U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 190 62.09%
Seattle 116 37.91%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 AM

22,402 posts, read 34,365,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Thats true Center city has more people probably much more dense Seattle is still growing . Center city has like 80,000 people . Seattle is slowly carching up though growing rapidly. currently downtown has about 60,000 people in 2.8 square mile area a little bigger than center city philly . So lesss dense.
CC has 80K in a little over 1 sq mile. At 3 sq miles there are more than twice the amount as in the same area of Seattle. Extend further and again the difference increases. Seattle grew at a higher rate in a larger DT area, but remember than Philly added more people over the same time period in the DT (2000-2010). And the next set of nabes for example Queen Anne is like 10-12K ppsm in Philly the next set is Bella Vista, Passyunk Sq, QV, No Libs, Art Museum area, and U City - most are all well above 20K ppsm and many more in the 30K ppsm range (actually more dense than the core of Seattle and this this next set of neighborhoods) not to mention nearly 100K college students in this area as well.

The sorrounding area of CC has 290K people within an ~ 1.5 mile walk of city hall (That is nearly half the population of the whole city of Seattle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The ONE thing I found interesting in the report is the following
from 1970 to 2000. I know Philly has grown dt since 2000 13%.
Since 2000 Seattles dt has grown 26 %

Growth Rates Downtown & citywide 1970-2000

Seattle: 85.6% 6.9%
Philadelphia: -1.9% -21.4%

I agree Philly has a great downtown, but Seattle does too. The only ridiculous posts in this thread are the ones that claim Seattle cant compete, is two levels behind, blah blah blah........
Well then I would assume you must think that Seattle competes with SF, as Philly and SF are typically discussed in the same tier so-to-speak and that Seattle is not two levels behind SF, correct Slo?

Though the SF faithful are the best fence sitters on this board so am sure making points on both sides will be nothing new.

Last edited by kidphilly; 11-16-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 AM

34,287 posts, read 59,158,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well then I would assume you must think that Seattle competes with SF, as Philly and SF are typically discussed in the same tier so-to-speak and that Seattle is not two levels behind SF, correct Slo?
Not a surprise that you are dragging SF into this discussion.

Its always about SF with you guys. ALWAYS. We feel so special.

Quote:
Though the SF faithful are the best fence sitters on this board so am sure making points on both sides will be nothing new.
Ive been to both and its not a landslide in the least. Downtown Seattle is a very nice place. Do get over it.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,106,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

The natives of cities enjoy being compared to other cities that in the same tier or as close as possible. Philly blows Seattle away completely and they are not even close to being on the same level. How would you like it if Minneapolis or Pittsburgh were compared to SF? How about Miami? Yeah, thought so.

Quote:
Ive been to both and its not a landslide in the least. Downtown Seattle is a very nice place. Do get over it.
Downtown Seattle is a joke compared to Philly. Seattle lacks vibrancy, culture, food, transit, etc. If comparing downtown Seattle to a city in PA then Pittsburgh is the better comparison.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 11-16-2011 at 06:20 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 AM

22,402 posts, read 34,365,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Only when the faithful poke at Philly, you are well aware of this aspect, this goes both ways no doubt.

I like SF and Seattle as has been stated many times. As you will believe that some overstate Philly I find many do the same with both SF and Seattle.

On this I do believe Seattle is a very good DT and do enjoy it, I personally dont see it at the level of either a Philly or SF for many reasons but a very good DT (as I have stated many times)

On density, something we have personally discussed many times. Seattle is not even close to Philly (or SF which is more dense thsan Philly in the core FTM), this has and can be proven many times

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 AM

8,707 posts, read 9,626,678 times
Quote:

I didnt bring up San Francisco, theres plenty of other threads for that. Seattle has a great downtown, that continues to grow at an astounding rate, as seen in the above stats. Its got a world class setting, it has no where to go but up.
I love the fact that the last boom brought a resurgence to downtowns across America, Philly included, Im an urban advocate. Seattle continues to gain desnsity and is an urban draw for people. Thats great it will not stop. Philly is older more established, been there done that attitude. SF is obviously larger, denser etc; but saying all of things doesnt mean Seattle cant compete. That would assume its a no brainer on where someone would want to or choose to live. Its subjective, regardless of what metric you want to throw out. If someone chose Seattle over Chicago, that does not automatically mean they think Seattle is as big, dense, vibrant, whatever. Theres a thousand factors to determine.

I think its silly and absurd for people to scream things like; "Seattle cant compete", "Seattle is two tiers behind Philly", " downtown Seattle is a joke", people are reacting to that crap. Frankly Im surprised you are aligning yourself with some of those posters. Why does every thread have to be a carryover from the last one?
Do you work for the convention and visitors bureau?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 AM

12,390 posts, read 25,959,127 times
Quote:
hmm so its downtown but neighborhoods downtown dont count your not making sense. Belltown is in downtown Seattle Really .
I know it's in DT, you have to follow along the the flow of the thread to get the point. Same thing with the entire premise of this thread.

Quote:
Wow realy Portland has no world wide coffee companies or is even known as a coffee culture town . Lets be realastic .
Portland is definitely known for coffee culture, I'm not aware of any WW coffee brands out of Portland though. Well, I might be aware of them and just don't know they are from Portland. SF also has a coffee culture, but theirs was more derived from a long standing cafe culture. I think Seattlelites might be more serious about their coffee...not sure. SFiscans definitely are also though, but maybe not the same degree, I have much less experience in Seattle.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM

63 posts, read 63,185 times
Not a chance this is the top. Philly's renaissance has just begun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree, Seattle is more on the Level of Denver, Minneapolis and San Diego than Philadelphia. Don't know what is with all the comparisons (NY, DFW, Houston and now Philadelphia).

Seattle was on the way to making it, but never got there because of their gloomy weather, and isolated location. Philadelphia may have gone up and down the rollercoaster and may top be at the top of the rung right now, but at least they have been at the top. Seattle never had enough momentum to make it to the top once

Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM

5,289 posts, read 8,338,523 times
Full disclosure: I've never been to Seattle, although I really want to visit and hope to do so in the near future.

From what I've gathered in hearing about Seattle and in pictures, it looks like a great place and definitely among the top urban centers of this country. While Center City certainly can be called more established and has been around for much longer than Seattle, the momentum that Seattle had over the past half-century has clearly bested Philadelphia.

However, as others have noted, Philadelphia's Center City and its environs has undoubtedly been going through a renaissance that really seemed to kick in high gear over the past 10 years -- and this is only projected to continue.

Although Philly-based posters may come off as overzealous in talking about this, it's really just based in excitement for a city that had be stagnant for so long. To have such remarkable investment finally shows that Philly is going in the right direction.

Overall, I cannot objectively vote since I haven't been to Seattle, but I will say that both seem like authentic urban centers with different but unique vibes. I can't wait to see the PacNW.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,030,352 times
Quote:
CC has 80K in a little over 1 sq mile. At 3 sq miles there are more than twice the amount as in the same area of Seattle. Extend further and again the difference increases. Seattle grew at a higher rate in a larger DT area, but remember than Philly added more people over the same time period in the DT (2000-2010). And the next set of nabes for example Queen Anne is like 10-12K ppsm in Philly the next set is Bella Vista, Passyunk Sq, QV, No Libs, Art Museum area, and U City - most are all well above 20K ppsm and many more in the 30K ppsm range (actually more dense than the core of Seattle and this this next set of neighborhoods) not to mention nearly 100K college students in this area as well.

The sorrounding area of CC has 290K people within an ~ 1.5 mile walk of city hall (That is nearly half the population of the whole city of Seattle)

Queen Anne is not even one of the the denser adjacent neighborhoods, though. First Hill, Capitol Hill (in the real definition of the niehgborhood, not City Data's huge boundaries), and the U District all have PPSM of over 16,000. The highest tracts have PPSMs of 45,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City