Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta
Atlanta 78 26.90%
San Francisco 161 55.52%
I could live in either 29 10.00%
I wouldn't want to live in either 22 7.59%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM

82 posts, read 140,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
One thing, the thrashers are gone for one reason ownership not attendance.
I guess the folks at ESPN were wrong then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
It looks like unless you agree with johnatl you are "biased". Lol...

Like rriojas I am not entirely clear in what way having hosted the Olympics 15 years ago constitutes an advantage. What is this "advantage"? Not to mention that the Atlanta Olympics is widely considered as one of the worst Olympics in living memory, particularly after the spectacular games organized by Barcelona.

I am also not sure that more diversity and better sports culture - even if it were true - are advantages. Many people don't care about either.

Better architecture in Atl than SF? Is this a joke??

Finally, weather and QOL is completely subjective.

So what else you got?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
It looks like unless you agree with johnatl you are "biased". Lol...

Like rriojas I am not entirely clear in what way having hosted the Olympics 15 years ago constitutes an advantage. What is this "advantage"? Not to mention that the Atlanta Olympics is widely considered as one of the worst Olympics in living memory, particularly after the spectacular games organized by Barcelona.

I am also not sure that more diversity and better sports culture - even if it were true - are advantages. Many people don't care about either.

Better architecture in Atl than SF? Is this a joke??

Finally, weather and QOL is completely subjective.

So what else you got?
How cute. You have proven before in countless threads that you are simply not qualified to even have an opinion about Atlanta. Get back to us when you have actually been here.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post
According to the 2010 Census stats... 92.4% of the population of Atlanta is of either Caucasian or Black/African descent and the suburbs are even less diverse... 7.6% does not equal diversity to me. That's not biased, that's a fact.

And I never said gated apartments... I said Gated Communities which all the newer suburbs are filled with. I will agree that this statement was biased and uncalled for. I'm human.

The Thrashers moved because of Poor Attendance and financial problems with Ownership. I read the story when it happened because I was glad Winnipeg got another team, so it's not like I'm blowing smoke. So if that's not the reason they moved, please tell me what you believe the real reason was.

Finally, how can you say I'm biased when you have never lived in SF? Living in and visiting a city are 2 totally different things. I lived in both cities and I know what they each have to offer so my bias in based on my personal experience. So who in this argument is truly biased?
I prefer SF... you prefer Atlanta... case closed. Just don't call me dishonest about my life experience.
I'm assuming you lived in some suburb of Atlanta, yet you are comparing it to the CITY of San Francisco. How special. And I don't give a flip about Government stats - I'm here on the ground every day, and the "only black and white" thing is pure BS. Period.

There are countless stories on the Thrashers leaving that you can access, so not going there. ESPN isn't fool-proof, and attendance was NOT the main issue. The East Coast League Gwinnett Gladiators are packing their arena, so yes - this is a town that supports hockey.

I'm calling you biased because you stated personal opinion as FACT. Loss of credibility from the get-go to me. And you know NOTHING about me. You have no idea how extensively I explored the Bay Area, a place I happen to LOVE. You also don't know that I prefer Atlanta - I would love to live in San Francisco, but I could never afford my Atlanta QOL there.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
This one should be closed. How does Atlanta compare to SF? Atlanta is one of the most overrated places in the world.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This one should be closed. How does Atlanta compare to SF? Atlanta is one of the most overrated places in the world.
As is Chicago.......

See how that works?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Street level architecture goes to San Fran. Skyscraper architecture goes to Atlanta, in my opinion.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

I'm calling you biased because you stated personal opinion as FACT. Loss of credibility from the get-go to me. And you know NOTHING about me. You have no idea how extensively I explored the Bay Area, a place I happen to LOVE. You also don't know that I prefer Atlanta - I would love to live in San Francisco, but I could never afford my Atlanta QOL there.

Ok you win. I'm biased against Atlanta.

Strange that you say I know NOTHING about you, but yet you make statements about me being dishonest and make speculations about my posts when you know nothing about me.

At any rate, thanks for the debate.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Street level architecture goes to San Fran. Skyscraper architecture goes to Atlanta, in my opinion.

I would agree with that statement. I actually think Atlanta has some of the best individual buildings of any U.S. city outside of the Big 2.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
What about public transportation? Who has the better system?

MUNI + BART vs MARTA

IMO SF has a pretty overrated system, it is functional but not nearly as good as it is made out to be at times (though I know there are some projects that are in the works or maybe even under construction.) Bart is a great commuter service.

I have never been to Atlanta, but from what I have read here and online, MARTA is a pretty decent system, and Atlanta is one of the few cities in the US with a real heavy rail subway. It sounds like that Beltway project with a light rail line would be pretty incredible too.

And then there are buses too, who has a better bus system?

It would be great to hear from the locals about their public transit systems, I don't know much about either. (posting the system maps is strongly encouraged )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City