U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 190 62.09%
Seattle 116 37.91%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM

443 posts, read 775,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Have you been to Charlotte lately? Their DT has come a LONG way in just the last 5 years including light rail about 1/2 that of Seattle. Major major overhaul. You have a ton of people from NYC/Chicago/Cleveland etc that have relocated there and it has transformed significantly. Charlotte is yuppie central, maybe as many as Seattle! Don't be so quick to bash Charlotte. Charlotte is the #2 banking center in the U.S. What is Seattle #2 at? I think Portland even bests them in coffee these days so I will give them #2 in coffee. So yes, I'd say Seattle reminds me of a larger Charlotte, they have similarities certainly of the categories of what I said. Of course Seattle is better than Charlotte, no questions asked... but no more so than the gap of Philadelphia over Seattle, hence my selection of Charlotte to bring the comparison.
I went to Charlotte last year and think the gap between Charlotte and Seattle is MUCH bigger than the gap between Seattle and Philly. Seattle's downtown is a lot bigger, has a number of distinct sections (unlike Charlotte), has nearly 4-5 times as many bars/restaurants/shops, has far more foot traffic, much higher residential population, much bigger skyline, etc. etc. It's really not close.

While DT Philly surpasses DT Seattle, no doubt, the gap is not nearly as big.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 PM

12,390 posts, read 25,961,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Precisely. Its like, bad karma.
Are both of you hippies? Just curious. You mentioned energy and karma, hippies are concerned with both.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I went to Charlotte last year and think the gap between Charlotte and Seattle is MUCH bigger than the gap between Seattle and Philly. Seattle's downtown is a lot bigger, has a number of distinct sections (unlike Charlotte), has nearly 4-5 times as many bars/restaurants/shops, has far more foot traffic, much higher residential population, much bigger skyline, etc. etc. It's really not close.

While DT Philly surpasses DT Seattle, no doubt, the gap is not nearly as big.
I wouldn't say much bigger, definitely bigger. Anyway the point was made. If Philly to Seattle is a 2:1 gap, Seattle to Charlotte might be a 2.5:1 gap. It would be hard to quantify this I guess. I'm just talking DT though, not the adjacent neighborhoods. Charlotte is weak in adjacent neighborhoods while Seattle has a lot of interesting ones.
What did you think of Charlotte Uptown vs Seattle CBD?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,826,211 times
Quote:
Are both of you hippies? Just curious. You mentioned energy and karma, hippies are concerned with both.
Joke fail. My bad.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,322,734 times
Quote:
No, but I was a punk rocker in the 80s. I like freaks.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM

5,864 posts, read 9,091,790 times
Wow..I have NEVER until this day seen...Seattle Bashers? I mean, come on...why is Seattle being downplayed to the point where its being compared to Charlotte??

Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM

84 posts, read 81,809 times
Nice One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Brookings Institute did a study on American downtowns

They found only 5 downtowns they consider fully developed.

Phildelphia was one Seattle was not, interesting read none-the-less. Seattle was considered an emerging DT with the likes of LA, Portland, Atlanta, San Diego, Baltimore, and Denver. Philadelphia was catagorized with NYC, Chicago, and Boston considerred fully-developed DTs.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf

Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
No, but I was a punk rocker in the 80s. I like freaks.
Punks are much different ideologically than hippies.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 PM

443 posts, read 775,577 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say much bigger, definitely bigger. Anyway the point was made. If Philly to Seattle is a 2:1 gap, Seattle to Charlotte might be a 2.5:1 gap. It would be hard to quantify this I guess. I'm just talking DT though, not the adjacent neighborhoods. Charlotte is weak in adjacent neighborhoods while Seattle has a lot of interesting ones.
What did you think of Charlotte Uptown vs Seattle CBD?
I guess I could see some similarities in feel between these two areas, in terms of the types of buildings and streetscape. However, the scale and vibrancy of Seattle CBD is much better, IMO. Also, Downtown Seattle includes the CBD, West Edge Area, Waterfront, Westlake, Pioneer Square, and Belltown. Some might throw in the International District, and even South Lake Union (although I think that's a stretch). First Hill, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne - definitely not.

But even with the strictest definition, there's no way you can tell me Downtown Seattle doesn't blow Charlotte out of the water.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Wow..I have NEVER until this day seen...Seattle Bashers? I mean, come on...why is Seattle being downplayed to the point where its being compared to Charlotte??
Who knows. Why was Philadelphia being downplayed on the level of Seattle? Also that is not what I did, but I'll play along...

Here is the truth, and it will certainly get some peoples panties in a bunch...but here it goes.

Seattle is probably the most overrated city on this board, definitely top 5. While Philadelphia is one of the most underrated, for whatever reason. Seattle is so far away from everything and probably the city which has the less people on the board who have been to it, so the homers can boast and make silly comparisons all the time with not many people to argue with them. This is of course brought to the spotlight when they build up enough delusions to make a thread like Seattle vs Lower Manhattan, which spawned this very thread.

Didn't you make that thread Mezter? Oh yeah you did...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City