Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 04:52 PM

71 posts, read 133,880 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite?

Big factors to consider

Weather
Things to do
Crime
Jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Depending on your idea of fun, it's going to be a toss up between Tampa and Louisville. Personally, I'd go with Louisville hands down.

Louisville is the most hip and funky of three. If your tastes are more geared toward music, coffee shops, horse racing, bookstores, antiques, and dive bars, than Louisville is for you. It's the safest of the three. I also has the best food of the three. On the downside, it's also the least diverse of the three, and the people aren't exactly the most physically attractive.

Tampa has more to do in regards to the beach. Clearly, the mild winters are a draw too. It's also a stone's through from the amusement parks of Orlando. Tampa is the most sprawling of the three and the least walkable, if that matters to you. Tampa has the lowest obesity rate of the three.

Cincinnati, in my opinion, has the best architecture and the most impressive skyline of the three. Unfortunately it also seems to be the most run-down, and is struggling with crime. I also felt that there was not all that much to do there; though, that said, Cincinnati is changing rapidly. I'm predicting that in 10 years Cincinnati is going to be red hot and will undergo rapid gentrification.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:11 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Depending on your idea of fun, it's going to be a toss up between Tampa and Louisville. Personally, I'd go with Louisville hands down.

Louisville is the most hip and funky of three. If your tastes are more geared toward music, coffee shops, horse racing, bookstores, antiques, and dive bars, than Louisville is for you. It's the safest of the three. I also has the best food of the three. On the downside, it's also the least diverse of the three, and the people aren't exactly the most physically attractive.

Tampa has more to do in regards to the beach. Clearly, the mild winters are a draw too. It's also a stone's through from the amusement parks of Orlando. Tampa is the most sprawling of the three and the least walkable, if that matters to you. Tampa has the lowest obesity rate of the three.

Cincinnati, in my opinion, has the best architecture and the most impressive skyline of the three. Unfortunately it also seems to be the most run-down, and is struggling with crime. I also felt that there was not all that much to do there; though, that said, Cincinnati is changing rapidly. I'm predicting that in 10 years Cincinnati is going to be red hot and will undergo rapid gentrification.
I mostly agree. I'd add that Louisville and Cincinnati have outstanding park systems, both urban parks and more primitive parks that offer hiking, kayaking, and camping. Cincinnati has very high property taxes, which is why most growth in that metro area is on the less taxed KY side. Tampa has great beaches and is in a state with no income tax.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 PM

416 posts, read 701,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

Out of the three, Cincinnati is changing the most from downtown throughout the basin up towards the neighborhoods in the hills. Just compare the amount of construction in downtown Cincinnati to downtown Louisville. From the park system to the cultural amenities, I think Cincinnati has the other two beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I mostly agree. I'd add that Louisville and Cincinnati have outstanding park systems, both urban parks and more primitive parks that offer hiking, kayaking, and camping. Cincinnati has very high property taxes, which is why most growth in that metro area is on the less taxed KY side. Tampa has great beaches and is in a state with no income tax.
What? Honestly, I wish Cincinnati was built somewhere else along the river away from Kentucky. Kentucky has IMO held Cincinnati back (mostly because of how certain infrastructure is built with Kentucky in mind). From its backwards politics to not being able to figure out anything on a state level. The unemployment rate is high, the poverty rate is horrible, and the state can't figure out basic infrastructure issues. Meanwhile, on the Ohio side of the river, I-75 is being reconstructed for the bridge (Kentucky still debates how the bridge should be funded), and companies are leaving Kentucky for Ohio (fortune 500 Omnicare). The fastest growing areas in Metro Cincinnati are Warren and Butler Counties north of the city.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:33 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
I've only visited Cincinnati twice for 3-4 days and Louisville once for a day.

That said, I would imagine Tampa would win based on that criteria. It wins big in weather, and the other categories don't offer a significant enough difference to warrant any change in that ranking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City