and thus Yankee trait. Protestants were more aligned with Britain religiously, than Catholics. I think it was even illegal to be a Catholic in England for a long time. This was all due to Henry VIII needing a divorce. Divorce was a lucky thing considering what happened next.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:37 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
From the Brit point of view though, Catholic was anti British and they probably considered that a US and thus Yankee trait. Protestants were more aligned with Britain religiously, than Catholics. I think it was even illegal to be a Catholic in England for a long time. This was all due to Henry VIII needing a divorce. Divorce was a lucky thing considering what happened next.
Err. No.

The northeastern United States was overwhelmingly Protestant until the mid-19th century. The Irish immigration wave was 1820 to 1860. In the 1840s, half of immigrants were Irish.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err. No.

The northeastern United States was overwhelmingly Protestant until the mid-19th century. The Irish immigration wave was 1820 to 1860. In the 1840s, half of immigrants were Irish.

Err, you missed the point. it was about Maryland being Catholic.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:02 AM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
Generally think of New England + New York as being Yankeeland.
but it also includes Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania & New Jersey (right)?
Anyone know where Yankee Homecoming is celebrated--besides Newburyport?

Old 01-26-2020, 10:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
When I moved from North Carolina to Alabama as a teenager, a classmate told me I was a Yankee.

I don't ever even think of the concept now as an adult.

My grandmother, from Arkansas, used to say "Come give me a yankee dime!" meaning a kiss on the cheek. I never even thought about the meaning or the history of that phrase till I had been an adult for many years.

I never hear it anymore.
https://www.waywordradio.org/yankee_dime/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City