U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jewish population
NY 69 73.40%
SF 4 4.26%
DC 8 8.51%
Boston 10 10.64%
Atlanta 9 9.57%
Houston 5 5.32%
Dallas 3 3.19%
Miami 12 12.77%
Chicago 12 12.77%
Seattle 2 2.13%
Minneapolis 3 3.19%
Deroit 4 4.26%
Denver 5 5.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 AM

8,062 posts, read 12,772,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's kinda funny that the South has had such a reputation for anti-semitism. Jefferson Davis appointed a Jew to his cabinet during the Civil War.

Judah P. Benjamin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, that matter is bit more nuanced than that. In the South, historically the only city in the South with a significant Jewish population was Atlanta (Miami's Jewish population is a more recent trend due to retires relocating from the Northeast. It doesn't take anything away from Miami of course). There are various factors to this, but mainly it centers around Atlanta always being an industrial city and the general area around Atlanta in North Georgia being sparsely populated after the Cherokee were removed in 1837 up until a few years before the Civil War. This lead to the city being populated mainly by transplants even since it's early years and the city being mainly focused on business from the get go. Also, unlike most of major cities of the around the South, there wasn't a strong Antebellum population and that contributed to different social mores being developed.

After the war, Northern industrialists and businessmen came to Atlanta to take advantage of a city highly connected by rail but with no competition for their businesses. Among them were a large number of Jews whom came as merchants to open/run factories. In fact, most of Atlanta's early Jewish population was middle to upper class, unlike the Northeast which had a large working class Jewish population as well. And going back to the business first mindset of the city, and the fact that most Jews in Atlanta were economically well off, the Jewish community thrived.

Unfortunately, the lynching of Leo Frank was a serious blow to Atlanta Jewish community (and likely the source outside the region for people viewing the South as being antisemitic). Fortunately, the community did not completely leave and because they stayed and to form bonds with the middle class and affluent Black community and were a big reason why Atlanta emerged as the HQ for the Civil Rights movement. Two events in particular standout.

Rabbi Jacob Rothschild of the Temple(the largest synagogue in Atlanta the time) was a major ally of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr going back to the 50s and was lead the way in desegregation in the city (along with Jewish owned retailers and businessmen) and organizing the movement after the Temple had been bombed by the Klan (one of the few Klan incidents in the city during the movement due in large part to Rabbi Rothschild's leading the city's White power structure to condemn the act and take steps to avoid another incident like it). The other was the first free elections were held after the Voting Rights act was enacted, and a Black-Jewish coalition voted in Atlanta's first minority mayor Sam Massell (whom was mentioned a few pages back).

This Black-Jewish coalition stands not in large contrast to Black-Jewish relations in the Northeast, but was also the driving force in creating a welcoming climate for all people to relocate here in the post-Civil Rights era which has lead to Atlanta having a Jewish population equal to that in size of other cities (Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco) conventional wisdom would say should have a larger community by default.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM

14,743 posts, read 29,976,490 times
Correct, you forgot Los Angeles from the poll. After NY, LA is clearly second.

All major US cities have a Jewish population. The one choice I found amusing was Houston, only because its most well-know east-west thoroughfare is Westheimer Boulevard. Not after our beloved Dr. Ruth*, but some landowner/farmer/developer in Houston with that last name. While clearly a Germanic name, I don't know which religion he subscribed to.

* "thank you for calling, bye-bye."

Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM

22,402 posts, read 33,807,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Correct, you forgot Los Angeles from the poll. After NY, LA is clearly second.

All major US cities have a Jewish population. The one choice I found amusing was Houston, only because its most well-know east-west thoroughfare is Westheimer Boulevard. Not after our beloved Dr. Ruth*, but some landowner/farmer/developer in Houston with that last name. While clearly a Germanic name, I don't know which religion he subscribed to.

Believe LA is second and Philly third actually; maybe Chicago or Miami not sure but would suspect they would be the top 5

Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,400,986 times
Quote:
The one choice I found amusing was Houston, only because its most well-know east-west thoroughfare is Westheimer Boulevard. Not after our beloved Dr. Ruth*, but some landowner/farmer/developer in Houston with that last name. While clearly a Germanic name, I don't know which religion he subscribed to.

Westheimer Road and Westheimer Parkway are named after Michael Louis Westheimer, a prosperous German Jewish immigrant and flour salesman who had settled in Houston in 1859. He purchased a 640-acre (2.6 km2) farm west of Houston's city limits at the time, where Lamar High School and St. John's School are currently located. Having built a school on his land for his 16 children, other local children were invited to join the school, as a public school system was not established in the area. The road that led to his property was known as "the road to Westheimer's place" and winded through what would later be Neartown/ Montrose and River Oaks.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,390,186 times
Believe me or not but cincinnati has tons of jews in certain neighborhoods.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM

14,743 posts, read 29,976,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Westheimer Road and Westheimer Parkway are named after Michael Louis Westheimer, a prosperous German Jewish immigrant and flour salesman who had settled in Houston in 1859. He purchased a 640-acre (2.6 km2) farm west of Houston's city limits at the time, where Lamar High School and St. John's School are currently located. Having built a school on his land for his 16 children, other local children were invited to join the school, as a public school system was not established in the area. The road that led to his property was known as "the road to Westheimer's place" and winded through what would later be Neartown/ Montrose and River Oaks.
Thank you. I read something like this, but forgot the specifics. Still, when one who is not from HOU sees the Westheimer off-ramp from 610, near the Galleria and the Transco Tower, a chuckle comes to one's face.

Sixteen children...and he wasn't Catholic? LOL.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-16-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,400,986 times
Quote:
Thank you. I read something like this, but forgot the specifics. Still, when one who is not from HOU sees the Westheimer off-ramp from 610, near the Galleria and the Transco Tower, a chuckle comes to one's face.

Sixteen children...and he wasn't Catholic? LOL.
I guess living out in the Boonies at the time, with no TV you had to occupy yourself doing something

As for the street. Many Houstonians think the Street is the westward version of some Heimer Street. Many look for the EastHeimer but can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I read an article about the Jewish Population in Texas, how they were never big in population but had a deep impact. Houston and DFW each only has about 50K Jews. Like Westheimer, a lot of the Jewish population here were German. Texas Anglo population came in different waves, the first was americans of Irish Decent, then we had a ton of Germans and Czech people.

-A lot of our banks were started by Jews (yes they controlled the money here too )
-the Houston Cotton Exchange was started by a Jewish family,
-and some founding members of the Houston Ship Channel were Jewish.
-Neiman Marcus is Jewish and from Texas.
- The first department store in Houston was started by Ed Klein- a Jewish man
- The Jewish Herald was Houston's first Newspaper
-Joe Weingarten and Simon Sakowitz were huge names in Houston as these two were huge merchants
-By 1920, 7% of the city was Jewish. At the time River Oaks was a White only neighborhood so wealthy Jews formed their own Riverside community just south of 3rd ward called Riverside Terrace. It was a very vibrant community filled with excellent shops and butchers.

The growth of the Jewish Community in Houston slowed drastically with the rise of the KKK, and has never recovered.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,400,844 times
Well the OP didnt say where are the most Jews or where is the highest Jews by percentage, they asked about neighborhoods, population, prayer halls.

I'd guess:
NYC
South Florida
San Diego
Baltimore
Boston

Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Believe LA is second and Philly third actually; maybe Chicago or Miami not sure but would suspect they would be the top 5
Having been to and know people in all of these places I 100% assure you after NYC is South Florida. Between Palm Beach County as a whole and all of North Miami Beach there's no question about it.

I'll tell you this too if you're ever in Miami whether you're Jewish or not be sure to take 15-20 minutes to stop in the Holocaust Memorial right on South Beach. It's very powerful inside there. Probably the two most powerful manmade experiences I've had of that sort was the first time I entered a real Gothic Basilica in Italy and then the memorial on South Beach - they both just completely took my breath away.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Wikipedia has a small entry for the memorial:

Holocaust Memorial of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or