U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 190 62.09%
Seattle 116 37.91%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM

22,402 posts, read 34,237,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Though if you're so sure Seattle isn't even close to Philly in terms of downtown amenities, than why even start this thread? Just to hear others affirm what you already think?

And I'd agree that Philadelphia has a better overall downtown than Seattle--it should--considering it's much larger and has been a sizable urban center since the 18th Century. However at the same time Seattle punches well above it's weight in comparison to any city/metro of comparable size. I mean the City of Seattle itself is only just slightly bigger than Portland. The metro has grown significantly in the past 20 years, but still it's not as large(thank god) as the biggest Sun Belt sprawlers...

Read back and see why this thread came to be
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 5,028,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Modern cafe culture owes nothing to Seattle, go to France or Italy they demolish Seattle and was fully developed long before anything in Seattle. Seattle is popular for making gourmet coffee popular in a chain format nation wide. I.E. Seattle's Best, Starbucks, etc...which led to people not drinking such rubbish coffee.
See: "modern"

Distasteful as it may sound, it's just a fact that your average independent or chain cafe in the 21st century USA owes much of it's business model and a lot of it's market groundwork directly or indirectly to Starbucks, which is a company that nationally popularized an aspect of everyday Seattle coffee culture (which of course had origins in European precedents). Seattle was a big culture exporter in the 1990's, if you recall.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM

11,207 posts, read 11,098,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Most Americans don't like Seattle, doesn't even rank in the top 10 for travel within our country. Therefore, you know people abroad don't think highly of it.

I went once for pleasure and only returned the second time for my cousins wedding. I would not have came back unless for a reason, not worth my time/money.

1. Maybe for you, but not for me. Vibrant enough to visit but not live.

2. I disagree. Philly is more upscale for shopping

3. I do not care for the dining in Seattle as a whole. Good seafood and not much else unique.

4. The nabes are too spread out. This is evident even by native Seattle posters where they admitted Portland of all places was more walkable.
Really?, how bout you get out of the Northeast and see what the oter 250,000,000 people of this country can offer

Seattle has a great downtown, though obviously not as good as Phillys (its 3 mil VS 6 mil what do you expect) But you sell everything South and/or west of Philly short in everything.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM

22,402 posts, read 34,237,699 times

Philadelphia, USA / Sunway Travel Group - YouTube

Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM

12,390 posts, read 25,878,854 times
[quote=rotodome;21730084]See: "modern"

Distasteful as it may sound, it's just a fact that your average independent or chain cafe in the 21st century USA owes much of it's business model and a lot of it's market groundwork directly or indirectly to Starbucks, which is a company that nationally popularized an aspect of everyday Seattle coffee culture (which of course had origins in European precedents). Seattle was a big culture exporter in the 1990's, if you recall.[/quote
that's true. There are plenty of modern italian cafes though... I'm not sure if they are national though. Not as many as seattle style, sure I agree, Seattle defined a lot of the 90s.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 PM

443 posts, read 772,462 times
Quote:
It is in Portland, SF, NYC, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc also. I wasn't sayin git isn't, I siad it was popular for bringing it to the masses, not that it was especially unique.

No axe to grind, I just thought the Seattle vs LM thread was preposterous.
I agree completely that DT Seattle vs. LM is an absurd thread. But DT Seattle vs. DT Philly is not. Philly wins, for sure, but it's not a totally ridiculous comparison.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 PM

12,390 posts, read 25,878,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I agree completely that DT Seattle vs. LM is an absurd thread. But DT Seattle vs. DT Philly is not. Philly wins, for sure, but it's not a totally ridiculous comparison.
This wasn't a real thread per se either though, only made to draw attention to how bad the other one was. But sure comparisons can be made.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 PM

443 posts, read 772,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Most Americans don't like Seattle, doesn't even rank in the top 10 for travel within our country. Therefore, you know people abroad don't think highly of it.

I went once for pleasure and only returned the second time for my cousins wedding. I would not have came back unless for a reason, not worth my time/money.

1. Maybe for you, but not for me. Vibrant enough to visit but not live.

2. I disagree. Philly is more upscale for shopping

3. I do not care for the dining in Seattle as a whole. Good seafood and not much else unique.

4. The nabes are too spread out. This is evident even by native Seattle posters where they admitted Portland of all places was more walkable.
Ive heard people from Boston say the NW and SW quadrants of Portland are more walkable than Boston. Not saying I agree, but Portland has an incredibly walkable (albeit, relatively small and not super vibrant) center. Have you ever been there? It's recieved multiple urban planning awards and been written up in the NYT and other papers many times for how walkable and pedestrian friendly the Downtown and inner neighborhoods are. On the whole, I don't think Portland can compete with Philly, Boston or even Seattle - but pound for pound, it has one of the most walkable centers in the country.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 9,037,221 times
Quote:
Oh but it is... Mezter is from the west coast and thoroughly supports west coast cities, he left his heart on the west coast. He is not a New Yorker. He just moved there to Long Island and complains about it. kidphilly made the counter-thread, as he often does thankfully, when delusions run rampant on here. The point of this thread was to show how delusional the other one was, when Seattle can't even hang with Philadelphia, much less Lower Manhattan. How that is not obvious I don't know, I knew that was the point as soon as I saw it.
I think its was more of a "Lets turn this into another Philly Thread" rather than just trying to make a point.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,587,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

^^^Is this who you work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City