Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta
Atlanta 78 26.90%
San Francisco 161 55.52%
I could live in either 29 10.00%
I wouldn't want to live in either 22 7.59%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, the Beltline is basically going to stitch together neighborhoods that were primarily industrial along the old rail lines. Some parts are pretty dense for here already, some parts are abandoned warehouses and factories. The beauty of the Beltline is that it includes transit, mixed-use development, housing, parks and trails. It is going to be transformative, for sure.

Atlanta BeltLine > Home
I'm curious, what are the densest neighborhoods in Atlanta and how dense are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm curious, what are the densest neighborhoods in Atlanta and how dense are they?
I would say the areas to the east of Downtown/Midtown (including Midtown itself), Virginia-Highland, Old 4th Ward, Cabbagetown, etc.

Sorry, I don't know the numbers.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
As is Chicago.......

See how that works?
Sure, but it appears I'm not alone in thinking this.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well Chicago is probably one of the only cities in the country you can do that in. NY and DC (maybe Philly?) probably being the other three.

Even when I lived in Boston about half of my transit trips included using the bus, because if I didn't I would actually waste time going all the way into DT and then back out (for a trip to Cambridge from Brighton, or to Jamaica Plain from Brighton).

That's where we differ...

And I don't see what is so hard about taking a bus. There are so many resources these days all you need is a smart phone or internet access.
Yes you can track them on your smart phones... But how much percent of bus riders would actually know how to use it?
It isn't HARD it just takes more planning, where as, I know where virtually every stop is on the subway lines, where they go, etc. And if the bus is only saving me a minute or two vs walking, I'd rather just walk.
It's probably a diff scenario than LA though, and even Boston.
This is just DT, you can see all the diff bus routes and options I'm talking about.

CTA Online System Map - Downtown Area

Here is the northside, which is also fairly crazy.

CTA Online System Map - North Area

These don't cover another fast option I also take along with the El, which is METRA (also heavy rail and runs in and out of the city)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tra-System.png

Then you have all your other buses which would cover an LA style footprint within the inner burbs of cook county
http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/...county_map.jpg

Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes you can track them on your smart phones... But how much percent of bus riders would actually know how to use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It isn't HARD it just takes more planning, where as, I know where virtually every stop is on the subway lines, where they go, etc. And if the bus is only saving me a minute or two vs walking, I'd rather just walk.
It's probably a diff scenario than LA though, and even Boston.
I get what you are saying, but you could just as easily memorize a bus schedule and route. And I would absolutely rather walk to a destination or take the subway, but sometimes you have to take the bus in a city like Los Angeles. Atlanta and SF's transit is similar in that you will probably need to transfer to a bus to get all the way to your final destination. Unfortunately their systems are not as good as Chicago's.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM

82 posts, read 140,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Good points. I'd say that having not enough connections for transit outside a central hub is a pretty big issue for a lot of transit systems in the US. In that sense, MUNI in SF actually does alright--the problem is that there are so many damn stops on most of the lines that it takes forever to get anywhere.

Also, yea, smartphones basically make buses incredibly useful for anyone these days. It really is a game-changer of sorts.
Like other people said I think SF's PT is a bit overrated, but it does work for many of the people here. You can get to any part of the city on a bus line and transferring without having to walk much. The city is small and dense, but you can't walk everywhere. Some areas such as Upper Market and the "Hill" & "Heights" areas are named that way for a reason. It's not just a simple walk up a slight grade hill... some of these hills are very steep. Taking the bus to those areas is the only way to go.

Also Taxis work good in SF because the city is not very big geographically speaking. I use Bart, Muni (light rail & buses), taxis and walking and I find it serviceable, but it does need improving. Once they build the Chinatown line and if the proposed light rail line down Geary Blvd. gets the OK, that will improve the PT here immensely.

Another viable option is Flex car and city share vehicle rental services. Those have been a great alternative for short trips to and from the Grocery store and other times you need a vehicle.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriojas71 View Post
Like other people said I think SF's PT is a bit overrated, but it does work for many of the people here. You can get to any part of the city on a bus line and transferring without having to walk much. The city is small and dense, but you can't walk everywhere. Some areas such as Upper Market and the "Hill" & "Heights" areas are named that way for a reason. It's not just a simple walk up a slight grade hill... some of these hills are very steep. Taking the bus to those areas is the only way to go.

Also Taxis work good in SF because the city is not very big geographically speaking. I use Bart, Muni (light rail & buses), taxis and walking and I find it serviceable, but it does need improving. Once they build the Chinatown line and if the proposed light rail line down Geary Blvd. gets the OK, that will improve the PT here immensely.

Another viable option is Flex car and city share vehicle rental services. Those have been a great alternative for short trips to and from the Grocery store and other times you need a vehicle.
I would imagine with SF (as it is in LA for me) all it takes is a little effort (and prior knowledge) to get just about anywhere in the city with PT. I am very excited that Zip car is coming back to LA, they just opened a new office down the street from my apartment. Do they have a lot of cars in SF?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

Yea, I agree SF's PT is overrated. Unfortunately, it's still one of the best in the country.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 PM

82 posts, read 140,395 times
Quote:
Good points. I'd say that having not enough connections for transit outside a central hub is a pretty big issue for a lot of transit systems in the US. In that sense, MUNI in SF actually does alright--the problem is that there are so many damn stops on most of the lines that it takes forever to get anywhere.

Also, yea, smartphones basically make buses incredibly useful for anyone these days. It really is a game-changer of sorts.
Quote:
Yea, I agree SF's PT is overrated. Unfortunately, it's still one of the best in the country.

I agree. I have lived in other cities for brief stints for work and I can't think of many that have the flexibility that SF has. NYC is tops by far, Chicago's is good, but after that most other US cities are average at best.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I agree. I have lived in other cities for brief stints for work and I can't think of many that have the flexibility that SF has. NYC is tops by far, Chicago's is good, but after that most other US cities are average at best.
Yea, mass transit tiers (this includes all kinds of services; heavy rail, light rail, commuter trains, rapid bus transit, buses, etc.) are probably

NYC
Chicago / DC
Boston / LA / Philly / SF
Atlanta / Baltimore / Cleveland / Dallas / Miami / Portland / Seattle

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-07-2012 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City