Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city could use a pro sports (big 4) championship most?
Houston (Texans, Astros, Rockets) 12 13.48%
Atlanta (Falcons, Braves, Hawks) 10 11.24%
Phoenix (DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Coyotes) 3 3.37%
New Orleans (Aints, Hornets) 4 4.49%
Charlotte/Raleigh (Panthers, Bobcats) 3 3.37%
Detroit (Redwings, Pistons, Tigers, Lions) 4 4.49%
Baltimore (Ravens, Orioles) 1 1.12%
Cleveland (Indians, Cavaliers, Browns) 38 42.70%
Seattle (Seahawks, Mariners) 4 4.49%
Milwaukee (Brewers, Bucks) 2 2.25%
Kansas City (Royals, Chiefs 1 1.12%
Cincinnati (Reds, Bengals) 4 4.49%
Washington, DC (Capitals, Redskins, Nationals, Wizards) 5 5.62%
San Diego (Chargers, Padres) 3 3.37%
Nashville (Titans, Predators) 3 3.37%
Tampa (Buccaneers, Lightning, Rays) 0 0%
Miami (Heat, Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers) 2 2.25%
Buffalo (Sabres, Bills) 3 3.37%
Oakland (Raiders, Warriors, Athletics) 1 1.12%
Other: (WHO?) 9 10.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times

Advertisements

I saw that someone posted a thread asking the question if sports in a city is a good measure of the city itself. Well, I have been asking that same question for years now because in recent years, I've started to notice and feel that often the success of sports in a city seem to also go along with the spirit of the city. Not to assume that EVERYONE cares about sports (because I do realize that MANY MANY people could care less), and not to assume that it also means that most people in one town are fans of that town's sports teams, but I have just found that among the sports fans in a town, when their teams are doing bad their hometown pride slides... Also, things tend to happen slower, probably because decisions are made slower and are split because the people lose... something... Can't quite put my finger on what it is they lose for their town (not sure if it's belief in their town, or hope, or whatever), but it just seems like people just aren't as enthusiastic about progress in their town. It's simply my observation and I don't expect many people to agree simply because they haven't seen things through my eyes and the people I've met.
One thing to support my observation is this: Success in sports is free positive branding and advertisement of a city... And the lack of success of sports in a town displays to outsiders that have never been to the city a subliminally negative advertisement of the city.

Ultimately, it is NOT sports that will make the town. That's obvious. San Diego isn't a great city because of the success of the Chargers or Padres (OBVIOUSLY). But at the same time, there are people that when their teams are doing horrible, they naturally feel a little worse, causing them to carry that poor spirit around town and spread that negative energy. Then in a city like New Orleans, with the success of LSU, Aints and Hornets, they walk around happy and positive and that energy spreads around town, even in a place that has suffered terribly in recent years, but that positive energy goes a LONG way!!! Makes people WANT to do better, WANT to spend money, WANT to progress... Successful sports is definitely a boost to the town's spirit and economy.

So, my question is, which city could use more success in sports most? Not so much based solely on the lack of success in sports, or just hardships in the city, but the combination of both... Or maybe your choice is a city that hasn't seen as much hardship as other cities, but you find your own reason why that city could use some Championship hope...

****City must have 2 or more of the Big 4 Pro Sports. So cities like Memphis, Portland and San Antonio with only 1 team do not count****
****A recent Championship does not automatically disqualify a city if you can support why that city needs "another" championship****
****I am not counting teams that are in the same state, but are not part of the same metro area/nor wear the city's name in their namesake: For example: Orlando Magic does not count for Tampa. Carolina Hurricanes does not count for Charlotte. Green Bay's success doesn't count for Milwaukee. But Los Angeles Angels does count for Los Angeles even though they do not play in LA.

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 12-04-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
CLEVELAND.....and Buffalo.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
It really angered me to see "Aints" as the only nickname in the poll.
Detroit Lions (just not tonight)
Houston Texans and Astros
New Orleans Hornets need one to make the Hornets ours, we don't really feel connected, especially with a recycled team.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Cleveland, end of thread.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Cleveland. It's sports heart teams are so well known they go by nicknames:

The Drive
The Fumble
The Shot
The Decision

Then you have the Game 7 loss to the Marlins, painful. Close second is San Diego. Zero sports titles.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
I would vote New Orleans but won't with the way the poll reads.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I would vote New Orleans but won't with the way the poll reads.
Why not?
Who'd you vote for?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Cleveland and Buffalo instantly came up for me. Houston, New Orleans, DC, Detroit celebrated champions of some kind within the last twenty years. Cleveland hasn't in 60 years and we know what Bills fans went through in Buffalo.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM

46 posts, read 76,819 times
Cleveland, hands down. Three teams (four for a brief period in the late 1970's), but no championship since 1964.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times
Interesting to see the 4th largest city in the nation jump out to an early need as the city that NEEDS a championship most...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City