Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Interestingly, from the streetviews the only one that compares as a "wall" is Baltimore.
What do you mean by wall?

Boston and Philly most definately have walls so to speak, if that is what you are getting at they both absolutely qualify

Last edited by kidphilly; 12-17-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
Maybe in your country, not in mine. I can't ever recall seeing steel gates on doors or windows or a house in my city. And I've lived here more than 20 years. The building I live in has ground floor apartments with sliding windows that open directly to the outside, and none of them have steel bars or anything similar.

Here are four of the most high-crime, low income neighbourhoods in Toronto. They have thousands of houses, duplexes, rowhomes, and ground floor apartments that open up directly to the sidewalk. Look around on Google Street View and try to find a single one with steel bars on the window. I've been to all these neighbourhoods many times, and have never seen steel bars or a gated entryway on any of the homes. And if you think I'm cherry-picking, look around any neighbourhood anywhere in Toronto (probably anywhere in Canada, though I'm not familiar with every city in Canada, some might have steel bars on house windows) and try to find windows with steel bars or gated entryways.

Edit: I was in Seattle 6 or 7 years ago and don't remember seeing steel bars on house windows. Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time walking down residential streets.
That sounds cute, but not what these guys say....

Security bars are a proven deterrent and have long been used by both Toronto homeowners and businesses to protect against forced entry.

Apex Toronto Window Security Bars

There are plenty more.

Last edited by slo1318; 12-17-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 AM

515 posts, read 986,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
Maybe in your country, not in mine. I can't ever recall seeing steel gates on doors or windows or a house in my city. And I've lived here more than 20 years. The building I live in has ground floor apartments with sliding windows that open directly to the outside, and none of them have steel bars or anything similar.
Good for Canada. This condition is common in most major American cities. Even here in Manhattan ground level security bars are ubiquitous, particularly on older buildings... and even in relatively upscale neighborhoods.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Delancey St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Google Maps

1700 block of Spruce St in Philly with bars on the windows, basically the center of Rittenhouse Sq. This is common in many urban areas

Old 12-17-2011, 09:14 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Delancey St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Google Maps

1700 block of Spruce St in Philly with bars on the windows, basically the center of Rittenhouse Sq. This is common in many urban areas
It's because in areas like that often the entrance to the lower level is below grade, so the put gates to keep people from falling, well in Back Bay and Parts of New York anyway.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It's because in areas like that often the entrance to the lower level is below grade, so the put gates to keep people from falling, well in Back Bay and Parts of New York anyway.

Well the first floor windows are with bars, I know the girl that used to live in that apt and they were most definately bars.

The lower level on this particular street is mostly basement and heaters etc.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Is not a wall somehow, maybe because the trees block the view, these blocks just go on and on with same continuous development for miles.

I am confused, maybe the hill aspect creates a different perspective, not sure but NYC and Philly would have far more of this development than would SF in this regard.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
These recent comparisons between San Francisco and New York City are getting ridiculous. I feel like San Francisco is the new "Chicago" in this instance.

Yes, both are dense cities, but so are Baltimore, DC, Boston, Philly, and Chicago.

I can tell you with great confidence that the only real city that can compare to NYC is .... well, NYC. NOT SF. Sorry.

A little boulevard of two story row-homes that you show from Google Maps is not proof that SF feels like Manhattan.... People will easily show up other streets from other cities that look the same way (as people already are.... theory disproven).

I love San Francisco. But please. There is not a single spot in the city where I feel like I'm in New York. Not one.

And that's not an insult either.
Lets make this perfectly clear. San Francisco doesn't want to be, look or act like New York in any way. San Francisco has its own, beauty, charm, character and architecture.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Lets make this perfectly clear. San Francisco doesn't want to be, look or act like New York in any way. San Francisco has its own, beauty, charm, character and architecture.

Thats right. I dont think that was in any way the point of this thread.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thats right. I dont think that was in any way the point of this thread.
It wasn't and I don't think anybody said it was. I don't understand that little rant from Nafster there. Nobody said SF wanted to be like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City