Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What's going on with that amusment park being planned up in Frisco???
What amusement park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What amusement park?
Frisco to contract to buy 91 acres as part of negotiations to attract children's amusement park | Frisco Blog | dallasnews.com

Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Oh, I've never heard of that.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I know San Antonio would be a great location if Disney came to Texas, they should partner up with Fiesta Texas now that would be cool.

I think a Ferrari World like this one in Abu Dhabi would be cool especilly if they built it here in Austin with the Formula 1 track.

Ferrari World Abu Dhabi | World's largest indoor theme park | Official site

Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
2 of my personal FAVORITE Coasters right now:

X^2 @ Magic Mountain

Probably the most unique coaster I've even ridden, just wish it were longer.

Intimidator 305 @ King's Dominion

Cool not going UP the 1st hill slowly like other coasters. I'm sure it's not the fastest, but it sure feels fast!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:59 PM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Might as well include the other Herschend parks:
Silver Dollar City (Branson, MO)
Elitch Gardens (Denver, CO)
Darien Lake (Buffalo and Rochester, NY)

And the KEC parks:
Kennywood (Pittsburgh, PA)
Idlewild (Pittsburgh/southwestern PA)
Lake Compounce (Hartford, CT)

And then of course there's Legoland in San Diego and now Orlando.

Roller Coaster DataBase is by far the best resource for amusement park research.
And here's a map of major amusement parks in the US. Most of Mexico's parks are in and around Mexico City, and the major Canada parks are Playland in Vancouver, Canada's Wonderland in Toronto, and La Ronde in Montreal.

I talked a little in the Disney thread about why some areas (read: the northeast) are flooded with amusement parks and others aren't (most of the South, and obviously most of Mountain Time).

So here's my list of cities I'd love to see get a good amusement park (I know some of these already have small parks):
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Boise, ID
Phoenix, AZ
Albuquerque or Santa Fe, NM
Houston, TX
New Orleans, LA
Omaha, NE
Rapid City or Hill City, SD (I have a feeling an amusement park would be really profitable in the Black Hills if they put any effort into it)
Memphis, TN
Louisville, KY (hopefully SFKK will make a comeback and not be terrible anymore when it reopens)
Miami, FL
Columbus, OH
Madison or Milwaukee, WI (they need something outside of the Dells other than sketchy Little Amerricka)
And in Canada, Vancouver needs something better, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Quebec City need SOMETHING, and a big park in the Maritimes would be cool.
Madison and Milwaukee also share Six Flags Great America with Chicago. Six Flags Great America actually sits smack dab in the middle between Milwaukee and Chicago, so the theme park is basically for both cities. I believe Madison as well, as it's about two hours of a drive to Six Flags Great America. If anything Milwaukee has the better access with Six Flags close by to the south and Wisconsin Dells close by to the Northwest.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
Milwaukee I'll buy. Madison not so much. The few amusement parks/not-purely-waterparks in Wisconsin Dells (Mt. Olympus) are awful, and it's still over an hour away. Milwaukee is even pushing it a little, just because SFGAm is so firmly encased in the northern Chicago suburbs. But I suppose it's close enough.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Wisconsin Dells is that bad? Every time I am in the Madison area I always ask about that and the locals always rave about it.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,502 times
I'm a big kid so I love going to amusement parks especially being from Northern Ohio I had the pleasure of taking school field trips as a kid to Cedar Point. That made me a fan of roller coasters, but I also have alot of family in Orlando and also as a kid I had the pleasure of going to Disney World for free because I had family working there at the time. That made me a fan of theme parks.

Not to ramble too much, but I always wondered why there wasn't a park that had the luxury of having numerous roller coasters as Cedar Point as well as themed rides and attractions as a Disney World or Universal Studios???? The best of both worlds in one park not two separate parks like Disneyland and California Adventures. The closest example would be Universal Studios and Island of Adventures, but thats not the best example.

I also wondered why a city like Honolulu, HI, that's a major tourist attraction, does not have a major amusement park. Sure it has Wet n Wild water park, but I always wondered why there isn't one there. That would make my Hawaii trips even more pleasurable. If there is one that I haven't heard of let me know so I can check it out next time around.

Also, I now have family in both Phoenix and Austin so I would love to see one in both of those cities. I know Austin is located in between both San Antonio and Dallas, but Im sure there could be a nice size one somewhere close by.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:42 AM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Milwaukee I'll buy. Madison not so much. The few amusement parks/not-purely-waterparks in Wisconsin Dells (Mt. Olympus) are awful, and it's still over an hour away. Milwaukee is even pushing it a little, just because SFGAm is so firmly encased in the northern Chicago suburbs. But I suppose it's close enough.
I wouldn't really call Gurnee a Chicago suburb, it's more like an exurb. It's like saying Kenosha is a suburb of Milwaukee.

Six Flags Great America is 45 minutes from Chicago, 50 from Milwaukee, I think its safe that the park serves both cities well. If you live in the south suburbs of Milwaukee you are MUCH closer to Great America than someone who lives in the south or southwest suburbs of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City