Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 AM

14 posts, read 28,374 times

Advertisements

Do you think A&E's controversial award winning documentary series is more beneficial or detrimental to a city’s image? The city of Dallas, Memphis and Detroit discontinued filming because of the negative press and stigma associated with the show, but other agencies consider the series an effective recruitment tool for the city's homicide unit.

The series features detective units in the following cities:

Detroit MI
Louisville KY
Birmingham AL
Memphis TN
Minneapolis MN
Philadelphia PA
Charlotte NC (future episodes)
Miami FL
Phoenix AZ
San Antonio TX
Tuscon AZ
Kansas City (KS/MO)
Minneapolis MN
Las Vegas NV
Harris County TX

Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Al_Sharpton View Post
Do you think A&E's controversial award winning documentary series is more beneficial or detrimental to a city’s image? The city of Dallas, Memphis and Detroit discontinued filming because of the negative press and stigma associated with the show, but other agencies consider the series an effective recruitment tool for the city's homicide unit.

The series features detective units in the following cities:

Detroit MI
Louisville KY
Birmingham AL
Memphis TN
Minneapolis MN
Philadelphia PA
Charlotte NC (future episodes)
Miami FL
Phoenix AZ
San Antonio TX
Tuscon AZ
Kansas City (KS/MO)
Minneapolis MN
Las Vegas NV
Harris County TX
The majority of those people that commited those crimes and murders are not cold blooded killers. They made a really dumb descision and if anything this should be a wake up call to minority communities that better parenting and love could prevent a lot of these senseless crimes.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
I get the idea that the show is playing into stereotypes.

Whenever I see it in Dallas, its always some immigrant that was the victim of an awful crime. I saw one where a Honduran immigrant was gunned down in an alley in Oak Cliff for $35. There was another where a Filipino immigrant was beheaded in his own home by an intruder.

Then the tough cops show up and save the day.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I get the idea that the show is playing into stereotypes.

Whenever I see it in Dallas, its always some immigrant that was the victim of an awful crime. I saw one where a Honduran immigrant was gunned down in an alley in Oak Cliff for $35. There was another where a Filipino immigrant was beheaded in his own home by an intruder.

Then the tough cops show up and save the day.
So true.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
1st 48 always seems to be in Miami, and when there in Miami, they always seem to be in Little Haiti.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:21 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Miami is like the reality tv show capital. I'm so used to seeing tv shows based in Miami nowadays, it's nothing new.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM

937 posts, read 927,025 times
I don't think the show has more of a negative impact than "Real Housewives," at least culturally. Crimes will be committed in cities where economics times of hard. This is nothing new. I don't think it's a terrible thing, but I could see why people feel it's stigmatizing to their city.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
1st 48 always seems to be in Miami, and when there in Miami, they always seem to be in Little Haiti.
Actually it's more in the Liberty City section in a projects called "Pork & Beans" and mostly Overtown. Sadly most of the victims in Miami tend to be black and young. More than half of the murders in the city of Miami were young black men under the age of 30.

As for the image it portrays of course it's negative considering that Miami is a tourist city but Miami has had that reputation since "Scarface" & "Miami Vice" in the early 80s.
Thankfully Miami is no longer the murder capital it once was with about 45 so far this year.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Cleveland is also on there a lot, and on crime 360.

Doesn't change much because most people already know about Cleveland with all the negative press about being 1st poorest and 7th most dangerous in the nation.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Cleveland is also on there a lot, and on crime 360.

Doesn't change much because most people already know about Cleveland with all the negative press about being 1st poorest and 7th most dangerous in the nation.
This Bostonian doesn't look at Cleveland that way. One of the world's best orchestras, one of the world's top hospitals, a top 5 sports town, and the R&R HOF.

That's what I think of Cleveland.

Now Cinncinnati, that's another thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.