Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times

Advertisements

I will start with my home state of NJ!

"Jersey's special. We've got a sweet spot between New York and Philly. Sometimes places have too much going on. Jersey's got it just right. And judging by our property taxes, our secret is out - Queen Latifah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
"This following program is dedicated to the city and people of San Francisco, who may not know it, but they are beautiful, and so is their city. This is a very personal song, so if the viewer cannot understand it, particularly those of you who are European residents, save up all your bread, and fly Trans-World Airways to San Francisco, USA; then maybe, you will understand this song. It will be worth it. If not for the sake of this song, for the sake of your own peace of mind." -Eric Burdon

" One day if I go to heaven…I’ll look around and say “It ain’t bad, but it ain’t San Francisco." -Herb Caen

"The ultimate (travel destination) for me would be one perfect day in San Francisco. It’s a perfect 72 degrees, clear, the sky bright blue. I’d start down at Fisherman’s Wharf with someone I really like and end with a romantic dinner and a ride over the Golden Gate Bridge. There’s no city like it anywhere. And, if I could be there with the girl of my dreams, that would be the ultimate." - Larry King

"Your city is remarkable not only for its beauty. It is also, of all the cities in the United States, the one whose name, the world over, conjures up the most visions and more than any other city incites one to dream." -Georges Pompidou

"San Francisco is one of the great cultural plateaus in the world….one of the really urbane communities in the United States…one of the truly cosmopolitan places – and for many, many years, it has always had a warm welcome for human beings from all over the world." -Duke Ellington

"Cities are like gentlemen, they are born, not made. You are either a city, or you are not, size has nothing to do with it. I bet San Francisco was a city from the very first time it had a dozen settlers. New York is “Yokel”, but San Francisco is “City at Heart”. " -Will Rogers

"To this day the city of San Francisco remains to the Chinese the Great City of the Golden Mountains." -Kai Fu Shah

Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
"Baby this town rips the bones from your back
Its a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while were young"

Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Good info, thanks for the time you put in 415

My favorite one ever read about SF that stuck in my head was this one by John Lennon.

"We're crazy about this city. First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us... Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." - John Lennon

Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
"baby this town rips the bones from your back
its a death trap, it's a suicide rap
we gotta get out while were young"
Bruce!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Bruce!
Common ground. I'll mark the time and date.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
"Don't Mess With Texas"

Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
"In America, there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Mark Twain

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
"Don't Mess With Texas"
One Riot, One Ranger.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
This one is credited to Mark Twain but apparently he didn't actually say or write it...

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

Here's one for Oakland:

"The trouble with Oakland is that when you get there, it's there". -Herb Caen

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City