Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 AM

65 posts, read 71,822 times

Advertisements

LA does not trump NYC in anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
True, except for those who know otherwise or anyone who follows celebrities that are outside the domain of TMZ.

Have Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Kim Kardashian (though they reside in NYC part time as well). I'll take Malcolm Gladwell, Paul Auster, and Lady Gaga.

I think it's incredibly sad that LA has chosen to forfeit so much of its high culture and actual cultural movers. We use to have Aldous Huxley, Ray Bradbury, Walt Disney and the Doors among others. LA can come back again as the area slowly forfeits its grasp on crap. I have high hopes for the city as a native son.
L.A. is at the the forefront for contemporary art and fashion right now, if it helps you feel better. Not to mention architecture--ask anyone who studied contemporary architecture where L.A. ranks. Frank Gehrey, anyone? But yeah, L.A. has a ton of "low brow" celebrities here. Most of the big ones. Easy to dismiss--if you never watch movies or TV shows.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. is at the the forefront for contemporary art and fashion right now, if it helps you feel better. Not to mention architecture--ask anyone who studied contemporary architecture where L.A. ranks. Frank Gehrey, anyone? But yeah, L.A. has a ton of celebrities here. Most of the big ones.
Los Angeles is at the forefront, but alongside four or five other cities and NYC very obviously reigns in front for fashion, and used to for contemporary art (this is one of the areas where LA definitely shines). Frank Gehrey is everywhere, not just Los Angeles. He is a USC graduate, but his projects are all over the place.

LA has a lot of big celebrities, but with residences in NYC as well. Meanwhile, the unfortunately more niche celebrity powers who's calling is to NOT make a complete jackass of themselves is in NYC.

I don't disagree with LA being a large magnet of celebrities. I think you're missing the part where the celebrities often reside at least part time in NYC and that NYC has a much broader expanse of fields.

In technical fields, all that TED talk bull that people who are plugged in actually know or care about, Los Angeles has a distinct disadvantage where it trains a lot of people, but offers them little opportunity to stay. In journalism, writing, technology and critical thinking Los Angeles has decided to pass over them a long while ago. Did you know that Los Angeles was once a large locus for many of these things? Does a significant part of LA care? We've let go of these things and concentrated on the faint flashes in the pan to be quickly forgotten. It's part of what I dislike about LA--that even its recent history is forgotten by its residents and what's touted in place is so ephemeral that it's impossible to build off of to any great extent. LA could be, and to some extent far less than it could be, amazing. Many of its natural advantages has has been given away to a man-made wreck. Its early promise was forfeited. However, it's getting better to some extent.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-28-2012 at 01:36 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
L.A. is at the the forefront for contemporary art and fashion right now, if it helps you feel better. Not to mention architecture--ask anyone who studied contemporary architecture where L.A. ranks. Frank Gehrey, anyone? But yeah, L.A. has a ton of celebrities here. Most of the big ones.
Ironically, Frank Gehrey has more notable buildings in NYC than LA.

And LA can't stack up to NYC in the least bit when it comes to fashion. Contemporary art, yes.

Last edited by alexander8; 03-28-2012 at 01:38 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Los Angeles is at the forefront, but alongside four or five other cities and NYC very obviously reigns in front for fashion, and used to for contemporary art (this is one of the areas where LA definitely shines). Frank Gehrey is everywhere, not just Los Angeles. He is a USC graduate, but his projects are all over the place.

LA has a lot of big celebrities, but with residences in NYC as well. Meanwhile, the unfortunately more niche celebrity powers who's calling is to NOT make a complete jackass of themselves is in NYC.

I don't disagree with LA being a large magnet of celebrities. I think you're missing the part where the celebrities often reside at least part time in NYC and that NYC has a much broader expanse of fields.

In technical fields, all that TED talk bull that people who are plugged in actually know or care about, Los Angeles has a distinct disadvantage where it trains a lot of people, but offers them little opportunity to stay. In journalism, writing, and critical thinking Los Angeles has decided to pass over them a long while ago. Did you know that Los Angeles was once a large locus for many of these things? Does a significant part of LA care? We've let go of these things and concentrated on the faint flashes in the pan to be quickly forgotten. It's part of what I dislike about LA--that even its recent history is forgotten by its residents and what's touted in place is so ephemeral that it's impossible to build off of to any great extent.
There are also a ton of celebrities who are based out of NYC despite it being far from the work in Hollywood.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
True, except for those who know otherwise or anyone who follows celebrities that are outside the domain of TMZ.

Have Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Kim Kardashian (though they reside in NYC part time as well). I'll take Malcolm Gladwell, Paul Auster, and Lady Gaga.

I think it's incredibly sad that LA has chosen to forfeit so much of its high culture and actual cultural movers. We use to have Aldous Huxley, Ray Bradbury, Walt Disney and the Doors among others. LA can come back again as the area slowly forfeits its grasp on crap. I have high hopes for the city as a native son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander8 View Post
Ironically, Frank Gehrey has more notable buildings in NYC than LA.

Fashion and LA don't belong in the same sentence.
Actually, they do, given all the LA based clothing companies I saw in Manhattan on my last visit. Sorry to thr ego bruise. As for Gehrey, his practice is in L.A. Modernism and L.A. go hand in hand. Again, sorry for the ego bruise. If it makes you feel better, you have a great subway system.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Actually, they do, given all the LA based clothing companies I saw in Manhattan on my last visit. Sorry to thr ego bruise. As for Gehrey, his practice is in L.A. Modernism and L.A. go hand in hand. Again, sorry for the ego bruise. If it makes you feel better, you have a great subway system.
But Gehrey seems to have more notable work in New York. Like his first skyscraper;

And besides American Apparel, could you please give me some other big clothing names?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
LOL! This thread is HILARIOUS for its stupidity, a bunch of kids arguing about whether NYC or LA has more celebrities? Really boys?! Really?!

C-D has officially reached a new low if this is all you can contribute.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL! This thread is HILARIOUS for its stupidity, a bunch of kids arguing about whether NYC or LA has more celebrities? Really boys?! Really?!

C-D has officially reached a new low if this is all you can contribute.
It is a silly argument and I don't even know why I indulged. Don't really give a crap about celebrities and I'm sure Los Angeles has more Hollywood celebrities than New York. After all, it is Hollywood. It's like arguing that LA has more finance moguls than New York. It just gets fuzzy since "celebrities" encompass more than actors..but then again, actors and musicians are the most popular form of celebrity. But then again, NYC now has the most popular NFL player and NFL is the biggest thing in America. LOL.

But the answer to this thread is New York. After (1) LA and (2) New York, I'm not sure there's a clear #3.

Last edited by alexander8; 03-28-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
Quote:

Using Hilton, Lohan, and Kardashian as examples is just lazy. There are celebrities in Hollywood that actually do work in movies.

And as far as I know, LA still has Ray Bradbury. I'll throw in Ed Ruscha and Elon Musk as suitable replacements for the other dead two. Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City