Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
What are your favorite and least favorite accents in the USA? If you could change your accent, what would you change it to?
My favorite accent is probably the texas southern drawl. It's so old school and traditional. I love it. My least favorite is that horrid Baahston accent. It's really off. I don't know who told them it was attractive.

If I could change my accent to anything it would be to a New York brooklyn accent. It's sounds so hardcore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Best: Boston.

Worst: Joisey.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
The worst would be Long Island, especially from a female. The best is Southern.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Best: Boston.

Worst: Joisey.
No one in Jersey says Jersey like that. No one in NJ has ever said Jersey like that.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Best > The New York accent and the New Orlean's "Yat" dialect as both cities "Tawk" similar.
Worst > New Jersey

Old 12-12-2011, 10:39 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
I really like the way the ladies in Georgia speak.

Also, sistas from Louisiana make me a bit weak in the knees, but I'd never date one. Those chicks are nuts!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I really like the way the ladies in Georgia speak.

Also, sistas from Louisiana make me a bit weak in the knees, but I'd never date one. Those chicks are nuts!
All women are nuts. Ours are just sexier.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,316,695 times
Minnesota hands down! I met a girl from there when I was in Saudi and followed her around for a week just to hear her talk (she thought that I was weird...so did I was) It is the only accent that I could not mimic that is why it intrigues me so much

Old 12-12-2011, 11:08 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Best > The New York accent and the New Orlean's "Yat" dialect as both cities "Tawk" similar.
Worst > New Jersey
How can you have New York accent as the best and New Jersey accent as the worst?

There really is no "New Jersey" accent. People in North Jersey that have accents are influenced from NYC. People from South Jersey that have accents are influenced from Philly.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Worst > New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How can you have New York accent as the best and New Jersey accent as the worst?

There really is no "New Jersey" accent. People in North Jersey that have accents are influenced from NYC. People from South Jersey that have accents are influenced from Philly.
2e1m5a is exactly right.

north jersey accents are a subset of the greater nyc area accent.
south jersey accents are a subset of the greater philly area accent.

the closer you are to nyc, the more similar the accent gets.
the closer you are to philly, the more similar the accent gets.
in parts of central jersey that have influences from both cities (e.g. mercer county), you can hear elements of both.
and in more remote parts of the state such as deep south jersey around the pine barrens, there's a completely distinct/country-sounding accent that outsiders would never associate with nj in a million years.

i should also note that MANY people who grew up in nj/nyc/philly do not have any sort of local/regional accent. i grew up in queens and north jersey, and yet i speak with a neutral/standard accent (and i'm hardly alone). people are always shocked when i tell them where i'm originally from, yet if you were to hear me speak with some (not all) of my childhood friends, you'd see that neutral accents aren't that unusual in the greater nyc/nj area, especially in wealthier communities but sometimes even among those of us who grew up with blue-collar folks.

i went to high school in urban north jersey, about 1 mile away from manhattan. tons of kids in my high school - mainly the ones who grew up in the inner city near the school - had thick, blue collar north jersey accents. plenty of us did not, with the common denominator often being that we grew up in suburban towns.

either way, it would be interesting to see if the people who claim to love the nyc accent but hate the nj accent could actually distinguish between the two. for instance, i wonder if they could identify my blue collar high school classmates as being from north jersey and my childhood friends as queens or brooklyn natives. go ahead, i bet 99% of you couldn't distinguish the two if your lives depended on it.

ya gotta hand it to the jersey haters, though. they think they know it all about the garden state, and yet they don't know jack.

and to echo openheads' point above:
i have literally never heard a single person in new jersey pronounce the state name as "joisey". NO ONE. not even in my inner city high school with more than a few kids who had super thick accents.

anyone who has lived in nj knows that a blue collar new jerseyan with a thick local accent pronounces it something like "jurr-zee", with the tongue pushed back toward the throat. hard to describe in words, but instantly recognizable to those of us who grew up hearing it.

here's a short video in which bill parcells and other north jersey natives (all of whom have distinct north jersey accents) speak about what it means to be from the state. pay close attention to how they say "jersey" - THAT'S how the locals pronounce it, not "joisey":

Bill Parcells: What's a Jersey Guy - YouTube

Last edited by pbergen; 12-12-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City