Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 192 62.34%
Seattle 116 37.66%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,209,909 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,078,944 times
Certain posters are to be ignored only. They are so far over the top, that they NEVER make an unbiased or valid point. EVER. We know who that is....

The ONE thing I found interesting in the report is the following
from 1970 to 2000. I know Philly has grown dt since 2000 13%.
Since 2000 Seattles dt has grown 26 %

Growth Rates Downtown & citywide 1970-2000

Seattle: 85.6% 6.9%
Philadelphia: -1.9% -21.4%

I agree Philly has a great downtown, but Seattle does too. The only ridiculous posts in this thread are the ones that claim Seattle cant compete, is two levels behind, blah blah blah........

Last edited by slo1318; 11-15-2011 at 11:06 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM

443 posts, read 875,345 times
The video quality is awful, but here is a video of typical (not packed but not empty) foot traffic in one of the main activity nodes in Downtown Seattle, for those who have never been there. I didn't want to post one of those downtown/neighborhood guide videos, but i think this is a good representation.

Walking to Seattle Westlake Station - YouTube

Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,246,686 times
Seattle has a nicer downtown

Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,816,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Honestly, this comparison is a joke. If we are going to compare Philly to a hippie mecca out west then it should be SF. SF is world class and has a world class downtown along with Philadelphia, not Seattle.
Thats funny even though Seattle isnt a hippy town you more negative things you want to say . Cant you comment on some facts or debate somthing instead of puting down 4 million people.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
When you have seen world class cities like London, Paris, NY, Chicago, Amsterdam, Brussels and even Philly.....Seattle is a joke on every level starting with vibrancy, transit, foot traffic, architecture, culture, etc. The only thing going for the city is natural beauty which can be found on a higher level in other cities. Seattle is not worth the plane ticket IMO, too many other cities to see in the world.
Philly world class in the same league as london ?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Seattle feels like a larger version of Charlotte's DT, both kind of modern/new/somewhat sterile. No offense to Seattle but true. It's seriously lacking in history/architecture/vibe compared to a Philly or SF. Plus the transportation is a joke.
I also agree if you combined ATL DT and Midtown it would fare well against Seattle.
This is DT btw, not Capitol Hill, Belltown etc.
hmm so its downtown but neighborhoods downtown dont count your not making sense. Belltown is in downtown Seattle Really .

Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Have you been to Charlotte lately? Their DT has come a LONG way in just the last 5 years including light rail about 1/2 that of Seattle. Major major overhaul. You have a ton of people from NYC/Chicago/Cleveland etc that have relocated there and it has transformed significantly. Charlotte is yuppie central, maybe as many as Seattle! Don't be so quick to bash Charlotte. Charlotte is the #2 banking center in the U.S. What is Seattle #2 at? I think Portland even bests them in coffee these days so I will give them #2 in coffee. So yes, I'd say Seattle reminds me of a larger Charlotte, they have similarities certainly of the categories of what I said. Of course Seattle is better than Charlotte, no questions asked... but no more so than the gap of Philadelphia over Seattle, hence my selection of Charlotte to bring the comparison.
Wow realy Portland has no world wide coffee companies or is even known as a coffee culture town . Lets be realastic .

Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I went to Charlotte last year and think the gap between Charlotte and Seattle is MUCH bigger than the gap between Seattle and Philly. Seattle's downtown is a lot bigger, has a number of distinct sections (unlike Charlotte), has nearly 4-5 times as many bars/restaurants/shops, has far more foot traffic, much higher residential population, much bigger skyline, etc. etc. It's really not close.

While DT Philly surpasses DT Seattle, no doubt, the gap is not nearly as big.
Thats true Center city has more people probably much more dense Seattle is still growing . Center city has like 80,000 people . Seattle is slowly carching up though growing rapidly. currently downtown has about 60,000 people in 2.8 square mile area a little bigger than center city philly . So lesss dense.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,291,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Thats funny even though Seattle isnt a hippy town you more negative things you want to say . Cant you comment on some facts or debate somthing instead of puting down 4 million people.
You put down 6-7 million while bashing Philly. What is the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Philly world class in the same league as london ?
I said Philly was world class and that London was world class. I never said Philly was on the level of London, do not put words into my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City