U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jewish population
NY 69 73.40%
SF 4 4.26%
DC 8 8.51%
Boston 10 10.64%
Atlanta 9 9.57%
Houston 5 5.32%
Dallas 3 3.19%
Miami 12 12.77%
Chicago 12 12.77%
Seattle 2 2.13%
Minneapolis 3 3.19%
Deroit 4 4.26%
Denver 5 5.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 PM

22,402 posts, read 33,847,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Philly and Chicago have similar Jewish populations, but Philly is half the size. So that could be part of it.

LA's white population is heavily Jewish, Armenian, and Persian (some of whom are also Jewish). This differs from NYC and other major cities where a lot of whites are Italian, Irish, or Polish. To me, LA feels the most Jewish based on that.

The ratio may be the difference between Chicago and Philly

On LA yes very much so (but to me more similar to Miami and a tad above Philly in this regard) but have trouble with any place having a stronger feel than NYC based on my experiecnes (but never lived in LA). Also I think the Persian (Mostly Iranian I believe in LA) is rather small as Jews, more Muslims and Christians by far in Westwood or the OC, most Jews in LA are Isreali or caucasian (more russians these days). No reall hasidic (sp?) feel outside of of NYC tome (they exist but much smaller). Also Philly seems to have synogauges everywhere, seemingly more so than even NYC for at least frequency

But all seem more enclaves where they are very prominent and other areas with very few based on my experiences. Growing up in Philly in an area with many I was later surprised there was so few in the US. My graduating class from HS was probably 40% Jewish, I thought it was somewhat normal.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,528,649 times
You are right about the Persian population. Of the 700Kish Jews in LA County, about 10% are Persian, maybe 5% other Sephardic. Then about 10% Orthodox. The other 75% are non Orthodox Ashkenazic. There are a lot of Russians, but the ones under thirty tend to have been born and raised or raised for most of their lives in the US.

Westwood is very Jewish, both Persian Jewish and Ashkenazic Jewish. Same with Beverly Hills and Encino. Orange County's Persian community is almost all Muslim.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,041,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The "Daily Beast" link listed cities by percentage, not sheer numbers. I find that more interesting...
Except that it didn't list cities by percentage, nor did it list by total number. I'm not sure what their criteria were. Some formula involving overall percentage, number of synagogues, and number of kosher restaurants I guess.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,989,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
LA is the second largest Jewish community in the US and Philly 4th. You can't really get around that.
I am Jewish so am inquiring about the amenities offered in each of these cities, once again I get around that just fine as I dont go to Philly and have already mentioned that LA was accidentally left off the poll.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 PM

8,442 posts, read 6,982,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
For DC I believe in MSAs not CSAs, I cant come to terms viewing Baltimore as the DC area.

I accidentally forgot LA on the poll and please bear no mention of Philly in my thread. I do not care for that place so I do not wish any info on it. Thanks in advance all.
I agree.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,070 posts, read 45,176,509 times
American Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The top 10 counties by percentage jewish are in the NY metro area or south florida. #1 is rockland county (nyc metro/ hudson valley), #2 is new york county (manhattan). #3 and #4 are two very small independent cities in Virginia so I didn't count those.

Baltimore (the city) is 8.7% Jewish, more than DC

Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 AM

8,892 posts, read 13,296,912 times
I don't know why they combined Baltimore and Washington, D.C. on that list, it is really two areas that border on each other vs a single metro area like Miami-Fort Lauderdale or Dallas-Fort Worth. The DC suburbs are heavily Jewish but Baltimore not so much. Also metropolian stats for anything is better than looking at the central city limits alone, always more accurate whether its religious groups, crime, any kind of data.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:53 AM

8,892 posts, read 13,296,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
American Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The top 10 counties by percentage jewish are in the NY metro area or south florida. #1 is rockland county (nyc metro/ hudson valley), #2 is new york county (manhattan). #3 and #4 are two very small independent cities in Virginia so I didn't count those.

Baltimore (the city) is 8.7% Jewish, more than DC
I hardly see that many white people in general, let alone Jews specifically who live inside Baltimore City so this surprises me. Maybe it has to do with the yuppies moving into downtown? I know one or two suburbs have a sizable Jewish population but my part of Baltimore County does not and around here everyone here says Merry Christmas since you really don't see any Hanukah folks around. When I go to a more Jewish area I tend to say Happy Holidays.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 AM

8,442 posts, read 6,982,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I hardly see that many white people in general, let alone Jews specifically who live inside Baltimore City so this surprises me. Maybe it has to do with the yuppies moving into downtown? I know one or two suburbs have a sizable Jewish population but my part of Baltimore County does not and around here everyone here says Merry Christmas since you really don't see any Hanukah folks around. When I go to a more Jewish area I tend to say Happy Holidays.
I have yet to see you say something positive about Baltimore. Upper park heights, reisterstown (the one in the city) pikesville, owings mills, reisterstown ( in the county) is heavily Jewish. Also, Jewish holidays are observed in county schools.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 AM

63,644 posts, read 89,094,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Except that it didn't list cities by percentage, nor did it list by total number. I'm not sure what their criteria were. Some formula involving overall percentage, number of synagogues, and number of kosher restaurants I guess.
Yeah, it is odd. I was surprised to not see my area due to the pretty high concentration on the East side and Eastern suburbs, as well as having a high percentage of students at Syracuse University and SUNY-Oswego.

Jewish Federation of CNY

Around Town - SyraJews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or