Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times

Advertisements

How do these metro areas compare.

I have heard Roanoke and Blacksburg are redneck/hick? Is this true?
Why does Western NC get hype, but not so much in VA if they are both close to mountains?
What am I missing here about these cities.
I have heard NC is more liberal as a state than VA is outside NoVa.

I am pretty unfamiliar with this area of the country, fill me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
I am pretty unfamiliar with this area of the country, fill me in.
For starters, you might want to change your title.

Original
How does Western VA (Roanoke/Blacksburg) compare to Western NC (Asheville, Charlotte)

Correction
How does Western VA (Roanoke/Blacksburg) compare to Western NC (Asheville, Boone)

Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
For starters, you might want to change your title.

Original
How does Western VA (Roanoke/Blacksburg) compare to Western NC (Asheville, Charlotte)

Correction
How does Western VA (Roanoke/Blacksburg) compare to Western NC (Asheville, Boone)
I agree. Although Charlotte is considered western NC, it appears as though you want to compare the Appalachian regions in both states and Charlotte is not Appalachian.

I'd say that western NC gets more hype mainly because of Asheville. It's pretty much an anomaly for a Southern Appalachian town, being all hippy and liberal and what-not.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Fine, put Boone...include Charlotte too if you want or Gastonia, whatever. Just the general regions, no need to be picky.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I'd say that western NC gets more hype mainly because of Asheville. It's pretty much an anomaly for a Southern Appalachian town, being all hippy and liberal and what-not.
Are Roanoke and Blacksburg not like this I am guessing? If so, what are they similar to? I've been to Charlotte/Asheville/Raleigh/Richmond/DC/Greeneville/Spartanburg/Chattanooga/Knoxvile. Have not been to those Western VA area cities though, nor Boone. Boone seems very small compared to a Roanoke/Blacksburg. I know Charlotte is bigger but still... those are the 2 biggest cities in each of the respective states, FWIW.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Are Roanoke and Blacksburg not like this I am guessing? If so, what are they similar to? I've been to Charlotte/Asheville/Raleigh/Richmond/DC/Greeneville/Spartanburg/Chattanooga/Knoxvile. Have not been to those Western VA area cities though, nor Boone. Boone seems very small compared to a Roanoke/Blacksburg. I know Charlotte is bigger but still... those are the 2 biggest cities in each of the respective states, FWIW.
Although I've not been, I'd say that Blacksburg and Boone are similar in that both are mid-tier college towns as opposed to the upper-crust college towns of Charlottesville and Chapel Hill. Neither Roanoke or Blacksburg are tourist destinations like Asheville.

And what cities are you referring to when you say "those are the 2 biggest cities in each of the respective states"? I'm guessing you mean within the regions of the states under discussion.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Although I've not been, I'd say that Blacksburg and Boone are similar in that both are mid-tier college towns as opposed to the upper-crust college towns of Charlottesville and Chapel Hill. Neither Roanoke or Blacksburg are tourist destinations like Asheville.

And what cities are you referring to when you say "those are the 2 biggest cities in each of the respective states"? I'm guessing you mean within the regions of the states under discussion.
2 biggest in Western VA and 2 biggest in Western NC, are Roanoke/Blacksburg and Asheville/Charlotte respectively.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 PM

96 posts, read 147,118 times
I can't comment much because out of the five cities mentioned so far, I've only been to Charlotte, but Asheville/Boone fits much better with Roanoke/Blacksburg. Charlotte is a major metropolis that isn't at all mountainy. Great city -- I think throwing it in there with Asheville would probably make Western NC win each and every time, but it is kind of its own region in the state. NC is roughly divided into the Mountainy part, Charlotte, the Triad (Winston-Salem and Greensboro), the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham), Eastern NC (anywhere east of 95). I think theres a name for the south-central part of the state too but it's not coming up offhand.

Anyways, your cities picked aren't a good comparison because Charlotte isn't very similar to any of those cities and including it in any region probably would put that region ahead (especially when you contrast a cool, mountain city like Asheville with a metropolis like Charlotte -- the best of both worlds).

Old 11-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
I can't comment much because out of the five cities mentioned so far, I've only been to Charlotte, but Asheville/Boone fits much better with Roanoke/Blacksburg. Charlotte is a major metropolis that isn't at all mountainy. Great city -- I think throwing it in there with Asheville would probably make Western NC win each and every time, but it is kind of its own region in the state. NC is roughly divided into the Mountainy part, Charlotte, the Triad (Winston-Salem and Greensboro), the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham), Eastern NC (anywhere east of 95). I think theres a name for the south-central part of the state too but it's not coming up offhand.

Anyways, your cities picked aren't a good comparison because Charlotte isn't very similar to any of those cities and including it in any region probably would put that region ahead (especially when you contrast a cool, mountain city like Asheville with a metropolis like Charlotte -- the best of both worlds).
You are focusing too much on the size of the cities instead of the overall vibe. Asheville is more liberal than Charlotte for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City